Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Calling all 4.6L Coyote 3V builders. Help please !

Post Thanks / Like

Calling all 4.6L Coyote 3V builders. Help please !

I am putting the Coyote 4.6L in my Roadster build and have a few questions for anyone who has successfully done this. Please forgive my ignorance but I am building only my second ever kit car and the last one one a single donor back in my home country of England. There is a lot of differences especially as this is my first time with mustang parts. Here is what I have:

• MKIV Kit incomplete delivered last August
      2005 Mustang 4.6L 3V engine with only 100 miles from new
      Tremec 3650 5 Sp manual Transmission
      8.8" Rear end with 355 Gears
      FFR New Chassis Wiring Harness and Ford Racing M-6017-463V Control Pack
      Coyote 3V Headers and straight tubes

I chose the late model Mustang engine as it was Fuel Injected, fly-by-wire and modern. I have the Ford Racing wiring kit with computer and it is a non donor build with nearly all new parts. I ordered an non-complete kit as I had amassed some parts in the months leading up to the order.

I don't mind paying for assistance where I doubt my own abilities, such as fitting brake lines and fuel lines for example. I prefer to err on safety as I am office person with little engineering experience hence my questions sounding naive.

Here is my present dilemma. There is little clearance on the sump now I have the engine installed. I have seen some 4.6L motors that have a modified sump. I may be able to space the engine mounts to give extra clearance but do I need a more shallow sump? If so what do I need to order and where from?

Also, even with the modified 4.6L front drivers foot well with the extra bend there is very little clearance from the engine and I have not even fitted the headers yet. I am also unsure as to whether I will need to use the oil filter relocation kit. Lastly, (and I know this sounds dumb) I have the adapter plates for the headers that were supplied by FFR but do I need to fit a secondary gasket before mounting these to the block in addition to the regular one that goes on before the new headers?

If there are builders out there that can point me in the right direction with these answers plus any other things I should know, it will be gratefully received.

Greg
    Last edited by GregOwen; 03-24-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I, for one, are a little confused, but will try to help where I can.
    The Coyote is the Ford code name for the new 5.0L dual overhead cam, variable valve timing engine. This is what I am putting into my roadster. Totally disconnected from the older 4.6L 2/3/4 valve versions, other than roughly the same (large) size. .
    Clearance from the foot box (particularly the drivers side) is WAYYY tight. I know for the Coyote I am putting a bump out for foot space in the lower half, and a bump in to provide more room for the head up top on the DS inner panel. I do not have any personal experience with the 4.6L3V engine, but I believe the width of that engine is about the same as the Coyote.
    I do know that you do not want the bottom of the pan to extend below the rails of the frame. I am using both a Champs pan from Richard Oben that fits this bill (I believe Richard offers one for the 4.6L2/3/4V), as well as 3/8" engine spacers from Whitby's Motor Cars. For the Coyote the spacers help with being able to use a lower profile oil filter (one from a 2011-12 Cadillac CTS works great) instead of using the remote oil filter relocation kit. I expect you can accomplish the same on your 4.6.
    On the headers, if you actually ordered the Coyote kit for the roadster, the adapter plates may be for adapting the FFR 2V headers to the Coyote, so you might want to have a conversation with one of the tech guys at FFR to sort out your situation. I thing the 2V headers bolt right up to the 3V engine. For the 2V headers onto a Coyote, you need to cut off the existing flanges, and reweld the new flange on. This may not apply to you, as more info is required.

HTH
    When in doubt about what you have and what you need to do, a call to FFR might be helpful. I am sure others that have done a 4.6L3V into a roadster will jump in.

Chris
    Last edited by E-Ticket Ride; 03-24-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, you do not have a Coyote motor..what you have, they call it a mod motor or modular.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    For the record I am with you guys over what to call that engine. A '3V modular 4.6L' tag would make sense but I was totally thrown by the fact that so many of the components from FFR are referred to as Coyote parts. Whilst they may be interchangeable it threw me.

I found the websites and the parts suggested and thank you for the guidance. Incidentally how did you manage to build in the in /out bumps in the DS inner foot box panel?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    The above posts are correct. Only the '11-'14 Mustang GT 5.0L and F-series 5.0L DOHC Ti-VCT engines are called "Coyote", that was Ford's internal engineering name (originally the Hurricane, but that was changed after some devastating storms that year for PR purposes). Just like the EcoBoost was originally called the TwinForce... Anyway...

One note of issue you will have. The FRPP Control Pack for the 4.6L 3V modular is designed for '07-'09 engines. The '05 and '06 engine injector harness will not work with this PN. You will need to swap an '07 and later injector harness onto the engine for the Control Pack to work and connect properly.

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, check out my build thread for some ideas on the sheet metal mods. I can help with patterns if you want to do them yourself, otherwise I may be able to put you in contact with someone who will.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build