Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Are colored carbon fiber wraps too tacky?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Are colored carbon fiber wraps too tacky?

I ordered some vinyl wrap samples of carbon fiber in several colors. Is anything other than black too fake? Will I be laughed at if I use blue carbon fiber?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I ordered some vinyl wrap samples of carbon fiber in several colors. Is anything other than black too fake? Will I be laughed at if I use blue carbon fiber?

I have seen some pretty awesome SEMA cars with color carbon wrap.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all about what you want. However if the opinions and comments of others bother you, the purists won't like it. However they'd only be happy if it was real carbon fiber with a blue candy coat to achieve the look...meanwhile, other purists would think its stupid to add weight to the carbon fiber with paint...translation; you can't win
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    If YOU like it, do it.
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning blue carbon fiber over blue wrap. I see so much black carbon fiber, I want to be different. I'm going for a subtle ghost stripe look.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    blasphemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    what about the carbon/kevlar look?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of doing the black 4D carbon fiber vinyl on the aluminum panels that are on the interior of the 818. I figured if it is wrapped after it is drilled then rivot them on with black rivots and then the wraped edges are secured between the panel and the frame! might give it a cool accent instead of paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Any fake carbon fiber wrap regardless of color gets a thumbs down from me.... but what do you care what I think?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using medical grade vinyl for my interior, when someone who rides with me makes a mess, I'll be able to disinfect the area! LOL
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking almost the same thing.

First, I saw this video on creating your own carbon fiber fiber look

http://youtu.be/7N5N-AYaENI

It's on reg cf look

Then I watched one on chameleon dip blue/green over black

http://youtu.be/88Ngl4tFGP8

Then I decided to try carbon fiber look over blue/green chameleon

It was cheap to try. I just ordered everything yesterday. I'm out of town on business part of next week. I hope to have samples done in about a week.

Good luck with your decision, but just understand that some will turn up their nose no matter what. I know some guys that turn their nose up at all kit cars. You can't win, why try.

With that being said, lambo doors would still be a very bad decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new to plasti dip. It seems like a perfect solution for the interior of factory five cars given that there are various metals and plastics that make up the interior. How durable is plasti dip in areas of repeated scuffing and rubbing from arms and legs?

Post Thanks / Like
    it will peel if you break the adhesion of an edge, but it is designed to do that
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm an advocate for this sort of technology because it allows for great innovation which may not be possible before the technology is available. I can see it being used as accents on a complimentary color scheme. I think most people would not be turned off by the colors if they worked together. It's kind of like "lace painting" or "snake skin" when it was popular. If it was done well and tastefully (color, technique), then it looked great. I think the possibilities for this are endless. Peeling it off in an hour and starting over is priceless! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a side note to this discussion, I questioned one of the tech departments about burying this product in clear for a smooth finish. It can be done but what happens is that the look that you are going for disappears. The clear levels it out.
    Just something to watch out for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Add me to the "yes" column.

But explaining it is something else. We'd have to agree on a definition of "tacky." It's like applying that term to a significant other.

I'd be selling tickets to that fist fight. And why we likely won't see the specifics discussed. As for SEMA cars, they are built to appeal to the masses. ; )

Post Thanks / Like
    What about chromed plastic, is that tacky? It is if there is a lot of it. IMO its not if its used as an accent.

I would think the same applies to CF wrap. A little can look great, too much and it just looks tacky. So its about balance and restraint. And most of all what looks good to you.

As for the purists, what would be the actual advantages of say, a dash panel made out of real CF? (as opposed to one made of aluminum, and covered in CF wrap) Its not like there is going to be any realistic weight savings, and you certainly aren't leveraging the strength advantages of CF in this application. So what is the point in using real CF for something like that? (on a car like 818 that is meant to be budget friendly)

Post Thanks / Like
    When you get the samples, you might get a better feel. The theme so far seems to be along or near my thoughts which center around scope and visibility. The larger or more visible the pieces, the better quality it needs to be. Something front and center on the dash begs for attention to detail. A small piece of trim by your feet, can more likely get away with less attention to detail. You can wear fruit of the loom socks with an Armani suit and no one will likely notice. Work out a theme, and try to keep everything along with the theme. Some more questionable elements, used conservatively, can be given a bit of forgiveness if they tie in well. I'm still in the rough idea stage for my interior.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14