Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GM TKO install

Post Thanks / Like

GM TKO install

GM TKO install
    1. Has anyone done a frame mod for removal of only the trans from below ?

2. Is there any trans case mods for the install ?

3. Which shifter stick location has most everyone gone with ?
    19.52"
    16.75"
    12.68"
    7.02"

I haven't received the trans yet and just want some heads up info.

Thanks.
    Beretta

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw your old post on the GM TKO. I am doing the same build with a SBC 350 with a tremac TKO 600. Did this build work for you? FF says that i should use the rear shifter position. Which did you use? I am also trying to find a bellhousing that will work? Any thoughts. thanks. D. Sullivan

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an LS3 with. TKO 500. I used the rear position and the shifter handle has a slight bend. See pic. It's real comfortable for me. No frame mods needed. I do recall that there are some spacers used to attach the trans to the frame. I think I saw somewhere that it might be a good idea to beef the trans support plate on the frame a little as frequent flexing under high torque could cause fatigue cracking. I did not and haven't had any issues, about 5000 miles. It is a blast to drive.

image.jpeg
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed my chevy 350 with a TKO and I am currently using the furthest rear shifter position. Judging by how it aligns with the steering wheel (I don't have the interior installed yet) I don't think you will want it any more forward, but potentially might need the 2nd to last position (which is an easy swap from the furthest rear). I'll take a look at my set up to see if you could pull it from below, you might be able to by just removing the transmission mount plate, but it would be a heck of a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, I used a GM 621 bellhousing from summit with a hydraulic throwout bearing. Just fyi, the mechanical clutch quadrant and cable provided by FF5 will not work with a gm clutch fork since you need to push rather than pull like on a ford.