Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cover for Alternator Belt

Post Thanks / Like

Cover for Alternator Belt

Curious if anyone decided to install a cover for the alternator belt? Most of me says not needed, but lots of wiring from the harness not far from there, if something were to break free.

If yes, could you share a picture or specs of what you put in?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a specific cover you are thinking of.

I see that Subaru has part #23774AA005

eBay has one CARBON ALTERNATOR (BELT) COVER FOR 02 03 04 05 06 07 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI item : 220395970259

PERRIN Belt Cover Red Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2014 WRX / 2004+ STI)
    https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...belt-cover-red

Post Thanks / Like
    Best I can tell those you linked go across the top of the motor to protect someone's hand from reaching down into the belt. I think what the initial post was looking for was something that goes on from the front to keep the belt from grabbing wires run along the firewall. To my knowledge nothing exists, but it seems like a good idea. If I ever have to pull my motor I think I'll fab something up.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're probably right. I'm guessing if you lay the wiring harness on top of the cover it would prevent them from potentially dropping down.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grathke View Post
    You're probably right. I'm guessing if you lay the wiring harness on top of the cover it would prevent them from potentially dropping down.

Glenn
    I put the ECU dead middle of the rear firewall above the gas tank, this means all of the engine harness wires exit the cabin and into the engine bay right in front of the crank pulley. In hindsight I would have ran them to the sides inside the cabin and then took them into the engine bay on the edge, but it's far too late for that.