Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Now imagine that sitting nice and close to a fuel tank and brake lines.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    Ran across this photo this morning.
    Who's the first to add a rotisserie?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Put some temporary wiring in and tried to start it last night. Had a small grounding issue at first but second try it worked great! It sounds fantastic and runs nicely off of idle. Doesn't idle nicely, but it's missing the front O2 right now. We had the fire extinguisher on retainer anyway. So excited!

https://vimeo.com/121585518?utm_sour...B8NzcwMQ%3D%3D

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Sounds strong!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first start!

Post Thanks / Like
    great job man

Post Thanks / Like
    whoo hoo congrats!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! It was a pretty exciting moment. Now I'll be in Sweden for work for around a week, so progress will slow. I'm not -too- upset

Post Thanks / Like
    You are a lucky builder to be there!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    https://vimeo.com/122595258

She runs now! Found a vacuum leak and now I think we're good to go. Tapping in the fitting for coolant this weekend and driving it down the driveway! So excited

Edit: Sorry for the swinging camera; it's awful. I threw the GoPro on the hook and excitedly ran over to the car. Too excited to remember to stop it from swinging, it seems!
    Last edited by Pearldrummer7; 03-18-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Hey Frank, you also might want to consider a heatshield/insulation between your cooling pipes. With the hot and cold pipes so close, it will reduce efficiency by thermally 'short-circuiting' (It's basically a counter-flow heat exchanger... the returning coolant will get heated by the exiting hot).

818's seem to need all the thermal management they can get, especially for an R!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Hey Frank, you also might want to consider a heatshield/insulation between your cooling pipes. With the hot and cold pipes so close, it will reduce efficiency by thermally 'short-circuiting' (It's basically a counter-flow heat exchanger... the returning coolant will get heated by the exiting hot).

818's seem to need all the thermal management they can get, especially for an R!
    Huh. That's a really cool point. I think I'm going to wrap it with the same stuff I did my exhaust with- lava header wrap

I agree! Can't have too much cool! Unless you're my iron block truck in the winter that thing takes so long to warm up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Huh. That's a really cool point. I think I'm going to wrap it with the same stuff I did my exhaust with- lava header wrap

I agree! Can't have too much cool! Unless you're my iron block truck in the winter that thing takes so long to warm up!
    Lave wrap would work, but is overkill... the coolant will never get the the temps that exhaust wrap is designed for. A lower temp rated insulator probably work better... and be cheaper!

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that's great it runs! Close to a real drive, now!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Lave wrap would work, but is overkill... the coolant will never get the the temps that exhaust wrap is designed for. A lower temp rated insulator probably work better... and be cheaper!
    I think your would be best not to insulate the pipes. You want both pipes to dissipate heat to the atmosphere. Just don't have the pipes touching metal to metal.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I think your would be best not to insulate the pipes. You want both pipes to dissipate heat to the atmosphere. Just don't have the pipes touching metal to metal.
    Bob
    No, you might get a bit of extra cooling from a bare hot pipe (how much airflow is there when the body is on anyway?), but if your radiator's working and properly sized, the cold pipe should not be that much above ambient air temp (not enough that the pipe will help). There is a very big Delta-T between the two two pipes, and you do NOT want the hot pipe to dissipate heat to the cold pipe; any heat transfer reduces the efficiency of the cooling system. Wrap the cold pipe, or just put a flat shield/insulator between them, but as is, I have concern about the returning coolant being too warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    First drive! Well, kind of second drive but whatever! It's quick, and just a little throttle sends it all over the road. Nice exhaust note, too! Time to set up an appointment at the tuner....

https://vimeo.com/122920207

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great. Get a body on it and some aero to handle all that power.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first drive!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great. Get a body on it and some aero to handle all that power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Congrats on the first drive!
    Thanks guys! Couldn't have done it without the huge support from the FFR community! Hopefully prepping the truck for its first ever tow (scary...) this weekend to get it tuned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and good luck and the tuner! What are you hoping for?
    Tamra
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    Congrats and good luck and the tuner! What are you hoping for?
    Thanks! I'm hoping for smooth power delivery. I know this motor made "big power" when it was in the WRX it came out of (at one point Mikey had tuned it, actually), but that's not at all what I want for the 818. I want smoother torque than my WRX, that's for sure!

Your full spool by 3,500 rpm is more like what I'd like to see, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I had a coolant leak coming from this guy:

Stupid thing rusted out at the throttle warmer connection. So I deleted it! Looks way cleaner and doesn't seem to leak (I did get it up to full temperature and romp on it a little bit).

Post Thanks / Like
    Over 60* and sunny in upstate NY? Way too nice of a day to work inside!

Prepping the trailer, truck, and car with hopes that I'll be able to go tune and align suspension soon. What an exciting time! I believe the first event I'll be able to make is an autox at Cherry Valley with SCCA on May 30th. It's a day/night event, so probably 818 by day and either the WRX or a friend's Mk VII GTI by night.

Post Thanks / Like
    PHEW! Back from 2.5 weeks in Europe. Incredible trip, even drove on the Autobahn (slowly...there was traffic).

Landed late Saturday night, caught up on some sleep, and spent all day yesterday doing 'Merican things. Grilled, had some beers, and of course trailered the 818 around! Stress test on the truck. We found some nice hills, did some stops, etc.

Truck LOVED it. Though, I am putting new brakes on it and new shocks/slightly bigger leafs. Now if only the car would leak a touch less oil....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh- truck ate a serpentine belt today. Had to limp her home on 2 belt ribs. Guess this weekend is all about diagnosing that issue and general car prep. Tuning is in Lake Placid at Moon Performance next Saturday and the following Saturday is my first autox! Pretty excited.

In the mean time, I made a mount for the intercooler:

How did everyone else mount these? I'm curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did everyone else mount these? I'm curious.
    Pearldrummer,
    I believe most doing a TMIC used the factory brackets to mount the intercooler to the engine block.
    With a frame mounted TMIC, the engine movement it will be a strain on the IC to TB coupler.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    On the drivers side I'm using the stock IC bracket. On the passenger I couldn't use the stock since, like you, I have an STI sized intercooler. I welded a tab to the crossbar, since I have nearly solid engine mounts I'm not as concerned about movement like Bob warns -but I need to verify this with testing.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    On the drivers side I'm using the stock IC bracket. On the passenger I couldn't use the stock since, like you, I have an STI sized intercooler. I welded a tab to the crossbar, since I have nearly solid engine mounts I'm not as concerned about movement like Bob warns -but I need to verify this with testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Pearldrummer,
    I believe most doing a TMIC used the factory brackets to mount the intercooler to the engine block.
    With a frame mounted TMIC, the engine movement it will be a strain on the IC to TB coupler.
    Bob
    Mike, I agree with what you were thinking. My engine mounts are very solid and the engine doesn't seem to move a ton. I was hoping the rubber grommit would be sufficient for absorbing the movement relative to frame. That said, mounting to the engine seems like a cleaner solution overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used the Group N mounts and there is still quite a lot of movement.
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another thought on the intercooler mounting issue. I was at the track yesterday and a Subie guy was tracking his STi for the first time. He did a lot of things right under the hood, but he did not wrap his turbo or downpipe at all. Not even a shielding plate over the turbo. He was cooking his IC.

It seems we have the luxury of added space to play within. Because there's little or no airflow at times why not offset the intercooler where it does not get heatsoaked by the turbo? Why not tilt it more for better air flow?
    What about reversing the intake and having the intercooler farther forward? I'm asking questions because I haven't mocked up any of this yet and don't know whether I'm talking out my rear or not.
    On engine movement: If you have tubing long enough (how long is long enough?) then you could hard-mount the IC. Radiators are hard-mounted. My FMIC is hard-mounted

Post Thanks / Like
    What Scargo Said! Once the hard-top becomes a reality I will be revisiting the issue of IC mounting. I plan to reposition (vertically) & duct it to take advantage of airflow & add room to keep it away from the turbo.

I actually had to trim down my IC to TB hose (because of fitment issues with the V5 intake manifold), so I have less hose-give in that area, but between having one side of the IC mounted to the engine & the other to the frame with the cushioned IC mounts; I hope it will be OK.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems Jim Pampas is building an 818R but is off-grid as far as the 818 forum it seems. Here's a video of their startup. The point is to bring to everyone's attention the intercooler mounting they are using (high and over the tranny longitudinally). Hopefully they'll get the turbo and exhaust wrapped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems Jim Pampas is building an 818R but is off-grid as far as the 818 forum it seems. Here's a video of their startup. The point is to bring to everyone's attention the intercooler mounting they are using (high and over the tranny longitudinally). Hopefully they'll get the turbo and exhaust wrapped.
    That is interesting to say the least. No dry sump either. I hope there is a huge oil cooler also. We do need more 818R's running on the race track, not killing cones . My car could do short sprints all day long. Its the 35+min of beating that is the real test.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 05-17-2015 at 08:49 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    That is interesting to say the least. No dry sump either. I hope there is a huge oil cooler also. We do need more 818R's running on the race track, not killing cones . My car could do short sprints all day long. Its the 35+min of beating that is the real test.
    Huh. Cool idea. AWIC seems cleaner to me, though.

Hopefully mine will be graduating to tracks shortly after its first cone killing session in 2 weeks. I may be at the Glen the weekend after that (if all goes according to plan).

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh. Cool idea. AWIC seems cleaner to me, though.

Hopefully mine will be graduating to tracks shortly after its first cone killing session in 2 weeks. I may be at the Glen the weekend after that (if all goes according to plan).
    Get her done Once you got track, you never go back. Haha
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking her to get tuned at Moon Performance in Lake Placid, NY! So excited. I packed just about every tool I own between the truck bed and the 2 tool boxes. Hopefully all goes well this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Ps just clicked to post 1 to refresh my memory of your build. Nice job on the highlights links!
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I have To agree, the highlights links are a great idea!

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast