Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build MK4 #8290

Post Thanks / Like

Build MK4 #8290

Here are a few shots from the pickup Saturday and back in my garage. Still getting the inventory done. Pretty busy on my project in DC, so I will be pretty much limited to weekends for a while. Still have a number of items on backorder and I am waiting for the drop shipment of the rear end and wheels. The Wilwood brakes came last week.

FFR Factory-10.jpg
    FFR Factory-11.jpg
    FFR Factory-12.jpg
    FFR Factory-13.jpg
    FFR Factory-14.jpg
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Got back at this weekend. The front hubs showed up this week so I got the rest of the front suspension and Wilwood brakes on. Still waiting for the pedals and rear end. Continued fitting the sheet metal in the interior area. Everything went together quite well. Looking at trying to get the first batch of stuff out for powder coating in next couple of weeks. Still trying to decide on the PS footbox modification??? Probably get started on brake lines next. Added a couple of photos of my progress so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd do the passenger foot box if I were you. I am only 5'9'' and the couple of times I sat over there is was too short. To me the width could be better but it's the length that is the problem. I made mine the same length as the driver side w/ the aluminum on the front side of the curved tube.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PS foot box is definitely a must in my view. Really makes a huge difference in passenger comfort and room for any electronics on the inside or outside of the box. Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    PS foot box mod is a good idea. On my MK4 (Coyote build) I added approx 2 inches to the trans tunnel side of the PS foot box with minimal effort given the mods I made the the DS foot box. The additional 2 inches in width makes a significant improvement over stock. If I were to build another I would also extend the PS foot box forward to match the length of the DS foot box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where the problem is but the pictures don't open for viewing on either post for me. Can anyone else see them?
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a while since I posted an update. Got the first batch of panels back from the powder coated. They turned out great. The guy turned them around in 3 days and price was beyond reasonable. Anybody in the Rochester, NY area need a powder coater, I have a great guy.

Got the rear axle a few weeks ago and got the rear all assembled. Also got the front brake lines done back to the MC and still need to run the long line from the rear to the MC. Working on the fuel tank fitment and running the lines to the engine bay. Working with the stainless tubing has proved to be and interesting experience.
    FFR-1.jpg
    FFR-2.jpg
    FFR-3.jpg
    FFR-4.jpg
    FFR-5.jpg

I have attached a couple pictures of the powder coated panels.
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone mention using a longer bolt on the passenger side of the tank strap ?? That'l save you an annoying couple of minutes...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read that. Thx. Probably means another trip to the hardware today.
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you can easily embed your pictures, then viewers don't have to click on each link and backup to return to the post:

Paste the URL link and insert "[IMG]" in front of it and "[/IMG]" behind it.

btw, great looking build, the black panels really set it off nicely.

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I have posted any updates, but I have been making some steady process. It was a big weekend. I had the first start on Saturday. It went pretty well. I didn't have any leaks in any of the SS braided lines I had made up or any of the stainless fuel lines I flared. I really like the Eastwood flaring tool. The only fuel link was the mallory fuel pressure regulator which needed the bolts tighted around the top that holds the unit together. We only had a first "crank" on the first try. Like an idiot, I had forgot to connect the rear harness and no power to the fuel pump. Hooked it up and fired up immediately.

Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=atcqW6tMBE8

Before someone dings me on the cardboard on the radiator. It was removed for subsequent starts. I'll get some other pictures to show my progress overall. The pile of boxes is definely getting smaller.
    Last edited by ckrueger; 07-27-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding! Great sounding motor, and some serious upgrades. The build really looks awesome!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the sound of the mod motors.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your first start. I like the way you plumbed the left PCV line into the air tube. Looks good.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! That is one nice build you are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Congratulations on your first start. I like the way you plumbed the left PCV line into the air tube. Looks good.
    Just like a factory fit.
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Will be getting my kit in a month and a half and will be powder coating my engine compartment panels as you did. Question is, are there any panels that you did not powder coat, but wish you had??

Second question related to picking up the kit. Would I be wise to build up the chassis dolly and have FFR load the car onto the dolly. The dolly would be secured to the trailer. For me, it would make the unloading of the car at home much easier.

Your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscobra View Post
    Will be getting my kit in a month and a half and will be powder coating my engine compartment panels as you did. Question is, are there any panels that you did not powder coat, but wish you had??

Second question related to picking up the kit. Would I be wise to build up the chassis dolly and have FFR load the car onto the dolly. The dolly would be secured to the trailer. For me, it would make the unloading of the car at home much easier.

Your thoughts.
    There are probably pieces that you don't need to coat, but I did them all. Some only need to coated on one side (ie floor pan, trunk floor, foot box floors) but it is more a pain to have one side done than to do the whole panel and no real addtional cost and I think you will find that most coaters don't want to mess with one side. For the smaller pieces like the pedal assembly bracket, hood hinges, etc. I purchased the Eastwood powder coat set up and use an old oven.

As far as the dolly, I put it on the dolly when I got home. I think it would be easier to strap down in the trailer without the dolly than it would be with it. You can have mine if you want to come to Rochester, NY to pick it up. It only takes a couple of strong guys to move the bare frame and the body weighs less than 100 LB's.
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't believe it has been nearly a year since I posted an update. Life and work has limited my progress to a great extent. However, made some great progress over the last couple of weeks and this weekend on the wiring. I got the Russ Thompson turn signal wired up and it worked on the first try. I used the button on the arm as my high beam/flash to pass control. I followed the wiring diagram exactly and used the Bosch and VW latching relay. Also got the wiper motor mounted and wired up. I didn't use the kit switch and used the Ron Francis wiper switch. I am using the "Synergy" line of Ron Francis switches for everything. I know there has been a lot of discussion on getting the motor and the "park" function to work. No issue for me and it was pretty straight forward to hook up. Only items left to wire are the heaters controls and I am mounting a USB port under the dash. For the heater control I am using the motorized heater control like others have in lieu of the push pull supplied in the kit. Took the time to modify the front parking lot connections to the weather pak connections and added an additional ground at each corner.

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the mount the Old Air Products Electronic Heater Bypass Valve bent up and fitted. Need to powder coat it and lines hooked into the loop on the Coyote.

IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    Chuck Krueger
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm putting in a Coyote motor and would like to pick your brain or anyone else's that would help me. Please PM me and ill give you my number to chat. thanks for your help.