Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Harness Terminals

Post Thanks / Like

Harness Terminals

Hi guys, as I am building the engine harness I notice the wiring from my ECU to the engine harness is way to long. I want to eliminate the "front" harness,therefore running the wires from the ECU directly to the "engine" harness by crimping new pin terminals onto the wires and then installing into the black,brown, and grey engine connectors.
    There fore eliminating any butt splices in the harness,

Does anybody have the part numbers of these terminals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Does anybody have the part numbers of these terminals?
    I haven't found any online retailers who will sell just the terminals/connectors/plugs. Everything I have seen involves buying the harnesses as whole units, which would run $2k+ for all three pieces (front, bulkhead, rear.)
    Bulkhead Harness

It would be great to get just the connectors and make a new harness using the originals in their new homes as a template for length and color. I recall a couple years ago someone managed to track down the manufacturer for the connectors (think it was on a Subaru forum but might have been on a Nissan forum instead) and tried to get a group buy going since the manufacturer would only sell them in groups of 500 or so. As you can imagine there was not enough interest to push things through, which would likely be the same in this case.

I hope someone else jumps in with a better answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember back to that thread on nasico. You can't just buy these connectors, best bet is to cut and splice, but with most ecu wiring, the resistance in these circuits have a tolerance and those ohms need to be realized prior to cutting it all apart or you might not be happy with cel lights etc. don't get me wrong, most of the time you will be ok, just try to match resistance to know you covered the bases. I personal think you would be ok, but maybe an experienced electrical engineer can chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea if the pins are a standard form factor? The next best thing might be to de-pin the plug and run new wires/pins with the old connectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boog View Post
    Any idea if the pins are a standard form factor? The next best thing might be to de-pin the plug and run new wires/pins with the old connectors.
    There as no "standard form pin". Each manufacture has 30 different kinds of pins and there are 100's of connector manufactures.

If you want to make a new harness. Replace both side of the engine connectors. I recommend Deutsch DT and DTM series of connector. A couple of bucks per connector and 75 cents per pin. 300 bucks for the crimp tool. I've been using these connectors for the last 15 years on 100s of vehicles with 100% reliability.
    Bob

http://www.laddinc.com/images/storie...ch_Catalog.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, This is exactly what I will be doing I have spent countless hours not finding anything specific. I will be using the ECM plugs and wiring into a new multipin plug and receptacle into the engine harness. the whole harness for the engine will only be a couple feet long.
    here is another type sealed plug. http://terminalsupplyco.com/DelphiPackard.aspx
    We just have to make sure the wire size and current on the circuit match the load rating of the terminals.

Post Thanks / Like
    While this is old, I should point out that I found sources from posts here on the FFR forum.
    IWire sells old Subaru harness connectors.
    Coil connectors.
    Nippon Denso Type Injector Connector Kit.
    List I made of needed connectors for a complete wiring harness. By Redfogo.
    Mechie3's picture list of all connectors for an '06 WRX Sedan with Auto AC/HVAC

I feel like I have missed a major item. I seem to remember seing a source for new stock (Subaru style) connectors. I think it was on the 818 forum.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like

ECU Terminal pin extraction tool

This thread name seemed to fit for search purposes... thanks Scargo

The following pix show a tool you can make (use whatever you prefer vs a screwdriver)... And the motions you need to follow to extract the ECU connector terminal pins, combination meter conn-pins and probably any number of the other small high density connectors' pins, type "Mulitlock .025" made by AMP in earlier years and newer owner of the line, TE Connectivity Products.

Their tool runs $50 to $100, but this works just fine on the cheap, if you are careful with it. Pictures take over from here:

Last edited by aquillen; 07-19-2017 at 05:34 PM.

9. Thanks Scargo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks aquillen
    I've been looking for this information for 2 years.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree with Bob! You've shared a lot of good information! Mostly, I think we have just guessed at how it's done. Recently I cut a connector apart so I could see how it was engineered. For that one it still didn't help too much. ;( Some are a beech.
    I grind on bad jeweler's screwdriver bits, hacksaw blades and the like. As I mentioned somewhere, thin brass tubing is the key to some round pins. I'm not sure how much they are used anymore on OEM automotive connectors.