FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS9 Engines

Post Thanks / Like

LS9 Engines

Has anyone heard of anyone attempting to mount this monster into a gtm? It pushes the 3300 pound corvette to times that are comparable to the LS7 gtm. I'm nowhere near beginning a project, but I am in the research phase and was just wondering if anyone has tried this. I'm typically a ford guy and absolutely hate GM, but if I am building a GM powered vehicle I'd like to try to get the biggest baddest GM has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, wait4me on the other forum (ffcars) has put a Magnussen blower on his car. Its a lot of fabrication work because the blower pulley is right into the rear window. He is pushing over 1000 hp. I'm sure there are many others who would question the sanity of putting this much power into a 2400 lb package.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    LS9 is difficult because the intake pretty much can't be reversed. I've lengthened my car in anticipation of wanting to possibly use the LS9. I am currently using an LS3 with the intake NOT reversed.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I was wondering about the space it would need, from the looks of that hatch it seems like any supercharger would require some serious modification to the vehicle design in order to fit. I've built some powerful n/a cars, but nothing gets you that cheap easy power like a supercharger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, some people even call it "cheating" but with more and more turboed and supercharged engines coming out of the OEMs, it's only a matter of time before they are more widely accepted and available. The only reason I am looking at it is basically exactly what you said. If the LS3 doesn't take care of business, then the next cheapest alternative, that I see anyway, is to go to the LS9. After all, many of the items I have like dry sump, front accessories, etc should cross over.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point if you already have the LS3, then forget all about the LS9. I'd install an aftermarket supercharger, preferably a whipple (that's what I have pushing my '05 Mustang GT to 11.3 seconds). The LS9 is basically just a supercharged LS3 anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, but when my competitors engines are costing upwards of $60k, I'll stick with the near crate LS9 at around $13k(?) and consider it a "throw away" engine. When it gets tired, pull it out and put in a new one. No work, no development, and better than 700 HP right outta the box!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an LS9 supercharger for a non-FFR project. I'm using it with an LSA block. By the time the accessories are worked out it looks like it will cost noticeably more than aftermarket options. Because LS9s are dry sump a custom balancer is needed to work on a wet sump engine. If the Edlebrock kit (or others) gets you to the power level you want, I'd seriously consider aftermarket options.

Kerry P

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, see, here's the thing. I have over $5k of accessories on the front and bottom of my LS3, so that's why I would like to keep the LS series crate engine thing going...if I can't get enough power out of the LS3 that is. Engine designer says that 500+ ft/lbs shouldn't be a problem...on 91 octane. That's considerably more than the FFR PDG GTM is running now so I'm gonna take this in "baby steps".
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I'll stick with the near crate LS9 at around $13k(?) and consider it a "throw away" engine.
    Is a "near crate" something minus the blower? IIRC the LS9 crate engine (including blower) was about $21K and you'd still need to finish the dry sump and get the intercooler pump and radiator. When I priced them, my LSX was about $9K and the LS7 was about $13K. I wouldn't be piecing something together if the complete LS9 could be had for $13K. When budgeting an LS crate engine don't assume the accessories shown in the performance book pictures are included. They stuff that's included is often less than the photos show. My LSX was shown with an intake and carb but that's now how it is actually sold.

Kerry P.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are probably right. I probably recalled incorrectly. That's why I put the ? mark. I couldn't remember for sure. I know that when I bought my LS3 the LS9 wasn't even out and I was pricing between the LS7 and the LS3 and I figured I got more bang for my buck out of the LS3 especially considering that if I went up to the rumored, at that point, LS9, I could move most everything over to it. I may have got those numbers mixed up, but, still, $21k looks a lot better than $50-$60k. I'm running an Auto Verdi dry sump, Stewart water pump, custom front cover, a rather pricey cam setup, etc etc. The cam would have to be different, but pretty sure all the HTD belt items would transfer over, along with all the rest of it. Hopefully I won't have to find out as the LS 3 will be enough.

Should be engine dynoing by mid summer. I have high hopes, but we will see.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Hopefully I won't have to find out as the LS 3 will be enough.

Should be engine dynoing by mid summer. I have high hopes, but we will see.
    The LS3 is a great engine in stock form but it has amazing potential even without forced induction. Stock heads have supported as much a 690 HP (flywheel) in a magazine test. Stroked to around 408-427 inches and you can push 600 HP with steetable low end. I've got a bare LS3 block & heads for my Type 65 Coupe and plan a low 400 CI N/A build. My LSA/LS9 combination is for a heavier car. With the extra 1000 lbs I want the big low end torque from the blower. Like you I'm hoping the N/A LS3 will be enough in a light car.

Kerry P