Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: svl 818

Post Thanks / Like
    Closing the door for the 1st time really is one of the best feeling during the build. I'm glad you finally made it, 2.5months without working on the car is a long time and yes do that more often and it will never end, so I'm happy you found a new job for which now you have time to work on the car. loll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Every time a finish a job, the little voice in my head says next time this is going to be soooo much easier. I got to test that theory out and the passenger door went MUCH faster than the drivers door! I didn't do the inside liner this time as I'm taking both doors apart tomorrow to touch up the paint, and then to be really done with them. now onto the hood and back to the headlights.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Made good progress on the front end. Built a couple more brackets for the fenders and to hold the hood quick-locks. Thought I might be able to finalize the fenders and then attach the hood, but I broke a tap on the fender mount. Spent the rest of the time I had before dinner getting the tap removed :-( Ah well, at least it was two steps forward and one step back instead of the other way around.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the fender mounting points done and I moved onto the hood. I bought a hood hinge and mounted the studs to a couple blocks I fiberglassed to the hood. Everything was going great until I showed off the hood before letting the epoxy cure for 24 hours. The studs popped off and I had to start over :-( So I ground off the epoxy (now fully cured), and set everything up again. I used the bracket to make sure the studs were placed in the right spot.

IMG_0131.jpg

This time I waited 24 hours before i tried it out to make sure everything was good, then I glassed over the studs so that they are really in place now.

IMG_0133.jpg

While the hood work was curing I decided it was time to get the windshield and lights finalized. I hadn't tapped the holes for the windshield surround nor put the dash seal in place up to now.

I had previously cut out a hole to access the brake fluid and the clutch, but didn't fully understand the issue that the windshield seal poses to accessing the fluids.

I do now.

I'm still trying to get the car running with a body by next week before I go back to work (but also need to get the track car running and my new boat broke last week so that is taking a couple days to sort out). So rather than order the remote reservoir (clearly the right idea), I pressed ahead with the hole I had already cut into the windshield surround.

I spent today merrily first mocking up a surround in cardboard, then poster-board then aluminum. While it took the better part of the day, I'm pretty happy with the results as I have a nice hole to access the fluids and the car seals up nicely from the cabin.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

To get to the windshield however, the doors had to come off, as did the fenders. So while this project started as trying to get the hood hinge sorted out, I ended up working on several other projects first.

I have taken the doors completely apart to touch up the paint on the frames. When I put them together again, I'll do the door liners as well. It won't be much of an interior, but it is a nice start.

I should also be able to permanently mount the lights and route the wiring.

One week to go before the next job starts, but I'm optimistic I'll have a "mostly" running car that I can start the registration process on and then legally start sorting out issues on the road!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Not waiting for epoxy to cure, common mistake we all did. Just try to do it once!

The remote reservoir is a bad idea for some types of brake fluids, I got hit bad by that and swapped back to the inside dash solution. But I do have a remote reservoir for the clutch. Looks like a pretty big hole you cut on the surround. And I'm not sure I understand why you modified the surround-dash alu seal? 1st time I see such a hump (square) in it.

I see you managed to bolt the surround on the frame (looks like 1/4-20s), I couldn't at all, there's at least 1/4" or room on mine, would stretch the FG too much. Will probably will the gap with something this winter. Are you sure you can clear the doors up to full opening? With door panels on, of course.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll it was my turn to get too excited about the hood hinge and not wait for the epoxy (said 3 hours on the label...). I haven't gotten back to the hood as I'm finishing up the windshield, dash and doors before get back to the hood.

My surround does have about 1/8th gap and I did have to flex the fiberglass a little. The screws are 10-32 with rubber backed washers . I taped the chassis instead of rivnuts, figuring if I ever strip one I can add the rivnut at that time (same that I did for much of the other fiberglass to frame).

I built the box, because when I put the aluminum in place, it defeated the purpose of the hole in the surround and I couldn't really get my hand in there to work the covers easily. The box gives me lots of room and cleared the dash so I figured i was good (also, now the I purchased a brake, I've been finding "box" projects to go with all the various brackets I've bent up for this car). I am planning on adding a cover over the hole, but that is definitely down the list of tasks at the moment.

The doors do clear the windshield, I had everything bolted up and finalized the windshield before I started cutting and drilling the frame. I have the subaru mirrors on for now and plan to mount some carbon fiber ones to the doors after I get all the body panels bolted in place.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of progress over the last couple days, but not many photos. I need to get better at that, but I'm trying hard to get the car running with a body before the end of the week. Every time I get stuck somewhere, I just pick up another job until I figure out what I'm going to do with the first one. With the other commitments I have, I really need to finish tomorrow, but I can squeeze some time in the rest of the week if really needed.

From back when I was go-karting the car, I just had a fuel fill capped off with a bag. Finally got around to finishing the fill pipe and the vent line to go with it. If I get the car running, I'll head to the gas station and test the fuel gauge and the fill & vent.

I also finished up the fenders, and headlight mounting. All the top panels now have hinges and quick locks. I still need to adjust the fit on all the panels and then readjust the quick locks, but all the hoods are now attached and working!

I'm mostly through the door panel for the driver's door, but I haven't started on the passenger one yet. It will have to be a string tomorrow

I've run the engine up to temp a couple times now to fill the coolant and purge all the air pockets. Not sure I'm totally done there yet, but I did discover a leak at the hose to the bottom of the radiator. I've re-clamped it and we'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Finally, I ran the wires for the headlights and found the passenger wires were too short for where I wanted to run the cables. So I spliced some additional wire to "stretch" the runs and everything fits fine now. Somehow I have lost the high beam bulbs, so I've order new ones, but the rest of the lights all work.

I think checking the leak and re-mounting the doors is all I need to finishing to pull the car out of the garage for the first time with it's skin!

headlights.jpg
    Last edited by svanlare; 11-07-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Success, it is a happy day!!!!!

I Put the doors on this morning, and then warmed the car up again. It leaked

So I chased down the leak at the radiator again, and used a gates power clamp this time. I tried the airlift for the first time, and the system held, and that worked like a champ to purge the air pockets and get a nice fill on the first try. After that, I had a view that I have not had for a LONG time, an empty garage.

IMG_0149.jpg

And waiting for it's first run looking like a car!

IMG_0148.jpg

I added a vent line to the fuel fill, and finished all of that yesterday, so once the car was running, my first stop was at the gas station. When I got to see Pete's car, he had a printed book showing the history of the car. I'm going to copy that idea as I had people ask about the car at that first gas station stop. It was nice to see the gas gauge move after filling the car.

IMG_0144.jpg

So I was able to test out the car with a body finally. Everything worked great, and I hit the goal of having a running car before I head back to work. There are LOTS of details to sort out (finish adjusting all the panels, fender liners, strange smells, brake lights stay on when the car is parked, etc...) but I put a good 15 miles on the car today without any issues. I pulled in an let it cool off every 5 miles or so and it remained leak free, and started right up each time!!!!!!!!!

Definitely going to pull the steering column and shorten it a bit, and will probably swap out for a FFR wheel. Add those to the list of "details" like the rest of the interior.

IMG_0140.jpg

Now I need to fill out my paperwork, and find a day to spend at the DMV to start the SB100 process.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on a successful maiden voyage!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big congrats! It only gets better from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all! Looking forward to the next phase
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Steve! Gas stops will continue to be about 20 minutes of questions, you'll soon get more confidence and venture further from your garage, friends and co-workers will be amazed you built your own car, and the pride of accomplishment never ends. Your next goal is to drive it to the Huntington Beach show in late April, which is only 375 miles. I'll buy the first beer.
    Last edited by AZPete; 11-08-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

When I look back I'm stunned at all that has gone into the project. I took it on in part to learn new things and certainly feel I added new skills in abundance. Looking at your car Pete while I was waiting for my kit to arrive was a big inspiration, as was seeing yours in the much more finished state later.

As for the gas station, it sure felt good to say "I built it"! I'm definitely going to print a book to answer the questions.

I'm planning on making it to Huntington Beach in the car this year, no matter the finish state of the rest of the car and I will happily buy a round.
    -Steve

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    awesome job!

that tire looks low, but it could be how you parked
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, and good call on the tire, it was low. Strangely both driver's side tires were low, but not the passenger side. One of the easier fixes I've done

The SB100 process has been very well documented and the DMV had no issues. I now have a couple months to get the Highway Patrol inspection and the Smog inspection so I can go back to the DMV and finish the registration and get plates.

Now road legal and waiting for the insurance agent to call me back and confirm that is squared away.

IMG_0169.jpg
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you're already done?? I'm impressed, I thought you'd have a least a few months to go to complete it! Congratulations!
    And nice gaps on the body panels, especially the rear fenders to engine covers, I'm jealous.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Done --- Hah! Still a long way to go there On my spreadsheet I called this milestone "street legal" and I have to say I'm super excited to be able put some miles on the car and to actually use it as a car as opposed to just a project.

My new job starts on Monday, so the last couple weeks have been a blur of projects as I was running up against the deadline. And just when I thought I had the car on track, life threw some roadblocks in the way so I ended up cutting some corners to get here. Once I got car rolling, I started the registration process on a whim. Turned out to be much easier than I expected. I still have 3 more trips to go (CHP, Smog and then DMV) before I get to plates, but I'm optimistic they won't be too bad.

I cannot guess how many times I've had the body on and off, adjusting, timing, pushing pulling, clamping, etc to get the body attached and the panels where I want them. I've still got to trim the edges on the 3 trunk lids to get them to sit where I want. Then I think I'm going to try and wrap the car like you.

Once I sort out my work schedule, I'll see if I can get the car past "street legal" to "presentable" by Huntington Beach. If not, well, at least I can cut down on the amount of blue tape before I drive down
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought your new job started last Monday. Hopefully you'll like it! Cuz you know, if you quit again you won't have enough time to complete your build! loll

Yes you have to remove the body panels 100 times before all is done, it's crazy.

I see you too needs to do many trips here and there for registration. I though SB100 was easier than that, I think there are about 5 rules or less but didn't think you have to tow the car 3-4 times to get all done! I feel you. Or like Avatar people would say, "I see you".
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the car is required for the first or last step. The first step they just wanted money and the last one verifies all the paperwork you collect along the way. The CHP and the Smog checks definitely require the car.

Working on driving through the first tank of gas and figuring out the car's issues.

The first is the car is REALLY LOW and I have scraped the front a couple times and I don't have the spoiler on yet. When I was checking the car out after today's drive, I noticed I cannot really get my shoe under the bodywork. Measured the clearance and I'm now running around with less than 3 inches of clearance. I don't know if the collars have slipped or something else has settled, so I'll be redoing corner weights and an alignment soon.

Also, when I first start out temps are fine. Then a little into each drive (about a mile), the temp soars all the way up to the red line for a minute, then drops back to the first hashmark where it stays the rest of my drive no matter how I'm driving (20 miles today). I wonder if that is where the thermostat is opening or some other change as the car transitions to fully warm. At least once it settles back down, it hasn't gone back up on any of the drives so far. Going to have to watch this and investigate more.

I also need to clear all the check engine lights. I just have to find where I put the COBB tuner since it has been a while since I've last seen it in the garage
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svanlare View Post
    Then a little into each drive (about a mile), the temp soars all the way up to the red line for a minute, then drops back to the first hashmark where it stays the rest of my drive no matter how I'm driving (20 miles today).
    Seems like the kind of thing a thermostat might do if it were slow to open. Is it new?

Post Thanks / Like
    Slow opening thermostat is my guess as well.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, did you loop the heater pipes? I think coolant must flow from one to the other or the thermostat goes on strike.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I did loop the heater pipes, and my guess is something with the thermostat, but will have to debug. I'm delighted that once the car does this little stunt, the temps stay cool after that just fine. As for did the car do this before? I don't know. I bought a salvaged car and all I know is that "it ran when parked". Since then I have swapped out the water pump (timing belt, etc) after my first round of karting when I joined the "mike club" and pulled the engine.

My hope is to reset the ride hight this weekend, and to find my tuner so I can clear the check engine light and try again. The thermostat I'm going to have to live with until after thanksgiving.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Got everything all set up for thanksgiving; I managed to raise the ride hight to the right place (and lock the coil-over set screws this time) and gave the car an alignment. Gave plenty of rides and nobody complained that there wasn't a door liner yet for the passenger side; I think because the door frame has a nice bar to hold onto :-)

I worked a bit on the coolant temps, and have decided I still had air in the system. I rigged a valve for bleeding air of the radiator, and after running the car a couple times and bleeding each time, the problem has gone away. I may run a long bleed line from the front to the rear, but as the problem is solved so I'm really hoping it just stays solved while I sort out other issues. Getting close to 200 miles on the car so feeling this is likely solved enough for now anyways. Going to flush the coolant and see how the fill goes next time

The car has pretty much sat since thanksgiving until last week. I took a morning off work last week for my CHP appointment. It was a clear morning but below 40 degrees. It didn't seem so bad while driving, but I was pretty cold standing in the shade waiting for the inspection. The good news is the officer was cold too, so after a very quick trip around the car, we went inside and did paperwork. I have now cleared the second of 4 steps for California registration, so far it has been pretty smooth. I have my smog inspection next week and then back to the DMV to finish it off.

Cleared the check engine light, but it came right back on. Mostly smog equipment that is no longer on the car. Hoping I can program through the COBB tuner that these error conditions should be ignored. That will be some quality time with Google I suspect.

The biggest issue at the moment, is the car keeps popping out of 5th gear. It drives fine down the freeway for a while, then it will just start popping out. I do a post just on that to see what suggestions folks have. I have until Friday off an at home, so planning on clearing items off the car's to-do list.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Every overheating issue I've read about related to bleeding was persistent and got worse as the car ran, which is the opposite of what you described. Is the outside temperature much different from when you had the problem? Glad bleeding it seems to have fixed your problems, though, and good luck with that transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was weird that it would go up and then finally drop. I could feel the side pipe on the passenger side was cool until right before the temps dropped, so it seemed it wasn't flowing around the car until the thermostat opened, and then once it did open, it was circulating enough around the car to keep things cool. I was pretty worried as it would usually get to 220-240 before it dropped, but then would hold between 180-190. Today the peak was 187 after 25 miles of stop and go and some freeway traffic so happy about that.

Thanks for the wishes on the transmission. I guess if I can't figure it out, I could be picking up a six speed one.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, mine did the same at least ten heat cycles. You're topping it up each time it cools down, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, each time it cooled down I would top it up until the problem went away. Seems to have worked!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    So the trick is to get your CHP appointment in the winter when it's cold?

Glad you passed half of em, are the next 2 more difficult than the 1st 2?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    A cold morning definitely helped the inspection

For smog I can register by year of body (~1965 since unknown) or year of motor (2007). Clearly going the 1960's route so it should be an inspection of the PCV system and then lots of paperwork. Here is what they sent as a checklist. I've got all that paperwork ready to go.

Cleared the check-engine light this morning just in case. I didn't realize you cannot modify engine maps with the COBB tuner until you take the class on EFI (for $149 ), which then lets you download the tuning software only after proving you know enough not to call tech support immediately by passing their test. Took that this morning, then spent time with the tuning software to figure out how to modify a ECU map. In my case using a stock map and ignoring errors from parts that are no longer on the car. Going for a drive at lunch and hoping to check that off the list.

Smog.jpeg
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hum, there are more stuff involved than I thought, but the good news is there is a law specific for these cars, it's not blended with any kind of cars. There is no way you can fail, seeing your build.

2018 is your year, hell yeah!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm now done with step 3 of the registration process, the smog inspection. It took two visits to the BAR, a little more work on the car, 1 visit to get the lights and brakes certified, and 1 visit cancelled because it was raining. This morning was the final visit and the smog step is now complete!

I was surprised that at the first visit we spent so much time on paperwork and checking it over in detail. That is where, even though the DMV didn't check it off, the BAR required that I get the brake and light certificates since that paperwork was missing. They also failed me on the PCV system since I used a 1/2 line marked heater hose instead of PCV/Fuel hose.

Replacing the hose was simple. Now that I knew what kind of hose markings I was looking for, I purchased some more and in a few minutes the problem was solved.

Turns out finding a brake and light inspection shop that knows what to do was difficult. I called several shops and knew I was in trouble when the first question was "what was the year and make of the car so we can look up the specs". I finally called my Porsche mechanic who recommended a shop that when I called up, said, "oh yeah" we have done plenty of specialty constructed vehicles, and he wanted to know all about the car since he had done a ton of cobras but no 818's. We talked about what they would check and I realized I had two lights that where going to fail the exam. So I finally hooked the handbrake light to the dash, and installed the license plate bracket and more importantly the license plate lights. With that done, I took the car to the shop and the after an the one hour exam, I was good to go. I had worried if I had the headlights adjusted right, but we did the final adjustment there at the shop and that was pretty awesome to get that done and know it is now right.

So now I have to pick what I want for a license plate and head to the DMV.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on clearing that 3rd hurdle in the CA DMV journey!
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-31-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! One last step to go through!

I never thought there would be so many details in CA but they look fairly easy and straight-fwd to fix, so that should not be too stressful, thank god. It does seem to need a lot of back and forth with the car, though. Can you drive the car for all these times you went somewhere for those 3 steps?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Registration complete

Thanks!

After the first visit I had a temporary registration so I was able to get insurance and drive. So I took every option to do so! I was able to drive the car to all the appointments and have a have put more that 300 miles on the car. And today I made a quick trip to the DMV, turned in the big pile of paperwork that I had collected and walked out with plates.

Now that this step is done, it is officially a fully legal California car.

5th gear is still problematic. I've not wanted to break into it until after this was done in case I cannot get the car running again for a while. Worst case, I'll find another transmission. Once I get this running again, I'll move onto the body and interior.

Super excited to be through this hurdle and have plates!
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    And the photo for proof!

IMG_0115.JPG
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Congrats!
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, with the mild winter were having, it should make for some great driving days.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast