Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2006 wrx engine? with 30k miles

Post Thanks / Like

2006 wrx engine? with 30k miles

Who thinks that simply doing a cobb stage 2+ kit and map with access port is enough horsy and tq? Leave engine internals stock for time being. Will use vcp heat exchanger- and intercooler kit however. Street only build and waiting for more info on coupe regarding ac and heat?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will have all the power you need. A/C and heat may take a fair amount of time to come along. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is good to know. But now another issue. I really do not want to deal with the stock wiring harness and the vcp harness looks great but the different ecu I think is going to take the usability of the cobb stage 2+ kit and map out of the equation. I am hoping the stage 2+ can be used with the tec-3 ecu? New to turbo engines! was hoping the cobb access port could be used with tec-s ecu?

I also live in florida and the 818r is an option but wish it had power side windows compatible with the convertible top but that is as much as getting the coupe. I am still several months off but may purchase this donor now before it is gone. It is a great deal!
    Last edited by scott s; 07-18-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use the stock ECU and Cobb if you go with iWire harness... contact Brian @ iWire
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" are just marketing names various tuners give their packages. The biggest part of it is the tune in the ECU. Then there are the sub-components... things like intake, exhaust, etc. Any time those sub-components changes, you need to change the tune too, not only in order to take advantage of the components, but also to ensure you don't damage the engine. The bolt-ons will will with any ECU (stock + AccessPort or Tec-3 etc), so long as it is tuned appropriately. On an 818, you probably will not be able to use an off the shelf map that Cobb or other tuners will sell you because your exhaust will be different from a WRX and your intake will be as well (most likely). So you'll need a professional tune. Prices for that vary but about ~$500 should be expected. I'm not sure about the Tec-3, but I would guess it has the ability to flash different maps to it easily.... not sure if it's as easy as an AccessPort though (my guess is you'll need a laptop to change maps).

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a 2006ish motor starting out on the 818R. It had a Cobb stage 2 tune (TD04 etc.) It would overboost since I ran a custom open exhaust and invidia up pipe. Throw a muffler or cat on it and it might be ok.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I had a 2006ish motor starting out on the 818R. It had a Cobb stage 2 tune (TD04 etc.) It would overboost since I ran a custom open exhaust and invidia up pipe. Throw a muffler or cat on it and it might be ok.
    i have this issue right now. 3.5 inch exhaust no muffler or cat. but in response to the hp/tq it is definitely enough. i feel has too much tq in all honesty. Im going to need some good tuning or wait till next year i might be going with an ej207 like metalmaker, or doing a destroked build like tamra and andrew. IMO the stock harness isnt that bad if you know what you need and dont need. my friend and I basically plugged in the engine harness and the four ecu plugs and wired everything in between the two. We put lights and everything else on their own custom circuit, using as much as we could from the donor as far as fuses/switches/relays, etc. It is now very simplified. The hardest part was reading subaru's diagrams, they are slightly more challenging than others. Otherwise have you considered having IWire making you a custom harness? That way you can retain the use of stock ecu and the ability to use an accessport.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne's harness and ECU can duplicate what ever tune you want. After doing both VCP setup and modifying the stock one, I would highly suggest the VCP setup. IMO. I installed the first customer owned soft top and side windows on the orange 818S I built. IMO they worked very good. Had a good seal and no flapping around . JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Wayne's harness and ECU can duplicate what ever tune you want. After doing both VCP setup and modifying the stock one, I would highly suggest the VCP setup. IMO. I installed the first customer owned soft top and side windows on the orange 818S I built. IMO they worked very good. Had a good seal and no flapping around . JMO.
    The benefit of a Cobb AccessPort, there are tons more tuners familiar with it across the country where as with other set ups, tuners are hesitant to mess with some other ECU's unfortunately. I found that out first hand before I committed to Cobb.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    The cobb stage 2+ kit comes with 3 port ebcs, sf cold air intake cat back exhaust, down pipe and more. http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/s...package-w-v3-1
    Sure it will need to be tuned by a pro as I am just old school v8 LOL! I am also planning on possibly adding headers and a different up pipe. Most if not all emission stuff can be removed and ignored by the accessport if I am not mistaken?
    I suppose I could go all vcp with the tec-s ecu and build up the engine with forged pistons an appropriate intake for the drive by cable throttle body needed and trailer it to Alabama for a tune by wayne. As this is my first total"build" ( I have restored 2 Camaros a 68 and 69 and a 70 Chevelle ss ) but this is another league and am trying to keep my first total build costs down a bit. Somehow I do not think that is going to happen LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty much my set up for a street 818... A 2006 WRX (EJ255) stock turbo and internals, but with Cobb intake, fabricated exhaust (bellmouth and muffler, no cat), 3 port EBCS, Cobb AP and an iWire harness. I plan to start with a stage 2 OTS tune, but get a custom one done, because without a cat, the OTS tunes can overboost, like Chad mentioned. One thing to consider is if your state requires an OBD port for emissions? If so, keeping the stock ECU, tuning with Cobb, and an iWire harness would be my recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^i second that I have the same setup minus I made my own harness. If I did it again I would most definitely budget for an Iwire harness. Well worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I see grimspeed no longer offers the porting, polishing and ceramic coating service. I was really considering having the intake manifold ported, though after market ported and polished intake manifolds are readily available. What I wanted most is the stock exhaust manifolds ported and ceramic coated to use with the grimspeed ceramic coated up pipe and cross tube that are still available. I do not think headers are needed on a street 818 but always open to suggestions!
    The cobb exhaust will not be ordered if I go stage 2+(way to long!) The replica parts exhaust systems look nice. Have to find out if I need to run a cat in Florida. I am sure Wallace 18 knows the emission requirements for kit cars in Florida!
    Last edited by scott s; 07-20-2015 at 04:19 PM.