Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Belt tensioner pulley bolt left hand thread

Post Thanks / Like

Belt tensioner pulley bolt left hand thread

If you are running the Coyote engine and purchase the FFR alternator kit you will receive a Motorcraft belt tensioner and will need to replace the pulley on it with the six rib pulley that comes with the kit. It is useful to know that the pulley bolt has a LEFT HAND THREAD and turns clockwise for removal. If you fracture the bolt not knowing this, you may have to buy a replacement tensioner unit as the bolt is not available from Ford spares. I did it and know that at least here in Australia Hex head M10 x 25mm left hand threaded bolts are an extinct species. Strangely enough though you can readily buy left hand thread M10 nuts anywhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    You would think they would mention that in the manual since you have to remove it. Explains why I broke it.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for passing that along. Want me to send you one?
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    Thanks for passing that along. Want me to send you one?
    Thanks Dale but I went ahead and bought a new Tensioner anyway. I also rethreaded the original tensioner to take a right hand threaded bolt. Might be useful in some application where the pulley runs clockwise. Very kind of you to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    the right hand threaded bolt makes it very difficult to un-tension the tensioner without loosening the bolt. Loctite might help.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    Thanks Dale but I went ahead and bought a new Tensioner anyway. I also rethreaded the original tensioner to take a right hand threaded bolt. Might be useful in some application where the pulley runs clockwise. Very kind of you to offer.
    Barrel, don't know where you are in Oz, but if you are on the right coast and know/see "Baz" (Barry) on the down-under forum say Hi. He and his family spent 3 days showing my wife and me around the Syd area last November at the end of our cruise around your beautiful country.

Cheers

EDIT: Found it. Have great cruise friends in Melbourne also.
    Last edited by DaleG; 04-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    If you are running the Coyote engine and purchase the FFR alternator kit you will receive a Motorcraft belt tensioner and will need to replace the pulley on it with the six rib pulley that comes with the kit. It is useful to know that the pulley bolt has a LEFT HAND THREAD and turns clockwise for removal. If you fracture the bolt not knowing this, you may have to buy a replacement tensioner unit as the bolt is not available from Ford spares. I did it and know that at least here in Australia Hex head M10 x 25mm left hand threaded bolts are an extinct species. Strangely enough though you can readily buy left hand thread M10 nuts anywhere!
    Funny thing about that ribbed pulley, after I replaced the smooth one with the ribbed pulley on the tensioner my belt became loose, so I put the smooth one back on and it's tight again. Do you think it will slip off with the smooth one when I start the motor?

Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels