Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: My Daytona Coupe Build... Ten Years in the Making

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Daytona Coupe Build... Ten Years in the Making

And so the project finally begins:

I discovered Factory Five in 2003. I met Dave Smith in 2004, and since then, I've been pestering him to finish, and later to revive the Spyder GT. That was the kit I really wanted to build. Obviously, that never happened. Since then, due to my military career and all the deployments, I was never able to find the right time to build an FFR kit. Finally late last year, after I put in my retirement letter, I found myself with the opportunity I've been patiently waiting for 10 years. Although not the kit I planned to order, the Coupe is the only one that FFR offers, which will accommodate my drivetrain. I ordered the Coupe in late December, and it's ready for pick-up. I'll be traveling up to MA on the first week of April to bring it home. In the meantime, I've started to take apart my donor, with a teary eye, as I've owned this car for over 15 years.

The Donor:

1988 Mustang 5.0 LX, which I bought in stock form in 1998, and converted it to a 10-second, 1/4-mile track car. 358ci supercharged Windsor, Dodge Viper-spec T-56, electromagnetic differential with 31-spline axles and 3.73:1 gears; 5-lug and rear brake disc conversion; tubular k-member and front lower A-arms; fully adjustable coil-over front suspension with camber/caster plates; fully adjustable custom 4-link rear suspension; 8-point roll cage; sub-frame connectors; Aeromotive A-1 fuel pump, 50-lb injectors with mass-air conversion and TwEECer piggy-back chip, etc. Dyno'ed at 603hp and 650lb/ft torque at the rear wheels, with 13lbs of boost and 93 octane.

Coupe Plans:

The exterior will remain basically stock and mostly faithful to the original (then again, FFR's Coupe body is not an exact replica). The interior will be custom, with full carpet, the Spyder GT dashboard (partial victory), hidden stereo and sound system, A/C, heat, (most likely) custom seats, and a custom full center console. Other items I'm considering are: 3-point retractable seat belts and power windows. Three color choices I'm considering: Midnight Blue with Cobalt Blue stripes, Gunmetal Gray with Gloss Black stripes, or my favorite choice so far, Flat Black with Gloss Black stripes. You guys can chime in with your color preference, if you'd like. And of course, I welcome any ideas, suggestions, and opinions. I also hope to get help and support from the knowledgeable minds on this forum.

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos C; 03-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.