Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ...and so it begins, placed my order

Post Thanks / Like

...and so it begins, placed my order

So, by way of introduction, I've been hovering around the message board and gathering information for at least the past year after having fell in love with the factory five kits at an autocross 12 years ago. Made a trip down to Wareham while in the Boston area on business earlier this year and finally decided to pull the trigger with the spring sale going on.

Current build plans are as follows - still a few final decisions to make, but it's time to at least get things moving. Plans for the car are mostly street driving, a few track days per year. General goal is to have the car drivable in gel coat next summer, shake it down for a season, then send in for bodywork and paint over the winter.

Complete Kit w/ IRS
    EFI 351w - still deciding on 302 vs. 351, definitely going fuel injected
    Loaded up on accessories with the spring sale (offset replica wheels, big&tall seats after trying them out at the factory, upgraded brakes, chrome rollbars & exhaust at the wife's request)
    Color still TBD, thinking dark purple, metallic, with silver stripes. No black per the wife

Happy to be here and posting - I've learned a lot already, looking forward to sharing what I can once the building starts.

-matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congratulations on the purchase. Tour build plans sound like a very nice combination.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I too just placed my order and have a June delivery. Can't wait. I ordered the Complete kit as well and ordered a 351w 427 from Engine Factory. I was hoping for some feedback on some of the options and you may have some of the same questions:
    -Moser no longer produces the FFR straight axle rear end. they replaced it with a different version but it requires a different or modified driveshaft. Any good sources for the original driveshaft (new)?
    -I didn't order the Willwood brakes but wonder if I made the worng choice. I still have time to change the order. Any thoughts on the brakes or front vs. rear, etc?
    -Same thing on IRS vs. straight axle. How big of a difference is there?

I've been reading these posts for a while now and can't believe how helpful everybody is. I hope to contribute some as I build as well...
    -Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!! Picked my up on Saturday. First step is to get the inventory done.
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    I too just placed my order and have a June delivery. Can't wait. I ordered the Complete kit as well and ordered a 351w 427 from Engine Factory. I was hoping for some feedback on some of the options and you may have some of the same questions:
    -Moser no longer produces the FFR straight axle rear end. they replaced it with a different version but it requires a different or modified driveshaft. Any good sources for the original driveshaft (new)?
    -I didn't order the Willwood brakes but wonder if I made the worng choice. I still have time to change the order. Any thoughts on the brakes or front vs. rear, etc?

I've been reading these posts for a while now and can't believe how helpful everybody is. I hope to contribute some as I build as well...
    -Brian
    Some answers to the things I have an answer to:

Can't speak to rear end sourcing, wasn't planning on a solid axle. I'm still sorting out my options for sourcing and refurb of the IRS rear end.

Brakes - the general feeling I've got is that stock equivalent brakes, on a car that weighs 1000+ lbs less than design intent, are more than sufficient. As the guys at FFR put it when I took a tour, the larger brakes are more of a bling factor, and I'd agree with that.

IRS vs. straight axle - everyone's got an opinion. The general conclusion I came to after reading and riding in a few is that IRS is going to provide for a smoother ride, increases resale value, and provides more adjustability. From a handling perspective, the 3-link or levy 5-link can both be tuned for arguably better performance. My choice came down to comfort - I'm building this to cruise around in first and foremost, and for occasional track days, so that dictated IRS.

-matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    congats and welcome..
    Delivered 11/12/11
    2014 small fall cruise http://youtu.be/fwk0TXXZGEU
    First Start: http://youtu.be/547P6SHGixI
    Go Kart 2/12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSUL-6q15k

Post Thanks / Like
    msaskin- recommend you go w/ the 351. The basic engine is significantly stronger than the 302. The extra cubes let you get any given amount of power from a milder tune. My 400 hp 351 can easily be driven at 1300 in 5th. Also, the intake and exhausts are different between the two due to the taller 351 block. So if you start w/ a 351 you can always upgrade from there w/o needing new intake and exhaust. In my mind, unless you want to drag race w/ drag tires, the irs is the way to go. The FFR koni setup gives a sporty ride that handles well but is certainly not too stiff for daily cruising. RE; brakes. The FFR needs a lot more rear brake than a Mustang. Especially if you stick w/ mustang calipers, be sure to get the Wilwood dual MC setup that is adjustable for front to rear balance.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig - appreciate the advice. That's more or less my thought process on the engine as well. If you don't mind, I'd like to know where you sourced engine (and what transmission, etc.) from.

