Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Daytona Coupe Build... Ten Years in the Making

Post Thanks / Like

My Daytona Coupe Build... Ten Years in the Making

And so the project finally begins:

I discovered Factory Five in 2003. I met Dave Smith in 2004, and since then, I've been pestering him to finish, and later to revive the Spyder GT. That was the kit I really wanted to build. Obviously, that never happened. Since then, due to my military career and all the deployments, I was never able to find the right time to build an FFR kit. Finally late last year, after I put in my retirement letter, I found myself with the opportunity I've been patiently waiting for 10 years. Although not the kit I planned to order, the Coupe is the only one that FFR offers, which will accommodate my drivetrain. I ordered the Coupe in late December, and it's ready for pick-up. I'll be traveling up to MA on the first week of April to bring it home. In the meantime, I've started to take apart my donor, with a teary eye, as I've owned this car for over 15 years.

The Donor:

1988 Mustang 5.0 LX, which I bought in stock form in 1998, and converted it to a 10-second, 1/4-mile track car. 358ci supercharged Windsor, Dodge Viper-spec T-56, electromagnetic differential with 31-spline axles and 3.73:1 gears; 5-lug and rear brake disc conversion; tubular k-member and front lower A-arms; fully adjustable coil-over front suspension with camber/caster plates; fully adjustable custom 4-link rear suspension; 8-point roll cage; sub-frame connectors; Aeromotive A-1 fuel pump, 50-lb injectors with mass-air conversion and TwEECer piggy-back chip, etc. Dyno'ed at 603hp and 650lb/ft torque at the rear wheels, with 13lbs of boost and 93 octane.

Coupe Plans:

The exterior will remain basically stock and mostly faithful to the original (then again, FFR's Coupe body is not an exact replica). The interior will be custom, with full carpet, the Spyder GT dashboard (partial victory), hidden stereo and sound system, A/C, heat, (most likely) custom seats, and a custom full center console. Other items I'm considering are: 3-point retractable seat belts and power windows. Three color choices I'm considering: Midnight Blue with Cobalt Blue stripes, Gunmetal Gray with Gloss Black stripes, or my favorite choice so far, Flat Black with Gloss Black stripes. You guys can chime in with your color preference, if you'd like. And of course, I welcome any ideas, suggestions, and opinions. I also hope to get help and support from the knowledgeable minds on this forum.

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos C; 03-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Carlos! The long wait will make this project even sweeter for you. Keep is posted on the progress.

Marc
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Post some pics when you can, have a safe trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos,

Congrats on the coupe and welcome t the forum. My question is, where in the heck did you get a spyder dash?

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Better ten years later than never! Congratulation on finally being able to start your project.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Carlos,

Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service. I have always thought the coupe was one of the most bada** cars on the planet. So that's not such a bad compromise. Sounds like you will have all the power you need and the suspension should transfer nicely over to the couple. I like the black with gloss black stripe but I really like the satin black instead of flat. Any of those choices will look great though. Looking forward to hearing from you on your build.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I can't think of a better way for you to honor your current car than to transform it into a Type 65 Coupe. I look forward to seeing your progress. And I bet you change your mind about the color about 50 times before you get to the paint stage! I've changed my mind about 20 times already!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I plan to post plenty of photos and updates during this build.

John, to answer your question, I got in touch with a certain fiberglass guru, who makes GT-40 fiberglass bodies, and who was one of the designers and fabricators of FFR's Coupe body. He recently acquired a Spyder GT dashboard, and decided to make a mold of it. Not sure I should mention his name publicly, since as far as I know, FFR designed the dash, although they decided to discard the mold.

Now, back to the garage, and the not-so-fun process of stripping the donor.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your retirement...it comes highly recommended...and welcome to the madness. It sounds like you have a solid plan that's going to result in a great automobile.
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Chris. I'm used to madness. This should be a "walk in the park"...

After six hours in the garage today, this is all I have to show for it. Hopefully, tomorrow will go smoother and be a more productive day.
    1513847_598326283569768_1083334590_n[1].jpg

Carlos

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Carlos, imhere a half hour south of you if you need assistance . I have built one already. Also, if that's the donor mustang in the picture.....that looks too nice to part!! Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Hey Carlos, imhere a half hour south of you if you need assistance . I have built one already. Also, if that's the donor mustang in the picture.....that looks too nice to part!! Steven
    Steven:

I'm guessing that if you're only a half-hour away from me, that you're not in Ft. Lauderdale. I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know if I require assistance. Of course, people are more than welcome to stop by while I'm working in the garage, even if I don't need any help.

Yes, I know. I've been struggling with the fact that I'm dismantling this car to use as a donor. Unfortunately, I didn't want to fix it again, because that would have put my FFR project on hold for who knows how much longer. I was hoping that someone would buy it, but it seems that no one is interested in a project car. Everyone so far, wants to buy a running car that needs no work. It's hard to part with it after owing it for almost 16 years, and having a lot of fun with it, but it's time for something different. If I can't sell what's left of it as a stripped-down chassis, then I'll take everything off it, sell the individual parts, and have a salvage yard pick up the chassis.

Carlos

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos,

Use craigslist etc. I sold my left over parts for more then I paid for the whole car!

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Carlos,

Use craigslist etc. I sold my left over parts for more then I paid for the whole car!

John
    John:

Not crazy about Craigslist or eBay, but they will be my last resort, if I can't sell the chassis. I have plenty of new and used Mustang parts, and will strip the car clean, if that's what it comes down to.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to report today. Worked in the garage for a few hours, and made some marginal progress.
    image.jpg

The accessory drive, including the blower, but sans the water pump and crankshaft pulley, are out.
    image.jpg

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Today, I was able to finish taking the whole front accessory drive off the engine, more wiring, and gutted most of the interior. A lot of this parts have nothing to do with the kit, but I plan to sell them later. Many of these parts are brand-new, or almost new. The weather was beautiful, with temps in the high 70's, and mostly sunny. I was so tempted to go riding instead, but resisted the overwhelming temptation...
    1477618_599176083484788_1876213309_n.jpg

I had to use some of the daylight to travel to Lakeland, FL to look at my friend's utility trailer, which he graciously offered for my journey to Wareham, MA. It's perfect.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be productive. Planning to take out the steering shaft, steering wheel, pedal box, clutch and speedo cables, and the rest of my racing components, such as: brake lock, electro-magnetic differential electrical connections, and the rest of the TwEECer chip connections. Or maybe, I'll just take the exhaust, driveshaft, transmission, and fuel tank off. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, and whether I give in to temptation...

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to put a slight dent on the tear-down. I've come to the conclusion that I won't be done before the kit comes home, so I've made modifications to my plans/schedule to make it all work out.

image.jpg
    The last of the electronic/electric items from the donor (except for the fuel pump).

image.jpg
    More donor parts; some for the kit, and some for sale.

image.jpg
    What's left of the interior after disassembling 90% of the items I want/need to keep.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    I got some more work done this afternoon on the donor. Unfortunately, my back is killing me from twisting and un-torquing bolts underneath the car.

image.jpg
    Most of the exhaust is out, fuel pump, fuel filter, all the fuel lines, fuel rail and injectors, driveshaft loop, fuel tank, fuel regulator, and shifter.

Hopefully, the transmission will have its turn tomorrow.

On another note, I'm looking for old/used Mustang rear springs. Spring rate or year does not matter, since they'll be going on my stripped down roller donor. I can use 4-cylinder car springs. If anyone has them, please PM me. Thanks.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission is finally out. Not fun doing this by myself, with a bad back, lying on the floor wrestling this heavy pig.

Unfortunately, I suffered the first MISHAP of this project. While persuading the bell housing off the engine plate with a rubber mallet, the heavy steel unit fell on its edge, catching my thumb, nearly crushing it. Thankfully, it's not broken; just slightly swollen, with a small cut.

And before anyone starts preaching about how I should've kept a bolt on, I'll tell you that I tried that; but unfortunately, the dowel pins were longer than the bolts. And no, I didn't feel like looking for a longer bolt and nut. And yes, I learned my lesson. After this incident, I decided to call it a night.

image.jpg
    Tranny, tranny cross member, and bell housing out.

image.jpg
    Look closely. That's the Dodge Viper logo on the tranny. Ten years ago, Tremec only made one six-speed tranny, and it was exclusively for that car. Thankfully, D&D Performance made a conversion kit for the Fox-body Mustang. The kit was not cheap either.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    That does not look long enough to be a six speed. What are the gear ratios?

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrueger View Post
    That does not look long enough to be a six speed. What are the gear ratios?

JC
    JC:

As the photo shows, the casing was cast with the Viper logo. That car's only choice was this tranny. It may not look long on the photo, but the kit came with a shorter drive shaft, and special tranny crossmember brackets. This tranny is about six inches longer than the TKO it replaced, and those brackets bolted to the frame, aft of the stock ones. According to the spec sheet I got with the kit, the gear ratios are: 2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1.00, 0.74, and 0.50.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress today, and without any MISHAPs. The engine plate, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and engine came out.

image.jpg
    The fire-breathing monster is finally out.

image.jpg
    What's left of the engine compartment.

Rear axle, front and rear brakes, spindles, and the steering rack, are all that remain on the car, which will have to wait until I come back from picking up the kit next week.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent the day today dismantling more non-donor parts off the Mustang, and getting ready for my trip to MA next week. Checked my e-mail, and found a nice surprise:

image.jpg
    My finished Spyder GT dashboard, ready for pick-up.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a long journey to MA, and then back home. It took 24 hours of total driving each way, with each trip taking two days. The only problem I ran into was the trailer lights, which I was able to temporarily fix in a parking lot. It was great meeting everyone who helped me pick up the kit, and for the long chat. It's been a while since my last visit to the factory, and it was well worth it.

Lessons learned:

1. I used an open trailer. A closed trailer is better. Glad I went with option #2: (6' x 16' trailer). Option #1 (6' x 12') would have been too small.
    2. There's no such thing as too many straps, especially with an open trailer. Bring at least six of them. The Coupe's nose needs to be strapped down to the frame, if trying to avoid parts getting airborne on the highway.
    3. Bring a big roll of duct tape. I didn't, but the good guys at FFR, donated a roll. I found myself using it during fuel stops to keep things from growing wings. Although parts are well-taped, the wind kept ripping the tape off, especially since it was gusty on my way home.
    4. If you want to get better gas-mileage (especially on gusty days), drive behind an 18-wheeler (an enclosed one works better). Just find one that is going at least the speed limit.
    5. The Coupe's trunk floor aluminum is tricky to put in or take off. Apparently, mother nature had no problem figuring out how it comes out. By the time I got to my first pit stop, that piece of aluminum was half-way ready to become someone else's bad road incident. Some duct tape helped to keep it in place for the rest of the trip.
    6. No one knows what this car is... NO ONE! The top guesses were: Corvette, 240 Z, Ferrari, and Jaguar.
    7. Glad I brought a car dolly that raised the kit about a foot over the trailer's floor, which allowed me to store quite a few boxes. My truck's six-foot bed was nowhere near enough for the base kit's parts. For a moment I thought that I would have to call UPS to ship the rest home. An enclosed trailer would have been more practical.

carlos-c-coupe-500.jpgIMAG1251.jpg
    Picking up the kit at the factory.

IMAG1254.jpg
    Presenting the Coast Guard flag to Factory Five.

IMAG1256.jpg
    Kit made it home in one piece.

IMAG1257.jpg
    My custom-made Spyder GT dashboard I had fabricated for this project.

Spent today completely re-wiring my friend's trailer, since it had been spliced so many times, that it seemed like different sections of the wiring had been changed four or five times. It was a mess. I was surprised that the lights still worked, considering how corroded and loose the connections were. Fixing it is the least I could do to show my gratitude to my friend, for letting me take the trailer for a whole week at no charge.

Next, it is the "fun" part of doing a complete inventory of the kit, and making a list of all missing/damaged parts...

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos C; 05-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I spent the last week or so doing inventory of all my boxes, right down to the last bolt and nut. Not fun, but not as bad as having to clean, prep, and paint/powder coat all the donor parts, and all the new parts from FFR that came uncoated. Definitely not looking forward to that. In the meantime, I need to concentrate on finishing the removal of the brakes, steering rack, and rear end off the donor. At the same time, I need to deal with missing and damaged items I received, including some small issues with the body.

What I found funny (after the initial disbelieve, that is), was that although the order form and pack list clearly state that I was supposed to get FRONT lower control arms, I received REAR lower control arms. This is even after the packer had checked the box, assuring that I had the right part... I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but still, the red flag should have gone up as soon as taking a look at the box for the control arms. It would be impossible to pack the front arms on that small box. Either way, there are other suspension items on back-order, which are the first things to go on the frame, but I still have plenty to do before I get there.

9.jpg
    Love my new car dolly. It's height-adjustable, it uses different attachments to match whatever you're lifting, very non-intrusive, carries up to 4,800 lbs, and makes it so easy for one person to move a vehicle around.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I love those dolly's, where did they come from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HCP 65 COUPE View Post
    I love those dolly's, where did they come from?
    Go to www.uni-dolly.com

Although it is a very small company, they have some good products. So far, the owner has answered the phone every time I've called, and he's been very nice and helpful.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been able to work on the project much this week; but at least, I was able to tear down the front right suspension and brake system. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish tearing down the donor this week, and start on prepping all the donor parts. I still have to order a powder coating system, and add a 220V outlet to the garage for the baking oven, which is doing nothing but collecting dust and taking up space right now. Plenty of parts to powder coat and paint.

18.jpg

Steering rack, front left suspension and brake system, and rear end still awaiting their turn.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos,

I have one for you if you are interested. It's an Eastman, never used with accessories.
    $125.00 plus shipping from 04963.
    Let me know.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John:

Could you please PM me pics of your system, and any other specs? Thanks.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I'm sore from my spine epidural shot therapy, I was able to get some work done on the donor, even though I had to help a friend with his motorcycle build-up. Almost done with the tear-down. Hopefully, I'll get it done tomorrow.

IMAG1271.jpgIMAG1272.jpgIMAG1273.jpg

The front brake system is completely off the donor, along with the power steering rack, the emergency brake cables, and the last of the exhaust.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    The final piece of the puzzle is finally out of the Mustang. This stout rear end will find its new home soon, after a little cosmetic upgrade.
    22.jpg

All that's left on the donor that I want to take off is the rear bumper. That way, I'll have the '93 Cobra body kit (with the Cervini's Stalker front bumper cover) for sale later. Once that's off, I will be able to get rid of the carcass, which will be a little hard for me to do, since I've owned this car for over 15 years.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally done stripping the Mustang. The next steps will be to get rid of the chassis, wire up a 220V outlet in the garage for the powder coating oven, and commence the fun project of cleaning, prepping, painting, and coating parts.

image.jpg
    What's left of the Mustang after raiding it for parts.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Many parts waiting for a new home. Some will be used on the Coupe, but many will be sold.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading about the dismantling of the donor car makes me really, really glad I didn't go that route. Ugh. So much work and your poor little smushed finger. Hope it has recovered (along with your spine). I can't wait to see how all those pieces and parts are going to fit in the Coupe. I have a roll of duct tape if you'd like me to come by and connect a few where I think they might belong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, donor tear-down is not fun, especially when the donor has nostalgic value. My thumb is doing much better. When the incident happened, it felt like I left it somewhere on the garage floor. My spine, on the other hand, will only get worse.

I have plenty of duct tape at home, so I should be alright... Before I can start piecing everything back together, I have to go through the tedious process of cleaning, painting, and powder coating. Not looking forward to that part of the build, although I'm suffering from withdrawals, since I'm out of town this week.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Carlos -
    Thanks for posting your progress -- this is going to be another great build thread!

-wayne
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Wayne. I plan to keep posting plenty of pictures, along with progress updates.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I spent all last week in DC and Baltimore visiting loved ones... and having fun; not to mention that I was having withdrawals from not being able to work in the garage. Therefore, I spent a lot of time on the forum looking at others' postings, and adding my $0.02 here and there.

Loved watching Alter Bridge (my favorite band) live for the first time since 2007.
    image.jpg

Two days later, I saw Lacuna Coil at the same venue.
    image.jpg

And of course, I couldn't miss UFC 172!
    image.jpg

Thankfully, by the time I got home last night, I had some goodies from Summit Racing, Eastwood, and Russ Thompson, waiting for me. Thanks Russ!
    image.jpg

Unfortunately, I also came home to a $452 water bill, due to a leaky irrigation valve. While troubleshooting the sprinkler system, I found that I have a dead solenoid valve on another zone. So now, I have two separate problems to fix.

If that wasn't enough distraction from working on the car, my motorcycle decided to develop an electrical issue, where the engine and the rest of the electrical components keep losing power momentarily and repeatedly while I'm riding. Last time I had that issue on a bike, it was the ignition switch. I hope it's either that, or just a loose electrical connection. I really don't feel like spending too much time on this. I'm burned out on this bike after having to rebuild it from the frame up (check out my thread "The Reason Why My FFR Build Was Delayed Before It Even Started" for more details on this), having to fabricate a new horn bracket after I found my horn dragging on the road (broken bracket still attached to it) at Daytona Beach, and having to make cosmetic repairs after the bike fell over.

I still have to install a 240V outlet in the garage for the powder-coating oven, and take care of yard work. In conclusion, I don't think I'll be able to do much with the kit this week.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    It never ends... While tackling one of the two problems with my irrigation system, I found the smoking gun for my high water bill. Besides the zone that seeps by all the time, i found a sprinkler head missing. So while that zone is running for 30 minutes twice a week, I'm losing thousands of gallons of water per week. My irrigation system is off, and the water valve secured, until I replace that head. Hopefully, I'll also be able to overhaul the valve leaking by tomorrow. Ah, the joys of home ownership... I'm just glad that I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. Otherwise, I'd have to keep contractors on speed dial, and my wallet at the ready.

On a positive note, I picked up everything I need to install a 240V outlet in my garage for the powder-coating oven. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to tell my general contractor to add these while my house was being built. Oh, well...
    image.jpg

Guess I'll be busy working on the irrigation system tomorrow, so no forward movement on the kit yet.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a cool chassis dolly!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast