Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seat Belt Mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Belt Mounting

We can see that the "R" has lower seat belt tabs welded to the frame, the "S" doesn't

The manual has absolutely no mention in it concerning the lower belt mounts and has provisions for the intertia reels from both wagon and sedan as well as the "pivot" point above the shoulder.

Unlike most I'm "attempting" to use the stock seats, it gets harder as I progress...

How is everyone mounting the lower belt points with their harnesses or the stock belts? The stock seatbelt's lower brackets don't lend themselves to being used due to the way that they are bent. Metal, Jerome, Eric, Wayne, you have operating cars, what did you guys do???? The easy out would be to use the seat brackets, however that is not what is normally done and wouldn't meet the requirements of most sanctioning bodies.

I made up four weld on frame tabs. Naturally my build is far beyond where it really should be to weld these to my powder coated frame.

If I do weld them where they are on the "R" frame the stock seats essentially fill up the space and the bolts and belts interfere with the seats, especially with my driver's seat on an adjustable seat track.

Solutions???

I'm feeling as if there really was never any focus on being able to use the big, bulky stock seats or stock seat belts. Between distance to the pedals and height concerns, the FFR seat brackets can't be used as provided unless you are less than 5' 3" feet tall
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I had tabs welded in for the lap belts and I bolted through the 1"x1" tube behind the seat for my anti-submarine belts. I'm not trying to use the stock seatbelts, though...
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    did you put them about a foot from the rear firewall, approx where they are on an "R" frame?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the positions of the R tabs

Distance from the rear bar

WP_20140402_002.jpg

Distance from the inside bar to tunnel mount tab

WP_20140401_003.jpg WP_20140401_004.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    As I expected...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm nearing that fork in the road. I don't want to start hacking the stock seat to make it fit (rendering it unsellable) unless I feel confident my semi-wookie status will fit. I put that aside for the last few weeks while learning about the spaghetti mess of hoses and tubes wrapped around the engine. Literally plugging up loose ends, while my ankle heals.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    how big are you? I'm 5' 8" after getting off my inversion table. I had to chop the crap out of the FFR brackets and I barely fit with the seat all the way back. I added sliders for my petite wife...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    We can see that the "R" has lower seat belt tabs welded to the frame, the "S" doesn't

The manual has absolutely no mention in it concerning the lower belt mounts and has provisions for the intertia reels from both wagon and sedan as well as the "pivot" point above the shoulder.

Unlike most I'm "attempting" to use the stock seats, it gets harder as I progress...

How is everyone mounting the lower belt points with their harnesses or the stock belts? The stock seatbelt's lower brackets don't lend themselves to being used due to the way that they are bent. Metal, Jerome, Eric, Wayne, you have operating cars, what did you guys do???? The easy out would be to use the seat brackets, however that is not what is normally done and wouldn't meet the requirements of most sanctioning bodies.

I made up four weld on frame tabs. Naturally my build is far beyond where it really should be to weld these to my powder coated frame.

If I do weld them where they are on the "R" frame the stock seats essentially fill up the space and the bolts and belts interfere with the seats, especially with my driver's seat on an adjustable seat track.

Solutions???

I'm feeling as if there really was never any focus on being able to use the big, bulky stock seats or stock seat belts. Between distance to the pedals and height concerns, the FFR seat brackets can't be used as provided unless you are less than 5' 3" feet tall
    Glad I found this. I'm also trying to mount the wagon version of the seat belts, and there is no mounting point on the frame for the lower lap belt tabs. Any suggestions for a solution that does not involve welding, or do I have to bring in a welder just for this one issue?
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    depends on your seats, some can have the belts attached to the seat rail in the lower corner. You just don't want to attach to ONLY the seat. I've seen photos of early seats and the mounting bracket uses that rear lower seat bolt. Be careful for rubbing. Great GRM article on belts location, I forget what issue

You could bolt in the tabs that I welded in...

photos on my build thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Thread/page14
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 04-18-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    how big are you? I'm 5' 8" after getting off my inversion table. I had to chop the crap out of the FFR brackets and I barely fit with the seat all the way back. I added sliders for my petite wife...
    Sorry I missed this. I wasn't on here as much the last couple weeks, sprained ankle slowing me down. I'm 5'11'. I think I'm going aftermarket on seats, but not sure yet. I was working on the lower belt mounts at the same time without a lot of progress. I had planned to bolt the outer bottom mount through the 1-1/2" frame rail using a sleeve to support the rail. But the bolt size takes a lot of meat out from the smaller tubing inboard. I hadn't worked that side out yet. An initial thought was a bracket with multiple mounting points that the buckle could then mount to with the larger 7/16" bolt.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone asked for the factory to provide the R mounts on an S frame? I want to use 4/5 point harness with aftermarket seats

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwarden View Post
    Has anyone asked for the factory to provide the R mounts on an S frame? I want to use 4/5 point harness with aftermarket seats
    been asking since BEFORE the first frame was welded. Wanted all frames to have the harness bar too... I've had many conversations with FFR on this subject... w/no joy
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    been asking since BEFORE the first frame was welded. Wanted all frames to have the harness bar too... I've had many conversations with FFR on this subject... w/no joy
    We talked about this too when I saw your car. Seems like an easy thing to add when the frame is being welded up.