As for brakes, going with the upgraded wilwood brakes anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!! Metallic purple sounds really cool. Don't think I've seen one. My build hasn't started yet but I also made the decision of using EFI on my 351W/427. Which system are you planning to install?

I change my colour choice weekly. It has been orange/white stripes, black/graphite stripes, now it is light blue/white stripes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    Congrats!! Metallic purple sounds really cool. Don't think I've seen one. My build hasn't started yet but I also made the decision of using EFI on my 351W/427. Which system are you planning to install?

I change my colour choice weekly. It has been orange/white stripes, black/graphite stripes, now it is light blue/white stripes!
    EFI particulars are still under consideration.

I come from the import world (built and raced a ~380hp nissan 240sx for a number of years) and am *very* familiar with the AEM EMS system, however I'm strongly considering either the FAST ez-efi or the MSD atomic. It was only a few weeks ago that I decided to stop analyzing and go with EFI over carb, I'll stop the analysis paralysis shortly on the system and just make a decision.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah! Analysis paralysis is one of those conditions that many get during this process. It's like trying to decide from a Chinese menu: too many choices. But you made the right choice with the FFR roadster for sure.

Good luck on your build.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post

-Brian
    My opinion is that you just can't have too much in the brake depertment. Especially for th track or autocross. The Wilwoods really stop the car fast. I would stay with a full set either way as they are engineered to work together.

IRS vs straight. There is a lot of debate on this one. I did a LOT of research, and had a couple sleepless nights over it. Talking with FFR, they told me that the 3-link is the performance suspension and the IRS is the comfort suspension. To back that up, when they do their performance tests on TV shows (vs an original or Lamborghini, etc), they bring a 3-link to the fight. Either way, just make sure you are buying the right tool for the job. There also seems to be a lot is IRS issues and very few 3-link.

Congrats on the orders guys!!! It is a HUGE amount of fun building and driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    My opinion is that you just can't have too much in the brake depertment. Especially for th track or autocross.
    it's true you can't have "too much," but more brake isn't free and there's certainly a point of diminishing returns...money not spent on brakes can be spent elsewhere

Minus serious track duty, I can't imagine that Mustang brakes aren't more than adequate. They certainly should be fine for autocross. Autocross is typically 2-3 really hard uses of the brakes over 60 secs...then wait 5-10 minutes...Mustang brakes on a 2300lb car are certainly up to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the order - welcome to the madness and I hope you enjoy the journey.

As for "never having too much brake," you can if they won't fit within your wheels. That's something to watch out for as you plan your build. I have a go-kart with 17" wheels and 13" front brakes, but I'm changing those brakes to the smaller Mustang GT size because I decided to go with 15" wheels and the big brakes don't fit inside those wheels.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, I'm going down this Friday and pull the trigger myself. I've secured my donor car and I'm really excited to get started.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with some who say 351. If you are going to track the car ""2 to 3 times a year" you will want two things for sure:

1. More horsepower
    2. better brakes than stock

Why? Once you get on the track you will find quickly that HP is devine. More is even better. Regardless of the track you choose you will be braking harder and more often than if you were street driving only. On a 22 turn track you will easily heat up your brakes and 50-60 shifts per lap will also put extra pressure on your tranny and clutch set. Soooooo….351, temec 600 and most stage II clutch sets from any good clutch builder. Do it "out of the gate" and save a "do over" later. me? MK1, 3rd engine, 3rd clutch set, 425hp, 302. I could use more horsepower. I wish someone had told me that 14 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesa Mike View Post
    Agree with some who say 351. If you are going to track the car ""2 to 3 times a year" you will want two things for sure:

1. More horsepower
    2. better brakes than stock

Why? Once you get on the track you will find quickly that HP is devine. More is even better. Regardless of the track you choose you will be braking harder and more often than if you were street driving only. On a 22 turn track you will easily heat up your brakes and 50-60 shifts per lap will also put extra pressure on your tranny and clutch set. Soooooo….351, temec 600 and most stage II clutch sets from any good clutch builder. Do it "out of the gate" and save a "do over" later. me? MK1, 3rd engine, 3rd clutch set, 425hp, 302. I could use more horsepower. I wish someone had told me that 14 years ago.
    Very well put. Even if it costs a bit more up front and takes a bit longer to build, my preference would be to not have to do it later on down the road (at greater difficulty and expense).

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Just took advantage of the 50% deal myself...So excited for delivery day!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, welcome to the maddness!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.