Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bonding Hoses

Post Thanks / Like

Bonding Hoses

The FFR kit came with some hose couplers which can fit inside each other to handle multiple sizes.

This works fine when the hose needs to be fitted over a metal connector, like the radiator inflow and outflow - by tightening the clamp, it appears to make a good seal.

My water pump inflow is facing straight up and I need to make it turn 90 degrees to run the hose to the radiator.

The stainless hose provided by FFR doesn't make a tight enough angle and I think it will interfere with the hood of the car.

I found a 90 degree rubber hose that fits the water pump, but is too small for the inline filler neck (1.5"). I'd like to use one of the couplers provided by FFR, but on one side I'll have rubber to rubber with nothing solid underneath. See photo.

Is there some way to bond the interior and exterior hoses together?

photo.JPG

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that Breeze Automotive has your fix 1.25 x 1.50 elbow http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=723 . I used a standard Mustang upper radiator hose cut-down and was able to get it to go on to my in-line rad cap fitting (Summit item) but required some convincing to go on.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OVCobra View Post
    I used a standard Mustang upper radiator hose cut-down and was able to get it to go on to my in-line rad cap fitting (Summit item) but required some convincing to go on.
    Do you know what size the Mustang hose was?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go down to your local auto-parts store and ask to see their hose selection, then find one that matches what you need and the problem will be solved.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Gates #22417 for the 90 from the waterpump to the filler ( it had to be cut). From the filler to the radiator I used Gates #22329. Both fit really well. I like using rubber hoses when I can. I would send a picture I I knew how to from my phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your local parts store will usually have a look through what they have in the back.

I HIGHLY recommend the Breeze hoses that replace the stainless flex hoses.They look much better and stay on better.

If you stick with theose rubber adapters, I would find a way to bond them . I had one blow off.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hose couplers provided with the kit that fit inside each other are for the corrugated SS hoses only. There is one size outer coupler that the corrugated fits inside of. Then there are a couple different smaller ID size short pieces for the other end to match the coupler to whatever metal fitting your connecting over. Don't try to use them any other way. They'll blow apart.

To your original question, you're right. The first hose out of the upward facing water neck at the manifold needs to be rubber. You likely won't get the corrugated SS to bend that much. For my Mk3, the hose I found that worked was an Advance Auto part number B71383. Then attached to the T-filler. Then used the corrugated with the appropriate couplers and sleeves for the rest of the upper hose, and a complete corrugated for the lower hose. For me, the way to make the corrugated work was with T-Clamps. Regular worm drive clamps just don't get tight enough. My Mk3 is going into it's third season and 4,000+ miles with this setup. Never a hint of leaking or blowing off. Used the corrugated hoses and T-Clamps on my Mk4 build as well. It's not on the road yet, but holding up fine with first starts, go-karts, engines starts for all my buddies (have to do that...), etc. Here's a picture of my Mk3 with this setup:

Last edited by edwardb; 04-15-2014 at 05:38 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the best solution that I have found for the roadster, uses the stock 93 Mustang hose, purges air in system and is easy to work with and easy to check level of fluid as it has a visible level gauge and best of all it gets rid of that T neck

ThermostatHousing2.jpg ThermostatHousing.jpg
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-15-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Your local parts store will usually have a look through what they have in the back.

I HIGHLY recommend the Breeze hoses that replace the stainless flex hoses.They look much better and stay on better.

If you stick with theose rubber adapters, I would find a way to bond them . I had one blow off.
    I ended up scrapping the stainless flex hoses and buying the Breeze hoses. Very nice design and elegant look. It's saving me a lot of time and worry.