Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration in Rhode Island

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Registration in Rhode Island

Hello everyone, I got my 818 inspected today by R.I DMV enforcement clerk Mr. Tom Gallagher. He was very helpful throughout my build and would answer any questions I had. His number is 401-462-5739.

Step one: pay donor taxes at taxation or any dmv location and save receipts. You will need these.

Step two: Pay FFR kit taxes at taxation in downtown Providence across from the state house. At this time it is good to pay taxes on all big obvious stuff like: wheels/tires, seats, belts, steering wheel and maybe anything else that will be a big ticket item. Dave the two sets of receipts.

Step three: take four pictures: straight on front, back, and each side.

Step four: Inspection: you will need all tax paperwork copied, pics,running lights, blinkers, reverse, stop, rear plate light, wipers, horn, hazards and front plate bracket to pass. Not revving to loud might help you also. At this point you will be issued a R.I Vin and you should call your insurance company to get coverage. I am using Amica and for full coverage on 25k is. $57 a month for ten months.

I am doing step five this weds.

Step five: go back to enforcement and they issue you a title and you will have to sigh. Some papers than go register the car as you would normally and get tags... Not to bad actually
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 03-28-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Legal in R.I, went for a quick run after dmv will try to video tomorrow. Kalstar aka jim should be coming by tomorrow for a cruise. Got up to about 100 and the alignment is close but some fine tuning. Rides pretty smooth and glued to road feel. Prob less camber up front and toe and caster fine tuning, but deff drivable and fun as hell. It takes gradual throttle input to not give to much and get its tail out. The more I drive it, the better I am getting. image.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulation on becoming legal! Now wherever you go people will be asking "what is this" and "my dad had one back in the 60's".
    Doug

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Step two: Pay FFR kit taxes at taxation in downtown Providence across from the state house. At this time it is good to pay taxes on all big obvious stuff like: wheels/tires, seats, belts, steering wheel and maybe anything else that will be a big ticket item. Dave the two sets of receipts. "

If you bought these items in State, haven't you already paid sales tax on them? It looks like you are being "double taxed," or does the State just want proof of sales tax paid? You also mentioned paying taxes on the donor, so if you use donor parts, do you pay taxes on those again?

I know each State is different and California is "very different" but it looks like RI is double-dipping the tax pool.....

Ray

PS: Congratulations on getting on the road!
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on being legal! Please be careful because I've seen too many crunched roadsters by guys not respecting the power/weight/short wheelbase. Your 818 is beautiful - I especially like the cutouts on the rear. And, thanks for helping those of us following.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    "Step two: Pay FFR kit taxes at taxation in downtown Providence across from the state house. At this time it is good to pay taxes on all big obvious stuff like: wheels/tires, seats, belts, steering wheel and maybe anything else that will be a big ticket item. Dave the two sets of receipts. "

If you bought these items in State, haven't you already paid sales tax on them? It looks like you are being "double taxed," or does the State just want proof of sales tax paid? You also mentioned paying taxes on the donor, so if you use donor parts, do you pay taxes on those again?

I know each State is different and California is "very different" but it looks like RI is double-dipping the tax pool.....

Ray

PS: Congratulations on getting on the road!
    If you paid tax on items bought in the state they just want prof and you will not be taxed again. On the donor when you purchase it as a whole you must pay sales tax, if parts, taxes on those major pieces, engine, tranny, hubs, column, etc etc. Once again if paid in ri you just need proof.

Ps. Everyone, respect the power cause it's very fast and you need to learn to control it. I am driving it slowly until I work out the alignment just right, but I am pretty sure it is the front toe and maybe some caster needed, I will be working on that and the body to get it close to done for open house, it is going to be close .
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 04-03-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey MetalMaker: I registered my coupe in RI, but now I can't pass the state inspection for the window sticker. They want me to have obd2,and I have a carburetor. How did you handle this last step? My car is a replica, so I can try going back and registering as an antique, but you must have done something else. Thanks! John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have not gone for the sticker yet cause my motor failed me, but Tom Galliger told me kit cars are emissions exempt. I am unsure why you would need obd2? I would call Tom and ask him. My car is obd2 compliant so I would pass, but should not even have to. Call me, pm me for my contact if you don't have it

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to let everyone know I followed the instructions Chris provided and everything went perfectly and was all done in one day. So thank you Chris for making this easy.

As far as final inspection goes (sticker) the inspector said to not worry about getting a sticker for the first two years as it is considered a new vehicle if registered current. As far as getting a sticker goes it should be fairly easy in RI as we are emissions exempt on RSP cars. RSP is unknown as to what it stands for but it could be reconstructed special production etc. For instance my car is registered as a 2014 RSP 818S. If you are OBDII any station can do it. If you are not you would have to go to the state inspection station (or call them) to get it straightened out. Tom Gallagher as mentioned above would be a good contact to ask about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have an OEM Catted downpipe for an 02 wrx? My donor did not come with one and they have changed the way they do inspections in RI since the last post on here. Tom no longer does the inspections since he has been out sick for about 2 months now. I hope he is ok, he seemed like a cool guy when I talked to him. I had to trailer my 818 to the DMV inspection garage and they did a full inspection like it was a salvage vehicle. They failed my because of my exhaust and since my donor came with straight pipes, I do not have the OEM cat that I need to pass inspection. If anyone around RI has one that I could borrow for a few days to get my VIN assigned that would be awesome, I would be willing to drive to pick it up and drop it back off after.