Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new potential 33 owner. hiya. Bainbridge Island washington

Post Thanks / Like

new potential 33 owner. hiya. Bainbridge Island washington

I am a student in highschool and ever since I looked at the 33 I was in love. That was 4 years back. Convincing my parents has been a long and painful task and this, now, is the closest I have come. My father's main issues are safety, driveabilty and how busy he already is. I would appreciate anyone with advice, especially on the driveability and also use as a daily driver of the 33 hotrod. I really want a low power ford engine and my dad is on board with that. Ultimately I would love to have this experience with my dad and build an amazing car.

P.s. anyone who lives near or nearish with a 33 or similar please let me know
    P.p.s. windshield wipers?

Thanks, Conner

Post Thanks / Like
    To help convince Dad, remind him that you wouldn't have to drive his car if you had the 33!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad and I have decided to go to huntinton beach and learn more there.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly that's a tough one. Not to be a downer but no air bags, ABS, limited side and frontal impact protection, limited overturn protection, etc. I'd put on the level of driving an early Mustang convertible for safety. Is he OK with that? Do you or he ride motorcycles? It's safer than a bike of course, but I drive my '33 with the alertness that I ride my bike. As far as practicality as a daily driver, it's a little bumpy, a little windy and little loud.

However, it's a car you are building so you can do a lot of things to suit your needs. You can add power steering, power brakes, ABS, roll cage, hardtop with power windows, heat and sound insulation, A/C and heat, etc. It all comes down to how much money and time you want to spend and skills.

I guess to answer your question, you need to answer a couple. What are your build plans? (hard top, fenders, etc.) What do you mean my "daily driver"? Will it be your only car no matter what the weather conditions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to the weather here in Washington the plans are a hardtop with power windows, along with windshield wipers and fenders. It wouldnt be the only car if there was snow, extreme conditions or a long drive was in question. As far as safety goes he uses the phase "I'm torn" to describe the safety part. And he is aware to the similarities to an earlier car which is where he gets that from I believe.

Ultimately it will be his decision on safety and that is going to be the deciding factor.
    I think the first few months with the completed car would need to be spent learning how to drive it (versus driving a modern car) so I'm experienced in driving it before any long trips at all are attempted.

You've really helped and inspired a lot of thought... maybe it isnt the right choice.

Conner

Post Thanks / Like
    Conner, when you and your dad are at HB this year please take the time to introduce yourself.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Conner, when you and your dad are at HB this year please take the time to introduce yourself.
    Doug
    Ditto Conner! My Mom lived in Eagle Harbor until her passing in 2011 and my sister still lives on the Bainbridge. I love it there. Would love to talk to you and your dad about all things FFR and BI related!

As a matter of fact, if you get in on Friday you are welcome to join in the Pre-Cruise-In party. Watch the forum for a new thread coming soon...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Conner,

Based on what you intended use is, I think the hot rod would make for a fine driver. I would try out an autocross, it's an excellent way to push the limits and learn you cars handling in a safe and controlled environment. Many times they offer a young drives course with an instructor that you could take out your regular car to improve your skills even if you don't build a hot rod.

As much as it pleasing to know younger people like yourself are still interested in the old style hot rods and I don't want to discourage you, insurance could be another issue. Depending on your carrier, at your age you may not be llowed to drive it. A lot of companies have minimum age requirements for someone to drive a kit car. The one I have made me sign an agreement that no one under 25 was allowed to drive it.

Don't give up though, it just may take a little checking around to find a company to sign you, and with everything it's all about money so in the end you can probably find someone it will just cost you more. Unfortunately I think you would have that problem with any of the FFR cars. Not sure what the laws are in Wash, but if they have adopted the SEMA legislation, it might be registered as a '33 Ford and it might be easier to insure.

Hope this helps,
    George

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to david and doug, I will formally introduce ourselves to you guys!
    George thank you for being so helpful. I have a question; how comfortable would you say it is? (Just like interior wise) Insurance is an issue, I will start looking into that! Yeah I really think its important (providing it happens) to learn how to drive it before I go anywhere far. I thing where I live is a perfect place to learn to drive a new car due to the large ammounts of safe roads there are on this (boring) island.

I can't thank you guys enough, I wasn't even expecting a response!

P.s. still if anyone in the area has one...

Post Thanks / Like
    It actually pretty good, I'm 6' and pretty big guy and it has more room than any other hot rod type car I've had. I didn't think the seat would be comfortable but I've take quite a few 2-3 hour trips and it's not bad. (stock roadster seats). It could use a little more leg room, but it's tolerable. If you go with a standard shift, there's no place to put your left foot, you can't stretch out your left leg while cruising. I have an auto.

There's a Google map that shows a couple of builds in Seattle. You can PM geoffav by PM, he's the keeper of the map and might have some contact information.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...z=4&dg=feature

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Conner,

Great to hear about another potential Puget Sound builder. I'm also planning on starting on a '33 this fall.

Scot

Post Thanks / Like
    Connor,

I will have my '33 at the Huntington Beach Cruise and you are more than welcome to crawl around mine and take a closer look at one. I will try and answer any questions you may have.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Connor, I am a first time car builder and am learning a ton every day. If you are interested in seeing a car in mid build and are ever in the Portland area you can give me a call and I would love to show you and your dad a build in progress. You can send me a PM if you are ever interested an I will send you me cell phone.

Ray

roxan3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I haven't looked at this in a while mostly because of school. I want to thank you all so much for your additional help! I had a blast at hb and learned so much. Evan, I was drooling over your 33 but I was never positive who you were! everyone else who we talked with; thank you so much. We're much closer now to a final decision. It was a great break from school and I can say that I fully mastered LA traffic! Hopefully in a few weeks I can say we have ordered one .

Conner

Go hawks