BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheel spacers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wheel spacers

I have 20X315 wheels and clearly will need spacers. According the the FFR manual I need 1" spacers but that is with 290 rubber. By eyeball it looks like I will need 2" spacers. Any recommended brands or web sites for purchasing? I do not plan to install fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check out Sunnit. Remember with the spacers you will also need longer lugs!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a lot of spacer, what offset are your wheels? I'm using 20 inch wheels and almost that wide of tire with no spacers and I have plenty of clearance. I'd do some measuring before adding spacers and long wheel studs. Depending on the length of the wheel studs and without modifying them you may need open end lug nuts which may or may not detract from the looks of your wheels.

4. Thanks clays123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had planned on using wheel offsets as opposed to traditional spacers with long lugs. The offsets are centered on the hub (supported by the hub) and bolt to the axle lugs, then bolt to the wheel with lugs pressed into the spacer. Pretty common if off road application with huge tires. I purchased my kit in two stages so I still don't have the body (next week I hope). I will be able to tell then if I need to space the wheels out. I don't know the backspace or offset. These are factory five wheels and I don't see any of those details in my documentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    I had planned on using wheel offsets as opposed to traditional spacers with long lugs. The offsets are centered on the hub (supported by the hub) and bolt to the axle lugs, then bolt to the wheel with lugs pressed into the spacer. Pretty common if off road application with huge tires. I purchased my kit in two stages so I still don't have the body (next week I hope). I will be able to tell then if I need to space the wheels out. I don't know the backspace or offset. These are factory five wheels and I don't see any of those details in my documentation.
    That sounds better than what I was thinking. To give you an idea where the body will be there are two small body mounting tabs welded to your frame right above the rear axle. The wheelwell will end about 3/8 inches or so from those tabs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I went ahead and purchased 1.5" offsets. I believe the clearance will be very tight without them and to be honest I am OK with a wider wheel base and I am ok with showing a bit more tire. Thanks for the advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Summit sells some made that use the existing lug nuts and studs and have an additional set built into them so you don't need to mess with longer lug studs. I believe Eibach and Cal Customs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    New spacers installed. Thanks for the input!
    WIN_20140316_190356.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Please Ray, what is your total axle width now (bolt up face to bolt up face)?
    Last edited by MT-ED; 03-17-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used one inch adapters from here:
    http://www.ezaccessory.com/
    I had the 59.25" width rear so now its 61.25"
    My rear rims are 18x11 with +23 offset (6.9" backspace)
    Great site for conversions:
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
    I have 1.5" of clearance to the body from the rim to the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MT-ED, my face to face width is 62.25".