Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NRG Steering Wheel Adapter Question

Post Thanks / Like

NRG Steering Wheel Adapter Question

I have a question for those of you who have used the NRG adapter in your 818 with an aftermarket steering wheel: Does this place the steering wheel closer to you than the stock steering wheel? If so, by approximately how much?
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    depends on if you use a quick release hub and which quick release hub, they have a short and "normal" one...

You can also adjust distance to the wheel with wheel dish and by compressing the shaft length...

My wheel is here adapter was BO expect delivery this week
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the same wheel/hub set up as Erik in his 818e; got all of it from him.... My NRG wheel is mounted to the column with their 'short hub' which actually seems to give a little more reach than the stock wheel (a longer QR hub would move it closer). Per Erik's recommendation, I also got a 5mm spacer to put a little distance between the wheel and control stalks. Like this, the reach is perfect for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the NRG short adapter to mount the FFR wheel. I also wanted the horn button to work and the turn signals to cancel so I added a couple of mods. Here's my thread a while ago.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...heel-installed
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Let me be a bit more specific. I'd like to get the steering wheel a bit farther away from me (I've already got it positioned as if it were 1.5" shorter), but the wheel is so big it interfere's with my knees if I push it any closer to the dash. I think a smaller wheel may address this, but I don't want the wheel any closer to the controls (I'd prefer to move the whole thing closer to the dash and close that gap even more). If anything, I'd actually prefer the having the wheel a bit father away from the controls *IF* it looks OK

I don't need quick release, and would probably prefer one that isn't quick release, but if that's what worked for my purpose, it would be fine.
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I have the same wheel/hub set up as Erik in his 818e; got all of it from him.... My NRG wheel is mounted to the column with their 'short hub' which actually seems to give a little more reach than the stock wheel (a longer QR hub would move it closer). Per Erik's recommendation, I also got a 5mm spacer to put a little distance between the wheel and control stalks. Like this, the reach is perfect for me.
    To be more specific he means Erik Hansen not Erik Treves. Two Erik's with a K building the first 818s at the same time. The odds are crazy. If it's NRG I can get it.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are not using a quick release and don't want it too close to the stalks, get a std hub

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Spar...ring-Wheel-Hub

look at AZ pete's and how close it is to the stalks.

untitled.png

IIRC the factory wheel is 375mm so going to a 330mm wheel is going to give you an extra 22mm of knee room.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 04-17-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    To be more specific he means Erik Hansen not Erik Treves. Two Erik's with a K building the first 818s at the same time. The odds are crazy. If it's NRG I can get it.
    Yeah, I should have clarified; didn't consider that there are two Eriks. Though, yours is the only 'e'!

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently there's another Erik at "The Raceline" that's selling NRG too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Apparently there's another Erik at "The Raceline" that's selling NRG too?
    The Race Line on the forum

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

How the **** did we get so many Eriks? One maybe, two unusual, 3 WTF there must be something in the water!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    If you are not using a quick release and don't want it too close to the stalks, get a std hub
    IIRC the factory wheel is 375mm so going to a 330mm wheel is going to give you an extra 22mm of knee room.
    I would also question using the 3" deep dish in the 818 unless you are so long in the torso that the knees are an issue as it is going to bring the wheel pretty close to you. I went with NRG Steering Wheel (ST-12R) and the Quick Release 3.0 and the Short Hub combination as I will not have any controls on the steering column
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-16-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually want the steering wheel farther away from me. Right now I've got it at 1.5" farther away than "stock" and I could use another inch or so. At that distance, however, it's right on my knees - hence the problem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I actually want the steering wheel farther away from me. Right now I've got it at 1.5" farther away than "stock" and I could use another inch or so. At that distance, however, it's right on my knees - hence the problem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.
    Then I would go with a flat wheel with a std hub, as mentioned in another thread the works bell maintains all the controls and is probably your best bet.

untitled.png

you can see from that picture how far a flat wheel would be from your column.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the best I have used- it can be removed one handed for safety. But pricey. Attaches to Momo hub.

http://www.rennline.com/Steering-Whe...oductinfo/I18/
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    One of the best I have used- it can be removed one handed for safety. But pricey. Attaches to Momo hub.
    That's like my total race budget for a year
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    That's like my total race budget for a year
    Then you need a new hobby.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's not crazy... I was looking at the sparco weld on, but people say they are hard to get perfectly straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    To mount an NRG wheel you need minimally the short hub and the wheel? If you add a quick release it goes in between the hub and the wheel (but can't be used without a hub)? The short quick release says it's not compatible with the short hub, but I don't see any other hub listed.

Thanks for the help, I've never done aftermarket wheels before aside from my F500 which is very different (welded on adapter and wheel bolted to QR).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig,
    This is the combination of parts I ended up with. If I recall correctly, they say the short hub and short quick release don't mate up because of the way the holes line up. The spacer solves this issue. The spacer is also needed so you don't hit the turn stalk with your knuckles. If I were to do it again, I would probably just do the short hub and a regular quick release. I think the spacer/short quick release combo only saves you about a half inch over the regular quick release (IIRC).

Last edited by billjr212; 03-04-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the normal length quick release it does not seem to bad however, I would like the short quick release I just wish I knew the reason they don't recommend it. If the hub spacer is needed then I would imagine the normal length set ups would be close to the same length as the spacer set ups.
    Last edited by redfogo; 03-04-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The short quick release hits the steering shaft bolt, there is not enough inside clearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu5PlrIpjY8

at 1:25 you can see how far into the hub the adapter goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the video after seeing that I like the normal hub release and lock a lot better. The lock seems less error prone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    yes I am a big fan of mine, I bypassed the lockout pin (hard to operate with gloves/in general) and now it's perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried the tilt system vs the quick release?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports