BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stacked33 build

Post Thanks / Like

stacked33 build

My stack of boxes and body parts looked like every one's did. That is why I am going to try and focus on the things I am doing to make this like no other 33 Hot Rod in the world. Isn't that what it's all about. Shortly after placing the order for my 33 kit I started building a truly one of a kind intake manifold to cap off the 427 Ford Racing small block I had ordered. Why is it unique? Not only does it have 8 stacks like a normal setup but in an effort to make it more friendly on the street I added 2 primary stacks in the center of the engine to be used for idle and cruise. These 2 small stacks feed a sub manifold system that go underneath the normal system. Will it work? So far it has only been on the dyno with apparently good results but the real proof will be in the driving. Hoping to get it done this spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Stacked Wow! somebody has some serious machining skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I have seen your posts and it looks you have some ideads yourself.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, pretty awesome machine work. Obviously it works, but i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the linkage setup. is that second to last shot showing the a linkage block a progress picture and more machine work was done? Is it a progressive type setup where the center two open and then the other eight? Keep the pictures coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Several things come to mind.1) WOW that is cool. 2) How do you sync the throttle shafts? And 3) what are the center stacks for? They are smaller than the other 8 and don’t seem to have injectors associated with them but may have butterflies.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic machine work and a novel idea.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dang. That's cool. If those two center stacks improve street-ability can I first in line for a setup? Is that a FMS crate motor? If so, is it using x or z heads?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct on both accounts. There was further work on the linkage and it is like a primary/secondary carburetor. The primaries open 3 degrees before the secondaries open.

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for injectors for the center stacks. All the air control is before the injectors. The injectors don't care where the air comes from.

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant 3 degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by stacked33 View Post
    You are correct on both accounts. There was further work on the linkage and it is like a primary/secondary carburetor. The primaries open 3 degrees before the secondaries open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Dang. That's cool. If those two center stacks improve street-ability can I first in line for a setup? Is that a FMS crate motor? If so, is it using x or z heads?

Z heads

Post Thanks / Like
    Very pretty workmanship and concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned to build my own exhaust for this car as I have done before on other projects. But then I came across a company in Fargo ND called Stainless Headers Inc. I contacted them to see if they did exhaust for 33 Hot Rods because they were advertizing they had headers etc. for the Cobra replicas. They did not, so we made a deal for them to use my car as a model to make the patterns they would need to be able to market them. We discussed ideas I had and what I was looking for and a couple of weeks later I had full length header and 3" exhaust for my 33. I did not like the idea of running the factory sized pipes and mufflers with 500+ horsepower as it would be too restrictive. IMG_20140127_165932_886.jpgIMG_20140228_153701_714.jpgIMG_20140228_153718_212.jpgIMG_20140228_153813_239.jpgIMG_20140228_153827_656.jpgIMG_20140228_153838_822.jpgIMG_20140228_190333_415.jpgOne of the photos shows my car with cardboard mock ups of the size and location of the exhaust exits to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just two words.....Sweet Jesus.....nuff' said!

Post Thanks / Like
    That should be 30 degrees. I have 10 thumbs.
    I meant 3 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nifty job. Love the exhaust tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greg g View Post
    just two words.....sweet jesus.....nuff' said!
    ditto!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is going to be an awesome car. Your machine work looks fabulous and that exhaust system is to die for. I can see Stainless Headers Inc. getting a lot of business if the price is right.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's got to be the lowest profile intake I have ever seen. I don't remember seeing anything with the distributor cap above the top of the manifold. Is that black anodizing?

What cradles the butterfly brackets between the upper and lower plates (bearings, delrin, etc.....)?

That's nice engineering!!!

Thanks for the pics,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! The throttle shafts are rotating on bronze bushings and the manifold is black hard anodized.
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    That's got to be the lowest profile intake I have ever seen. I don't remember seeing anything with the distributor cap above the top of the manifold. Is that black anodizing?

What cradles the butterfly brackets between the upper and lower plates (bearings, delrin, etc.....)?

That's nice engineering!!!

Thanks for the pics,

WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what they will have to get for the system. But I am sure someone could buy just the headers or as much as they wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    This is going to be an awesome car. Your machine work looks fabulous and that exhaust system is to die for. I can see Stainless Headers Inc. getting a lot of business if the price is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos (not the best) of the rear suspension. I added a anti roll/ anti sway bar and cut the spring rate in half. It still seems plenty of spring but will find out when driving it. I also added adjustable brackets to the upper control arms so the instant center can be adjusted. I plan on taking it to the strip and my goal is a 10 second pass. I think with the adjustable suspension this will be possible. The differential is from Moser and pattern after a Dana 44. I ordered it with out any brackets so I could put my own where I wanted. The only thing from the stock suspension is the lower bars and chassis mounts. Also shown is my fuel pump and filter system. I am going to try use the FFR supplied gas tank. I hope I don't regret that decision.IMG_20140305_195904_875.jpgIMG_20140308_100445_959.jpgIMG_20140308_100509_284.jpgIMG_20140308_100546_578.jpgIMG_20140308_100619_988.jpgIMG_20140308_100638_003.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you might regret your decision, I know I did. I had issues with mine and was kicking myself for sticking with the supplied tank. I went with the Boyd tank as well and it is a thing of beauty. Now I need to remove body fasteners and jack the body up to get it out. Nothing like going backwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    what issues did you have with the tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    I think you might regret your decision, I know I did. I had issues with mine and was kicking myself for sticking with the supplied tank. I went with the Boyd tank as well and it is a thing of beauty. Now I need to remove body fasteners and jack the body up to get it out. Nothing like going backwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos (not the best) of the rear suspension. I added a anti roll/ anti sway bar and cut the spring rate in half. It still seems plenty of spring but will find out when driving it. I also added adjustable brackets to the upper control arms so the instant center can be adjusted. I plan on taking it to the strip and my goal is a 10 second pass. I think with the adjustable suspension this will be possible. The only thing from the stock suspension is the lower bars and chassis mounts.
    I wanted mine to launch hard as well and that was part of why I went a bit softer on the springs and worked on the 4 link geometry quite a bit. I did add a rear sway but for now it's just about body roll control so it's only a link to link. Later if the launch needs more tuning I will go to the frame mounts like yours so I can pre-load a bit if needed. Have you thought about a front sway with a release pin on one side for the strip? I looked at your pics for the instant center adjustments was that just about pinion angle? I couldn't see how you change IC angle on the uppers?
    Dale
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Man this is going to be a cool 33!!

I'm with Evan, if I had it to do over I'd ditch the stock fuel tank. The other change I'd make is to mount the battery in the trunk or at least accessible from the trunk.

I would think running in the 10's should be no problem if the car will launch hard enough.

Keep up the great work !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to try it first with only the rear sway and see how it works. I have been working on a couple of ideas for a front system but I don't want it to show from the outside. The rear upper control arms have multiple holes in the brackets I made that are attached to the frame so they are adjustable on the front side only. I should be able to get the IC anywhere from under the seat to out front of the car if I want. It is somewhat limited in adjust ability but better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I wanted mine to launch hard as well and that was part of why I went a bit softer on the springs and worked on the 4 link geometry quite a bit. I did add a rear sway but for now it's just about body roll control so it's only a link to link. Later if the launch needs more tuning I will go to the frame mounts like yours so I can pre-load a bit if needed. Have you thought about a front sway with a release pin on one side for the strip? I looked at your pics for the instant center adjustments was that just about pinion angle? I couldn't see how you change IC angle on the uppers?
    Dale
    Hemi33

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome car crafting! From the stacks to the suspension this is going to be a runner. If you can get this to hook AND corner it's gonna be a thriller!!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/st...ml?sort=2&o=36I go carted my car today. Since I can't video myself driving it I will have to settle for the car sitting and idling. In the video it sounds like a sewing machine but in real life not so much. Needless to say it is going to fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    My mom's singer never sounded that good Awesome build I,m curious to see how the rear sway bar alone works out too!

Ang

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful job. Very inspiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    what issues did you have with the tank?
    Sorry for the extremely delayed response. The filler tube is located mid-way in the tank so I found it difficult to fill. It would eject the fuel out the fill as soon as the tank would get about half full. The sending unit is also located at mid level. I had a hell of a time trying to get the "O" ring to seal thus I constantly have fuel leaking all over my suspension and on to the floor. The fuel level on the gauge seemed to be inaccurate because the float didnt seem to have apenough travel upward. So, I went with the Boyd tank like most others have.

BTW...it sounds very nice. Very clean build, impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to try use the FFR supplied gas tank.
    Do yourself a favor and do a pressure test after you have sending unit, pickup and fill pipe installed. Nothing elaborate, just tape off the inlet hose and one of the pickup tubes and vent and apply slight air pressure. Soap up the connections and check for leaks. The most common problem is the sending unit and or pickup assembly not sealing correctly. You may need different o rings. I found the raised area of the locking ring too high and was getting metal to metal contact before it hit the o ring. Based on your fab skills, it should be no big deal to get it sealed up tight. I also relocated the filler to the rear deck so the hose has a straighter shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Do yourself a favor and do a pressure test after you have sending unit, pickup and fill pipe installed. Nothing elaborate, just tape off the inlet hose and one of the pickup tubes and vent and apply slight air pressure. Soap up the connections and check for leaks. The most common problem is the sending unit and or pickup assembly not sealing correctly. You may need different o rings. I found the raised area of the locking ring too high and was getting metal to metal contact before it hit the o ring. Based on your fab skills, it should be no big deal to get it sealed up tight. I also relocated the filler to the rear deck so the hose has a straighter shot.
    Yes, I did consider those things. I replaced the square O ring supplied with a round Viton O ring to resist the alcohol in our Minnesota fuel, thinking that would seal better and be easier to get in with out twisting. I also have a plan to deal with the venting issue while filling. If it is successful I will share it. I did not use the supplied fuel pick up but welded in an 8 AN fitting on the bottom for the outlet and a 6 AN fitting on the top for the return line I welded a cover plate where the old pickup was. So even though I am using the stock tank it is not without re engineering and modifications. I have filled it with gasoline and for now it does not leak. After all that I still may regret my decision to use the stock tank but I hope not. Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you've eliminated the source of any leaking anyway (pickup and sending unit). I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complaining about the tank leaking from any seams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, very impressive machining and execution!

Post Thanks / Like
    very cool

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I missed it in the text, are the mufflers Spintech or something else? It sounds good under acceleration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
    Perhaps I missed it in the text, are the mufflers Spintech or something else? It sounds good under acceleration.
    If you go back to post 13 you will see the exhaust is a custom one off from Stainless Headers in Fargo ND.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast