BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no!!! Sorry to hear that frank. That's a real bummer. It's pretty easy to pull the transmission apart, if you want to see what is broken. It will be obvious.

You mainly have three options:
    1. Buy another used 5-speed, maybe a later model one like 08-up, and cross your fingers it doesn't happen again
    2. Get a set of PPG gears and have your transmission rebuilt with them installed
    3. Get a 6-speed

Keep us posted on what you end up finding and doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear of the trans problems. I'm surprised, looking at your dyno chart, that it didn't hold up. Was it old? How many miles on it?

I had Andrewtech Automotive in DC rebuild my 6-speed. It was a 2005 so I had to use the adapter from Possum Motorsports, too. All in it was surprisingly expensive, but hopefully it's an investment in making sure I don't experience what you just did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Oh no!!! Sorry to hear that frank. That's a real bummer. It's pretty easy to pull the transmission apart, if you want to see what is broken. It will be obvious.

You mainly have three options:
    1. Buy another used 5-speed, maybe a later model one like 08-up, and cross your fingers it doesn't happen again
    2. Get a set of PPG gears and have your transmission rebuilt with them installed
    3. Get a 6-speed

Keep us posted on what you end up finding and doing.
    There's a 4th option. The 5 speed with an LSD and Moore Performance BlastPlates. So far all the guys that I'm aware of using the blast plates have yet to break a 5 speed. it's worth a Google search to read about them. Maybe it's a placebo, maybe not.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 08-21-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Legacy GT trans..... I never had an issue, and I was not very nice to it.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Legacy GT trans..... I never had an issue, and I was not very nice to it.
    +1 on the LGT tranny. That is the base to start with on your rebuild. You can get them fairly cheap at a wrecking yard or on the forums from guys who've done a 6 speed swap into their LGTs.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice, all. Splitting the case tonight to see what it looks like in there. LGT trans sounds like the best bang per buck. I wasn't nice to this trans but it just was a WRX one (07, so not the weakest but also not the strongest). I think part of the solution is a behavioral change (less burnouts).
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, all.
    Hey, hello? Not "all", don't thank me for my stupid advice, come on. lollll

I think part of the solution is a behavioral change (less burnouts).
    This would also reduce fun, but in the end if the car is dead it's the worst fun you can get anyway.
    And again I think you've proven that the trans seem like a weak point for this build, at least the non-upgraded Impreza ones.
    Do you have an LGT in sight already?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Hey, hello? Not "all", don't thank me for my stupid advice, come on. lollll

This would also reduce fun, but in the end if the car is dead it's the worst fun you can get anyway.
    And again I think you've proven that the trans seem like a weak point for this build, at least the non-upgraded Impreza ones.
    Do you have an LGT in sight already?
    Nope. After buying another bike (and still haven't sold the old one), I'm pretty sure my bank account doesn't support me getting another transmission yet. I think LGT is the way I'll go, the more I think about it. Hopefully it's stronger over my 07 WRX one.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope for you it's stronger than the 07 WRX, otherwise it'll break again and put another hole in your bank account.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I cracked the trans open. Found that the pinion/ring gear are destroyed. Luckily, they're fairly cheap and nothing else seems to be damaged. Now the question is, besides doing less burnouts in it...how can I avoid this happening in the future?

I would imagine that someone makes a stronger ring pinion out there, no? Also, this is the time for a new diff, eh?

Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I cracked the trans open. Found that the pinion/ring gear are destroyed. Luckily, they're fairly cheap and nothing else seems to be damaged. Now the question is, besides doing less burnouts in it...how can I avoid this happening in the future?

I would imagine that someone makes a stronger ring pinion out there, no? Also, this is the time for a new diff, eh?

No Burnouts, change fluid more often. I'm a firm believer in Swepco 201. If it happens again, you will benefit from a transmission cooler/pump setup.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    And, yes, a diff. With my AWD STi, I was told that I could gain two seconds a lap (a second a minute) with racing diffs in my STi. I've yet to prove it because of engine issues, but I'll know soon. I went with OS Giken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    No Burnouts, change fluid more often. I'm a firm believer in Swepco 201. If it happens again, you will benefit from a transmission cooler/pump setup.
    Fluid was fairly new (2 track days on it?), and was Motul 300. I will be trying other fluids next time, I think. Thanks for the advice, Chad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    And, yes, a diff. With my AWD STi, I was told that I could gain two seconds a lap (a second a minute) with racing diffs in my STi. I've yet to prove it because of engine issues, but I'll know soon. I went with OS Giken.
    I've heard a diff is good for 1-2 seconds on a full track in the 818. I believe it. I definitely have a moment of lower delivered power coming out of harder turns.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If you only had 2 track days on the fluid- Stay away from burn-outs. Motul is good also I hear, I have never used it. I used Swepco 201 in the 818R and the 911's forever.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    So, not directly related to the 818, but it will become relevant. I took my WRX to the track this Friday. Had two problems- I was blowing some smoke (maybe turbo seals or head gaskets?) and I was SO BORED. The 818 has ruined me. So, the WRX is going away and a brand new pickup truck is coming in its place. This is slowing down my 818 fixing budget/timeline, but it'll be a lot easier to tow this thing around with a proper tow rig than with my early 90's, 6 cylinder truck. Can't wait to go more than 30mph up the hills on the way to the track
    Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Frank! I have been eyeing a tow vehicle as well. My VW Passat TDI is getting bought back by VW due to the Diesel scandal, and I've been researching trucks to replace it. I don't have a daily commute now so gas mileage isn't a huge concern. What kind of trucks have been you been looking at? Will you go open or closed trailer? I'd much rather have open for weight/cost but with the open-top 818, closed makes a lot more sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first time I drove an F500 I almost instantly lost all desire to autocross a full sized/non full race car again. It actually had the benefit of I lost interest in my WRX (now my 818 donor) and my street cars are no longer super uncomfortable racers with $16k in mods. Put all that money into my 818 instead.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Frank! I have been eyeing a tow vehicle as well. My VW Passat TDI is getting bought back by VW due to the Diesel scandal, and I've been researching trucks to replace it. I don't have a daily commute now so gas mileage isn't a huge concern. What kind of trucks have been you been looking at? Will you go open or closed trailer? I'd much rather have open for weight/cost but with the open-top 818, closed makes a lot more sense.
    I have an open deck trailer. 3 reasons I want to upgrade. First and foremost, loading/unloading is AWFUL on my trailer. Far and away the worst part of my tow rig, including doing 30 (sometimes less) up hills in a 55 mph zone. Second, sleeping in an enclosed would be nicer than sleeping in the back of the pickup like I do now(though it's a lot nicer than a tent). Third, being able to lock up the car/tools would be nice.

I'm getting a 2016 F-150 with a V8, a 3.73 rear, and some creature comforts. Combo of my favorite current truck and work discount (we supply them with metal).

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    The first time I drove an F500 I almost instantly lost all desire to autocross a full sized/non full race car again. It actually had the benefit of I lost interest in my WRX (now my 818 donor) and my street cars are no longer super uncomfortable racers with $16k in mods. Put all that money into my 818 instead.
    Yup, that happened to me the second I went back to a regular car after driving the 818. Best part is that the mods for the 818 are cheaper/as cheap as the WRX, and they make me way happier. So, boring street "car" (truck) and fun race car (and race bike). 100% understand why Formula drivers have Camrys and stuff.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Started my install of the side scoops. They look awesome, Kurk!

Ew, gross stains on the old FFR mesh:

Not bad progress for an hour or two. Gonna make brackets at work this week, I hope.

Not cutting out the driver side until I choose and obtain a core for an oil cooler. The passenger side core is for an AWIC, of course.
    Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I have been looking at F150s as well. I have never bought or owned a truck, and I am still having a hard time understanding why a reasonably featured pickup truck costs $40,000 to $60,000. It's nuts! You can get a really nice Mercedes, Audi, or BMW for that kind of money!! Of course, those won't tow a trailer.....

Any reason you are going with a V8 instead of an ecoboost? If I went new, I'd probably get the ecoboost, but if I go used, will probably go V8 instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to throw some thought about engine choice out there: I'm towing one of FFR's new 24' trailers with, of all things, an F150 Raptor. The Raptor does great IF, and ONLY IF, you get a weight distribution hitch. The trailer weighs about 4k empty. The Raptor with the tow package (10k Class 4 hitch, trailer brake controller, tow/haul mode, trans cooler) is basically the same in powertrain and brakes as an F250 with the same engine (6.2L V8). The Raptor's soft off-road suspension is the only drawback and is why the weight distribution hitch is necessary. I think it's worth it to spend some bucks on a good tow vehicle. You'll spend some hours in it, and it's nice to be comfortable and not have to worry about being overloaded. In the Ford line, a well-equipped F250 with pretty much any of their engine options is plenty to tow this car in an enclosed trailer. Can't speak to the Ecoboost, but the specs on it suggest it should work fine.
    Last edited by Zach34; 09-05-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you are a true racer, you wreck every thing you drive. Just don't wreck those 2 pick-ups and get that 818 fixed! Completely fixed for a better life!

I can't believe how small your FFR side openings were. Really, that is so tiny.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you like the fitment.

I will be doing something similar to your side mount IC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight,

What are you wanting to pull? My Audi Q7 pulls 7k lbs without an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for an ecoboost, I'm very happy with mine.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    You are starting the progression!
    Ratty used open trailer pulled by SUV or old pickup. > Nicer open trailer pulled by nicer /heavy duty SUV or light duty pickup. (F150) > Enclosed trailer about 18-20-22ft>After a year of jamming too much stuff in too small a trailer...trailer envy hits and you buy a 26' tag or even a 30+' fifth wheel. Realize you need more powerful pickup, buy a Ram 3500 /Ford 350/Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel with 800ft lbs of TQ. Finally happiness!
    You might as well save a bunch of $$$ and go straight to the end game.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, I have been looking at F150s as well. I have never bought or owned a truck, and I am still having a hard time understanding why a reasonably featured pickup truck costs $40,000 to $60,000. It's nuts! You can get a really nice Mercedes, Audi, or BMW for that kind of money!! Of course, those won't tow a trailer.....

Any reason you are going with a V8 instead of an ecoboost? If I went new, I'd probably get the ecoboost, but if I go used, will probably go V8 instead.
    Yes, but those can't tow You do get a lot of vehicle with a $40K truck right now, in all honesty (the comfort is amazing, the power, etc.) but it still pains me to spend more on my truck than my 818. V8 for 3 reasons:
    -reliability: it's a very tried and true engine and I have friends at Borg Warner who say their cam phasors for the 3.5Ecoboost are prone to failure.
    -V8 rumble (self explanatory)
    -I found the almost-exact truck I want in-transit to a dealer that I'm grabbing instead of ordering one, and it has a V8. If I ordered one, it'd be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Just to throw some thought about engine choice out there: I'm towing one of FFR's new 24' trailers with, of all things, an F150 Raptor. The Raptor does great IF, and ONLY IF, you get a weight distribution hitch. The trailer weighs about 4k empty. The Raptor with the tow package (10k Class 4 hitch, trailer brake controller, tow/haul mode, trans cooler) is basically the same in powertrain and brakes as an F250 with the same engine (6.2L V8). The Raptor's soft off-road suspension is the only drawback and is why the weight distribution hitch is necessary. I think it's worth it to spend some bucks on a good tow vehicle. You'll spend some hours in it, and it's nice to be comfortable and not have to worry about being overloaded. In the Ford line, a well-equipped F250 with pretty much any of their engine options is plenty to tow this car in an enclosed trailer. Can't speak to the Ecoboost, but the specs on it suggest it should work fine.
    I'm sure mine will also be fine towing, as it's rated for 11K and change and if my current truck is any example, you can always tow more than you are rated for Towing with a Raptor is badass, though.

Man you are a true racer, you wreck every thing you drive. Just don't wreck those 2 pick-ups and get that 818 fixed! Completely fixed for a better life!

I can't believe how small your FFR side openings were. Really, that is so tiny.
    So tiny! They didn't really have much to cool I guess, not directly anyway. And yes, recently it's been EVERYTHING. Gonna try not to break my pickup trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Glad you like the fitment.

I will be doing something similar to your side mount IC.
    I think this is the "best" spot for an IC if it can work heat-wise. Drag is more desirable than lift from a top scoop

Quote Originally Posted by jcpresto View Post
    Hindsight,

What are you wanting to pull? My Audi Q7 pulls 7k lbs without an issue.
    I'm sure any of the large SUVs can tow nicely, and do double-duty for family vehicles if you want them. Since it's just me, truck is where it's at

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    You are starting the progression!
    Ratty used open trailer pulled by SUV or old pickup. > Nicer open trailer pulled by nicer /heavy duty SUV or light duty pickup. (F150) > Enclosed trailer about 18-20-22ft>After a year of jamming too much stuff in too small a trailer...trailer envy hits and you buy a 26' tag or even a 30+' fifth wheel. Realize you need more powerful pickup, buy a Ram 3500 /Ford 350/Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel with 800ft lbs of TQ. Finally happiness!
    You might as well save a bunch of $$$ and go straight to the end game.
    I'm skipping to the end trailer wise. 26' is my minimum trailer size. I think a nice 26' can be 3k-4k pounds with a few cabinets and stuff in it. That, my 818, a bunch of tools, easily still under 11K and change tow rating, not to mention I have a bed to put some tools and such in (and motorcycles).

I did 15K miles in my '93 F-150 with no AC, a bench seat, enough power to slow me down to 30mph going up hills, and no creature comforts (AM/FM radio leaves a lot to be desired). I am so excited to have an upgrade here.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have more info about the components of your side mounted AWIC? I like the way it does away with need to mount anything up front. What heat exchanger are you using after turbo/on top of engine?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about the reliability of the V8. The ecoboost gets better mileage but the reliability factor needs to be considered as well and the V8 has been around forever and has been very refined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Do you have more info about the components of your side mounted AWIC? I like the way it does away with need to mount anything up front. What heat exchanger are you using after turbo/on top of engine?
    I do have plans! I will take pics of my proposed solution and upload them next time I get some time in the garage

Good point about the reliability of the V8. The ecoboost gets better mileage but the reliability factor needs to be considered as well and the V8 has been around forever and has been very refined.
    plus the V8 rumble! Same engine as the Boss 302 except a camshaft. After my Subaru's reliability compared to my Ford's, I'm done taking risks on the street-going vehicle
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost Lariat 2x4. I'm not sure if I'll get the Ecoboost 3.5L in the future, I may go V8. Towing my trailer I get ~8 MPG..... ~7500 pounds of weight. The Ecoboost MPG is good at the beginning, now with 80K miles it sucks frankly. I'm lucky to get 17mpg highway unloaded......

Towing with a Raptor limits the capacity due to the suspension. My F150 has 11,000 towing capacity.
    The 2011+ Raptor super crew has a towing capacity of 8,000 pounds. The 2011+ Raptor super cab has a towing capacity of 6,000 pounds.
    Thanks- Chad

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you look at the Ram eco diesel? 8000lbs towing and they sell for pretty reasonable prices out here.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    sooooo, I'm guessing the 2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed transmission is out of the question
    (Because more has to be better)
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    +10 V8 rumble
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I towed an enclosed trailer with a Ram 1500 5.7L V8 Hemi, 400 HP/400TQ for a couple of years. It was ok. Now I have a Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. 800 Lbft TQ. The Cummins is awesome. Super Reliable. Once you tow with a heavy frame pickup and a monster 6 cyl Cummins turbo diesel you'll never go back.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are giving me truck envy. In the New England area I struggle on a few steep spots (down to 45mph) but I normally get by fine with my 2008 Dodge Dakota V6, with roll-up windows, when I tow my 3K lb. STi on a 13' tandem-axle Featherlite. I too looked at new trucks and SMH! Also, it was a slippery slope of money when it came to power and accessories for a new truck. I've managed for years backing up under my trailer tongue without a computerized camera. I'd rather put the money into the go-fast stuff. I could not justify it when I have little use for one for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I bought a Qauife LSD and a new ring/pinion (heat treated this time!) and some bearings for the trans. Gonna have it rebuilt by my tuner (Taylor at Moon Performance) and will hopefully be able to do a few street miles to test it this year before the wintery hell hits. Pretty excited for the LSD!
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, this is been taken care of now. You cannot rebuild it yourself? I wouldn't either on mine, I'm not experienced enough on this component.

Next step: fixing the body.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, this is been taken care of now. You cannot rebuild it yourself? I wouldn't either on mine, I'm not experienced enough on this component.

Next step: fixing the body.
    high on my to do list
    Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I love my Quaife. Puts the power down very nicely on turn exits. How much does a heat treated R&P run? Any torque strength estimates on it?

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast