Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford or Chevy

Post Thanks / Like

Ford or Chevy

Kind of a newby to the ff5 33s, It seems to me that all the options lead to a coyote motor and std trans. I am just curious how many guys are running Chevy ls engines. What are the pro's and con's of both.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Boy you have opened the proverbial can 'o worms with this one, and you will get some passionate responses. Keep in mind, this is a Ford kit, and was designed around Ford engines. However, given the popularity of the SBC and LS motors, they have provisions for both. I can say, with absolute certainty, that going the SBC route has taken a little more fabbing than strictly bolting it in, but I suspect even the Coyotes are the same. Honestly, it is going to come down to is your preference and what you are comfortable building with and supporting.
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would like to think this is purely a personal preference. For me I align myself with the mustang/ford world. OK I'll just say it...I'm a Ford guy. If I am going build a '33 Ford themed car I will use a Ford engine. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will remind me that most of the hot rodded old fords had 350 Chevys in them. Have fun and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of people at car shows that really look down on Chevy engines in Fords. I think you would hurt the resale value if you went with a non-Ford engine.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally FFR only supported the small block and modular Ford engines. But they have expanded their options so when you order and select an engine/trans package, you will get the components to install that drive train such as motor mounts, frame brackets, exhaust down pipes, etc.

If you stick with one of those packages, it should be a relatively stress free build (other than custom tailored fuel or electrical systems for EFI, etc.)

From their order page:

Select an Engine / Exhaust System being installed (all require shorty headers):*
    33462 - Installing 289/302/351 Ford Engine (No Charge)
    33460 - Installing 4.6L 4V/2V Ford Engine (No Charge)
    33770 - Installing Chevy LS Series Engine (No Charge)
    33802 - Installing Small Block Chevy Engine (No Charge)
    33919 - Installing 4.6L 3V/5.0L Ford Coyote Engine (Includes Shorty headers) ($599)

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replys, I know some people are like why does a ford have a chevy engine. I think I am a chevy guy? I drive a ford f350 and the wife has a 13 gt 500 mustang. I am currently building a 69 Camaro with a ls3 and t56. So I would probably agree the best route is the ford coyote engine. It seems that it would be a easier install since many of ff5's parts are already designed to go this route. Hp wise the coyote vs a ls3 I honestly don't see any difference. I do have a question on the fuel system for the coyote engine. Is it a returnless system? I would also like to know how many guys are running auto trans setups vs standard and pros and cons on this subject.
    Thanks for the replys you guys are a very valuable source of information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snappytravis View Post
    thanks for the replys, I would also like to know how many guys are running auto trans setups vs standard and pros and cons on this subject. Thanks for the replys you guys are a very valuable source of information.
    I could care less about "people looking down on a Chevy in a Ford" themed coupe, that's their problem and I would never build a hotrod for re-sale just build what you love.
    I chose a modern 7L Hemi for mine and the last gen of fully hyd auto 4 spd with it. The longer your tranny is the less issues you have with driveshaft clearance on the 33. In my case that let me drop the battery shelf down for a full size battery to crank the 426
    DB
    Hemi33

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snappytravis View Post
    So I would probably agree the best route is the ford coyote engine. It seems that it would be a easier install since many of ff5's parts are already designed to go this route.
    Not quite sure what parts you are referring to. As I posted above if you select which drive train you are using, they will supply the correct mounting hardware. Personally I think the difficulty will come in packaging the wiring for a modern engine which ever one you choose at least that's my experience. Not that I'm trying to sway you from the Coyote, it's an awesome engine.

As far as auto vs manual, just keep in mind there not much room in the foot box and a clutch pedal pretty much prevents you from stretching out your left leg.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is hilarious!!

Flathead ford V8 with Ardun heads!! or maybe a Buick Turbo V6! Coyote of course, snappy you can put a flathead straight 6 in these cars and roll!! Think chassis, tires, and a driving school! We took an anemic straight 6 in a 280Z, changed gears, tires, and dropped suspension an inch. gave it to a guy that could drive and almost beat the entire class in scca. Engines are easy, build the package! if you want pretty, hang a set of hemi valve covers on an LS3 and get over the engine. Close gear ratios and sticky tires win over the engine every time.

Seriously, good luck with whatever you build, it will be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a chevy small block engine fast burn 385 and had just a few glitches during installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coyote uses a return type fuel system at 57 PSI and they run like a top with the speed dial. I am currently building a Coyote powered Hot Rod with a 5 Speed, if you want to send me your e-mail address I can send you some pics. I have built 3 roadsters with the Coyote as well.

I have not built an FFR with a Chevy, but with Mass Emmsions regs what they are I may give an e-rod a shot .....
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put a Ford into a Ford

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine Factory View Post
    Put a Ford into a Ford
    But its not a Ford, Its a Factory Five.
    Last edited by FFinisher; 09-29-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    ERLIHEMI Has it Right! Sky's the limit....

Post Thanks / Like
    I was always a Mopar guy. Last car was 69 charger with a stroked 440.
    I originally wanted to put a modern Hemi in mine but the electronics scared me away.
    I went with an LS3. Mopar guy with a "ford kit" and a Chevy engine...??
    My reasons:
    The LS3 is small, lightweight and very easily modded if you want to make future changes.
    Like the Coyote - it can be purchased with the harness - plug and play.
    The costs difference between the two is almost identical.
    Installation was very easy with plenty of room and the thing fired up immediately and is "tuned" out of the box.
    I also like the way Chevy engines sound over Fords. I think they share the same firing order with Mopars but not sure.
    Too many snare drum sounding mustangs in my area.... just my opinion so don't shoot me!

Do it how YOU want and put love into the build. The resale values have been all over the place and not at all linked to the motor.