BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Turn signal

Post Thanks / Like

Turn signal

The Russ Thompson turn signal seems to get the most attention on forums, are there other viable alternatives? I see finish line has a unit that's less expensive but are there other options. Less expensive sometimes means more expensive down the road. Also don't see any fans of the VW relays, what are the other options?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the relay isn't real popular. But mine took 8 years and 26000 miles to fail so I wouldn't let that be a decision maker.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of two questions. The Russ Thompson turn signal is an elegant solution that looks great and works very well. There are others, but it's what I've used on both of my builds. It integrates with the Ron Francis harness (if that's what you're using) for the turn signals without any relays.

The VW latching relay is used for the headlight low/high beam circuit. I have one in my Mk3, and it's taken two (so far) and even then it's marginal at best. For my Mk4, I'm using an electronic module from American Autowire, their Modublox Headlight Modules 510196. It also integrates directly into the Ron Francis harness and the Russ Thompson turn signal stalk button to turn high beams on/off and also as a flash to pass when the lights are off. My Mk4 build is still underway. I'm working on wiring at this exact moment, and have checked the module operation. Works perfect. Again, there are other options, but this is one.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-20-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the Thompson signal is the way to go. My harness was on backorder so don't have it yet but sounds like it should be a straight forward hookup which is nice to. I will check out the relay. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    North Racecars also has one that works with the Ron Francis harness.

http://www.northracecars.com/OtherItems.html

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Signal Dynamics self canceling electronic modules on 3 builds and recommended them to several others who have also used them. Their latest version incorporates logic for turn signal override of the brake lights like we're used to seeing on more conventional vehicles which will allow all 4 rear lamps to be used for brake lights greatly increasing visibility.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/penta-star-module/

If you decide to go this route let me know and I'll walk you through how to set it up for various switching options (pushbuttons, rocker or toggle).

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff
    I am going to rewire my Russ Thompson headlights this winter. Would this be a good option if I only used it for the switching to high beams using the button on the blinker. My binkers are working good but still having a problem with headlights. I used the American Autowire module and had two of them fail in one year. I have the parts to use the VW latching relay but just looking for the most reliability I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I used the American Autowire module and had two of them fail in one year.
    Yea, you posted in the other forum about one failing, right? Now another? You said American Autowire was working on a failure analysis. Did they ever come back with anything?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recently spoke with American Autowire and they are now on version 4 of the module. Early modules were having issues with electrical noise from ignition boxes causing problems with the modules. The latest modules do not use the internal solid state relays and instead incorporate two standard relays. I am still in the Wiring stage but I was concerned about several failures I read about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Yea, you posted in the other forum about one failing, right? Now another? You said American Autowire was working on a failure analysis. Did they ever come back with anything?
    They never gave me an answer but I never pushed for more info. When the second one failed I decided to go a different way.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the process for the Russ Thompson set up? What do you send him, and what do you get back? Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK C View Post
    What is the process for the Russ Thompson set up? What do you send him, and what do you get back? Nick
    Russ describes on his website. http://www.norcal-cobras.com/store/r...k3/mk3tss.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone looked for a better latching relay? Seems Grainger or Mcmaster Carr might have options. Have to look at my catalogs at work today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmargheritis View Post
    I just recently spoke with American Autowire and they are now on version 4 of the module. Early modules were having issues with electrical noise from ignition boxes causing problems with the modules. The latest modules do not use the internal solid state relays and instead incorporate two standard relays. I am still in the Wiring stage but I was concerned about several failures I read about.
    I spoke with American Autowire today. Since the comment here was about ignition boxes causing problems with the module, I explained that my build also includes an MSD 6AL-2 digital ignition box. I was told the problems were with the earlier 6A (e.g. non-digital) MSD box. FWIW, I'm also installing an MSD 8830 noise filter. I found multiple references in other forums (non-Cobra) that the noise filter helped to avoid MSD module failures. Perhaps that will also be good for the headlight module as well. I'll be finishing the wiring over the next couple of weeks, and am going to go ahead and install the American Autowire module. I'm going to use connectors and have it in a serviceable location.

Post Thanks / Like
    How to Use Your Turn Signal

Part of safe driving is letting the other drivers around you predict what you will do. Using your turn signals is not difficult, and it's generally required by law whenever you make a turn or change lanes. Providing a signal to turn to other drivers, both in front of you and behind you, is to communicate to them, your intentions to change lane or directions. Communications is an effective tool to help prevent most accidents from happening.

Steps

670px-Turn_signals_2.jpg

1. Locate the lever on the left side of the steering column. (This lever will be on the right in any car designed for driving on the left side of the road. Note that vehicles imported from a location where driving is on the opposite side of the road and where they have had their driving position moved to the normal position, the lever may be positioned on the opposite side!)

670px-Turn_signals_3.jpg

2. To signal a left turn, push the lever down (or up if the lever is to the right of your steering column).

You may be able to flick the lever with your fingers without removing your entire hand from the steering wheel. But don't turn the wheel in the process. It's best to keep your other hand on it, too.

670px-Turn_signals_4.jpg

3. To signal a right turn, push the lever up (or down if the lever is to the right of your steering column).

670px-Turn_signals_5.jpg

4. Once you have moved the lever up or down, an arrow light will begin blinking on the dashboard.

5. The signal will automatically turn off after you have made the turn, in most cases, but you must turn the wheel past a certain point. If it doesn't automatically turn off, move the lever back to its central, neutral position.

Many turn signal levers activate the signal in two positions for each direction. You can either push the lever far enough that it clicks, and it will stay on, or you can hold the lever just short of the click position and it will spring back. The springing back position is useful for changing lanes, since you may not turn the steering wheel far enough for the turn signal to turn off automatically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BillJackson View Post
    How to Use Your Turn Signal...
    Really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BillJackson View Post
    How to Use Your Turn Signal
    Gosh... thanks - all this time I was doing it wrong.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually y'all, in Bill's defense... I believe that most cars on the road today must have been shipped from the factory with optional directional signals, and that they must have been price prohibitive in 90% of those cars. What else could explain the lack of directional signal usage on the roads today?

I appreciate Bill's tongue in cheek explanation on how they operate. I am sure all of us have been frustrated at one time or another by people's lack of courtesy in using these simple tools!

I had a nice laugh!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff, there is a note on that Signal dynamics page for the penta star module that says the following...."Please Note: The Penta-Star™ XP Module requires momentary push buttons to operate (not included). Latching-type switches, or push to cancel type switches, will not work properly because these types of switches send constant power to you turn signals when on and will defeat the main purpose of the self canceling feature." Does that kinda cancel out the Russ Tmompson conversion ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fordboy View Post
    Hey Jeff, there is a note on that Signal dynamics page for the penta star module that says the following...."Please Note: The Penta-Star™ XP Module requires momentary push buttons to operate (not included). Latching-type switches, or push to cancel type switches, will not work properly because these types of switches send constant power to you turn signals when on and will defeat the main purpose of the self canceling feature." Does that kinda cancel out the Russ Tmompson conversion ?
    Completely different systems. You'd use it instead of Russ' steering column switch, not in conjunction with it.

Jeff