BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Should we create an 818-R sub forum?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! There are enough 818-R specific areas that it should have it's own sub-forum

27 72.97%
  • No. The 818-R is not different enough to warrant it's own forum.

10 27.03%

Thread: 818-R Sub forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

818-R Sub forum?

It has been suggested that we should create another sub-forum for 818-R specific threads. Sounds reasonable to me but I thought I'd elicit some feedback.

So the question is: 818-R sub Forum: yes, or no? Please vote in the poll above.

Thanks!

PS Thanks to Bill Waters for the suggestion!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I lean slightly toward 'No', but only because I would be afraid that the 'R' guys would all hang out there and not contribute as much in other sections. Also, some folks plan to race their 'S' at least somewhat so they might learn some things from the 'R' guys.

I know people can participate in any sections regardless of their specific interest but sometimes it's human nature to from cliques and it would be a shame for that to happen.

Just my $.02

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Remember guys, I'm talking about one sub-forum, under the 818 section. Not a new 818R Section...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm for it.

Our R (arrrr) is very unique and I think it would be a good way to focus on the major differences between the two models. They're not even the same chassis (foot well, door bars, roll bar, etc.) and we've seen that the do require their own unique assembly methods.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for it, despite the worry that cliques do form on their own.

I find myself trying to find (and then paying special attention to) any R-related posts. So having a sub-forum would make this easier. If we had it, we might find that it gets populated with very R-specific interests (like competition rules, classing, race event info/results, data acquisition results, etc.), and not just the place where the R-guys hang out. That would benefit the S-guys who plan to seriously track their cars, since they would know where to go to more easily find this info.

I also think there's merit to claiming that there are R-specific build concerns. These could be easier to address and sort through in a sub-forum. I keep thinking of Chad asking more than a few times how folks were hanging their doors on the R-chassis (and I never did see anyone offer him help).

My $0.02

Best,
    -j
    Last edited by Santiago; 04-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    It would make it easier to resolve issues that only pertain to the R without having to wade through every thread. What is the best way to hang those doors? DrD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strongly agree. There's a great deal about the R that's different, as Six Star points out. Also, there's really no build manual or manual supplement (that I am aware of) for the R. Lots of issues come to mind:
    the R doesn't need the harness complexity that the S does; what is needed?
    if you have adjustable lateral and toe links, how do you optimize track width without either running out of CV joint extension limit or body clearance?
    what is the best dash setup?
    what is the best way to go about fabbing chassis mounts for the rear wing?
    what ends up being the best air-oil separator setup for tracked cars?

etc., etc.

Look forward to this section if we go ahead with it.

Thanks, David.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, and from my perspective I agree very strongly. As a racer, I don't care about registration, cats, mufflers, wipers, comfort, quiet, etc.
    I don't want to appear elitist or snobbish, but my priorities are very different from those building a street car. I want to push the envelope for what the 818R can do. A total focus on racing. Most of the customer supplied, donor parts will be new racing parts on my build. A lot will be custom and not reliant on donor parts.
    I am all for a racing-centric sub-forum where its focus is 818 race cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted yes, but I agree with some of the concerns about lack of crossover and cliques forming as well as some duplication of topics.

Perhaps it would be best to refer to the sub forum as "track only modifications" or something to that effect. It would be the location for things like roll bar modifications, suspension tuning, aero setup, etc. just throwing it out there to see what sticks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I say a big yes. It would be easier for future builders to search for stuff. I have a lot of FFR specs in my thread that we could put as a "Sticky".

As for mounting doors on an R due to the lack of mounting points on chassis - I have some good idea's- but I'm working on other stuff now. I think it would be great to have a sub category so builders can discuss R specific issues/ideas.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for it. I have an S and R sitting on opposite sides of the shop and what you do to the S doesn't necessarily transmit to the R. Also I agree, how in the world are we going to get that rear wing on correctly? Just start fabbing it up I guess. I've been following Chads build for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, what do you say, David? Will we move forward with the R sub forum? 2/3 yes is pretty strong majority!!

Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill thanks for the reminder. I've created a new 818R sub-forum:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...8R-Discussions

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes!