Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watch ADD guy build car

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Calipers

Decided to try out sand blasting on my calipers. I had no experience with sand blasting. My research indicated that at 4.2 CFM, my air compressor was well under the recommended 10 CFM, but from what others said it might still work. So I went for it and bought a kit and some play sand from Home Depot. The first problem was the wet sand. I ended up spreading it out on a tarp in my basement with a dehumidifier and a fan blowing on it. I was shocked how fast it dried the sand out. It took maybe two hours tops. I quickly discovered why they invented blasting cabinets. After using q-tips to get the sand out of my ears, I headed down to Harbor Freight to get a cabinet. They had one on sale for $109 and with a 20% off coupon I got it for a little over $87. Things were much better with a blasting cabinet, no sand in the ears, shoes, or pockets. So the good news is that you can indeed sand blast with a 4.2 CFM air compressor. The bad news, it is REALLY a slow process. I could blast for maybe 10 seconds before my compressor would come on. In order to not burn up my compressor, I had to let it cool down very frequently. It took me several days to sand blast 4 calipers. I suspect I could have done it in about 20 minutes with sufficient air flow.

DSC_0281.JPG
    DSC_0282.JPG

WARNING: If you use sand to sand blast, you MUST use a respirator!!! That stuff will kill you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you back at it!

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Caliper Stencil

One down three to go:
    DSC_0471.JPG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123