Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Please please please help, frustrated wiring guy

Post Thanks / Like

Please please please help, frustrated wiring guy

Please forgive me as I am no wiring expert. My cobra was running fine, replaced Smith mechanical water temperature gauge as it failed from the factory, removed it, installed new factory water temp mechanical Smith gauge under warranty. I went on a beautiful test-drive, looked down at my speedo and all of the sudden my smith tachometer reads zero. I've had no problems whatsoever with this tachometer, it does have the light on when you turn on the headlights and vice a versa the tach light turns off when you turn off the headlights. All other gauges work fine as they should, but car was dead and needed a jump after sitting. I'm stuck, frustrated, I did see that the battery has 12.14 V, and after running it goes up to 13.4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 602-326-3936 my first name is Dax thank you

I understand there is a wiring harness that plugs into the back of the gauge and then it runs through the dash to the distributor/coil but my question is 6 wires that go to the distributor/coil

Post Thanks / Like
    From the Nisonger Instruments Smiths Electronic Tachometer Installation Instructions:

Wiring Connections:

The wires coming from plug that connects to the receptacle in the back of the tachometer should be connected to your wire harness as follows:

• Green Wire - Connect to an ignition switched and fused power source.
    • Black Wire - Connect to a suitable metal ground.
    • Brown/Gray Wire - This wire will not be used and can be trimmed off at the plug.
    • Red/White Wire - Connect to the instrument light harness
    • White/Black Wire - For use with electronic ignitions only - Connect to the tachometer port of the ignition module. Do not use a tachometer adaptor box.
    • Red/Blue Wire - For use with points ignition only - Connect to the distributor (-) side of the ignition coil.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dax, call here and talk to Jason tomorrow. He can help you.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you George!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Gordon, I will call Jason, much appreciated