Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Hemi interest?

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    All Mopar is easier for sure. GM adapter with GM bell and GM TKO works for right side starter also on the early hemi, but I had other desires here. Another possibility is to use the GEN III flexplate in front of the Ram flywheel by chamfering the flywheel to clear the ring gear welds. This does a couple things. It lets the Ford TKO get closer to the clutch fingers and allows a thinner adapter so the bolts are shorter. Oh well. Couldn't get the Richmond side shifter next to the Kirkey seat and it all went down hill from there.
    IMG_20170107_155719_958 (361x640).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    All Mopar is easier for sure. Another possibility is to use the GEN III flexplate in front of the Ram flywheel by chamfering the flywheel to clear the ring gear welds. IMG_20170107_155719_958 (361x640).jpg
    For what it's worth the flexplate I used on my Gen 3 has 1/4" offset in it to correct the crank to BH delta. That one might have stacked with a flywheel. BUT it was about a
    12" dia for the 518 bell instead of the 15" ish that is normal on the Gen 3 flywheel. So back to the parts tango, one step forward and two steps back seems normal.
    Mine is resolved/all good on the engine tranny mating I just have to find or make the crank bushing for the input shaft.
    DB

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Frankenbell seems to be a success. Starter starts the engine and I got through the gears sitting on the stands, so I'll see how it holds up when I can get road time. Clutch needs a little more travel, but is ok. Time to fight with the Ron Francis mkIV harness and gauges now.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_20170518_130515_757 (640x309).jpg

TKO is shifting smooth and the only strange noises came from the passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark
    WOO HOO
    It's great to see the EH ride on the road. You should take it to the FF open house next month even if it has to be trailered in.
    The one off build will get a lot of attention and Dave loves to see a 33 built that way.
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dale, I already have a trailer ride June 10th for a local show that benefits something. If things go spectacularly I could be driving to the Syracuse Nationals in July which somehow have landed on top of Chryslers at Carlisle. I don't think they will let me in at the Ford event... even if it is towed by a 69 F250. This means the Lassie truck (58 Dodge) will need at least historical plates on it if the rod isn't licensed.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I obviously am still not Licensed in NY and haven't even submitted the paperwork, BUT! however , comma,,, My brother and I have run the car in a couple local solo auto cross events. The last one was on a 90*+ day with street legal Hankooks on the fake Bullit rims. We made over 16 passes with no issues. Radiator didn't blow out, Fan worked great, oil pressure hung in there, TKO is shifting fine, Frankenclutch and pilot bearing adapter haven't grenaded or seized, The electric steering didn't overheat and the mount I made didn't rip off, Brakes even work. The car responds and recovers very well to steering and brake input. I'm not using the brakes that hard as the engine braking is pretty good as I had hoped.
    My brother was driving smoother and getting better times, while I was pushing the car to find my limit. I had the car sideways a couple times and never plowed the cones. As soon as I lift I have control back on the front. I have hit the brakes hard enough to stall the car when I don't get the left foot coordinated. Foot box is very tite, but we aren't getting tangled up in it.
    Hemi isn't even getting opened up yet. I am happy with my choice of a mild roller camshaft and 112* lobe separation. Bottom end response is very good. The only issue is a slightly "weak" idle magnified by the aluminum flywheel which shows up on a "limp foot" launch. I haven't broke the 3 link set up, but, I haven't really tried launching it that hard. Fully adjustable 4 link is under the parts bench. Thinking about a trip to the local chassis Dyno. The engine sounds great on throttle, but is smooth on idle which tricks the armchair spectators. All you really hear is the solid roller tap at an idle.
    So I'm claiming victory on building the '55 Desoto Hemi and moving on to finishing the Plymouth body work over the winter.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark
    If you decide to drive the 33 to the FF open house next year keep us posted. I may have to fly in to see that show.
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like

Sleeper Iron

Will do Dale, more to come on the body work. Hope to have an EFI in place of the oversized edelbrock in the spring. I need the carb back on my cuda and the whole idea of the chevy cowl induction on the Plymouth hood on the fordesque body was to get a high rise intake on it. I'm running the original iron 4bbl manifold modified to the large bore carb plate for now. I had a lot of positive comments at the course. With the stiff Konis I was getting air under one wheel and my scuff was on the outside of the tire so more camber is in order. I don't think I could have pushed it as hard without adding the electrasteer at the last minute. You really can't appreciate how responsive the car is until you sit on the passenger side and just hang on. Without the Kirkey seats and harness your all over the place. One of the veterans who runs a 66 vette on Hoosier A7's was very interested in the set up. He was really interested when I told him it was 2600lbs and 50/50 distribution.
    If I had showed up with a genIII Daytona I think a protest would have been made, but when you have old iron in an old looking rat rod its sleeper time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    I dont expect more than 350hp out of the little motor. I do expect peak torque to be lower in the rpm band than a large bore small block. These are long rod motors. I'm using small valve heads and mild lift by todays standards. My theory is that with an aluminum flywheel, 11:1 compresson, and 3.73 rear, I won't have the slushy torque converter response I have in my big block car ( 68 hemi cuda). I actually hope I need to drop to 3.55 gears so I have an excuse to get a Moser rear...
    You get 300-350 to the wheels I think you will be very happy. I love the detailing on the engine. Awesome build.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I would bump this back up after Dave posted the video with Scott Hesplers 392. Don DePontees photo bucket stuff earlier in this thread took a hit as many did, but there may be some links to Scott's build.
    I had forgotten how many iterations I tried at the beginning. Once I saw Don's application of the QT Bellhousing I went down my own rabbit Hole. My little 298 Desoto has a 112 degree LSA and less overlap so it idles reasonable smooth, but, it has that same sound we look for in the midrange as you can hear in Daves video.

FWIW the aluminum block GenIII is available in a couple iterations now. Mopar block is good for maybe 10-12lbs boost before it splits. Another company has a beefier iteration for power adders. You don't need much more than the stock whipple at 6-8lbs for an FFR 33 anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw that awhile back tony. I like that its cast in the U.S. and will use a Windsor manifold. It would look great in a 33 or 35 pickup and much easier than the big Jon Kaase Boss Nine to get in a chassis. Price looks good in the article also. I always get a kick out of people talking trash about the Hemi and yet almost every major V-8 has been converted to Hemi heads at one time or another. So are you getting one built?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12