BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Straight Axle Rear End

Post Thanks / Like

Straight Axle Rear End

I'm preparing for my upcoming build in June and one of the issues I'm having the most trouble with is the rear end. I ordered the Complete kit but FFR can't ship rear ends from the vendor (looks like they discontinued the part) so I have to find my own. I don't mind rebuilding a used one but prefer to buy at least the housing already restored. My question is how much trouble is it to use a non 76-93 Ford 8.8? For example, there are quite a few good 2004 8.8 31 spline rear ends out there but I understand they are 3 inches or so wider. What mods have to be made to fit that and would it just look bad with the 10.5" rear wheels?

Other info on the build:
    -351w engine from Engine Factory (427 with 535HP)
    -TKO 600

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Mike. www.fortesparts.com

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - I called and he is going to give me a quote. Could have saved myself hours of searching!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is a great resource for these type of questions.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    If by chance you are going to install ABS, Mike can tweek the rear end with sensor brackets.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mustang 8.8" rear end housing (axle tubes and center section) 87-04 are all the same width, 59 1/4". The axles end up being different lengths. The Fox (87-93) width axles are 29 1/4" but are 4 lug, the 94-98 SN95 axles are 30" long and the 99-04 SN95 axles are 30 3/4". The FFR Roadster is best built with Fox length axles with a 5-lug flange and some sort of 3/4" reverse offset caliper mounting bracket for the SN95 rear brakes or use aftermarket (Wilwoods).

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know. I was worried the housing was different and would cause problems with both width and driveshaft. If it is only the axles that I have to worry about it gives me more options

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    I'm preparing for my upcoming build in June and one of the issues I'm having the most trouble with is the rear end. I ordered the Complete kit but FFR can't ship rear ends from the vendor (looks like they discontinued the part) so I have to find my own.
    It's not discontinued, but they have temporarily stopped taking orders for the rear ends. The vendor has been having trouble sourcing the housings and was falling behind in production, so FF stopped taking orders to let them catch up.

Apparently I got one of the last orders through before the halt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Call Mike...he is Great!