Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Guaging interest in cf 818 parts

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Gauging interest in cf 818 parts

Hi guys, I'm trying to gauge interest in carbon fiber parts for the 818. I'm thinking about dash/door panels/center console. They'd be sold individually or as a kit. I know there's a lot of people wanting a hardtop, but if ffr is gonna make one I don't see trying to compete price-wise with them. Anyone interested? Any ideas for other parts?
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 04-23-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the idea of CF, but it would depend on the price.
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    How about fender flares?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    OOOH. CF scoops for the side vents. I'd definitely spring for that!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody recently posted this cf side scoop from the Aventador...

Something like that would be pretty cool. The dash cap would also likely be a very big hit (pending price).

I'm planning on doing a lot of heavy body modifications (very little in carbon, and mostly for aero-benefits), but I have no plans to sell stuff and if I can grab something already made then the time saved is pretty valuable to me. Looking forward to what you come up with to offer!

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted that pic.

I'd be intersted (price dependent) on teh side scoops for sure. Maybe a dash.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    What about cf humps to replace the molded in humps on the engine cover? Could rivet on kind of like the hood scoop on the mk4.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about the side scoops too. I love the Adventador scoops, maybe something that's still sharp but fits the 818s lines better. I've already made plugs to make molds from for side scoops for the GTM, but they're going to be fg and glassed to the car. They're round edged instead of square, more like the McLaren MP4-12c. For the 818 parts, the pieces would be reasonable for the quality, imo. they would be epoxy-resin infused and uv clear-coated and HIDDEN FASTENERS. (I hate seeing screws in the face of a part.) The materials aren't cheap and the process is time consuming. I'll get some figures and run it by every after i see one in person and get an better idea of what would be involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Front splitter, rear diffuser, and side skirts are all pieces that could be done. Sadly, FFR carbon pieces are not the highest quality. When held up to any light source the FFR carbon pieces look like old sheets. I know FFR says that painting the backside black will eliminate the see through aspect, but the lines where they were see through are still visible against a dark surface. Plus the rear diffuser and side skirts are only carbon on one side. FFR also recommends scuffing and clear coating their carbon pieces once you receive them. Not really what I was looking for when I ordered the CF pieces.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to do it over again, I would not order the FFR "Carbon Fiber" pieces. Not worth the $ they are asking for.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Front splitter, rear diffuser, and side skirts are all pieces that could be done. Sadly, FFR carbon pieces are not the highest quality. When held up to any light source the FFR carbon pieces look like old sheets. I know FFR says that painting the backside black will eliminate the see through aspect, but the lines where they were see through are still visible against a dark surface. Plus the rear diffuser and side skirts are only carbon on one side. FFR also recommends scuffing and clear coating their carbon pieces once you receive them. Not really what I was looking for when I ordered the CF pieces.
    I know how you feel, I bought the splitter/rocker extentions for the GTM and sold 'em after I saw 'em. (I would have sold 'em anyway, I decided to modify the body after I got it). I still think FFR kits are a great bargain, but cf isn't their strong suit. They are doing wet layups with vinyl-ester resin. I'll be doing epoxy resin-infusion. (almost as light as prepeg, smooth finish on the inside from the from the peel-ply, show quality finish) The labor is actually more costly than the materials but yields a beautiful finished product. I don't really want to compete with FFR on something they make, the parts I'm really looking at are the interior and side scoops. I feel your pain on those parts though, it's part of why I went ahead with my body mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree the scoops should be more round. I like the lower profile of the aventador scoops vs the lotus exige scoops which come much farther forward. The 818 body can be cut to leave a lip facing forward that the scoop can attach to.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I want the scoops so that I can relocate the intercooler to the side...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd pass on doors/dash, but would definitely spring for =side scoops if done right.

Post Thanks / Like
    C. Plavan - Agreed. The "we did the best we could" feedback from FFR about the carbon pieces really leaves a bad taste in your mouth considering what you paid for the option.

Carbon Fiber - Even though FFR produces these carbon parts I think there would be a large market for show quality parts out of the box. Look at the Boyd gas tank vs FFR tank. The FFR tank comes with the kit but there is a large market for the Boyd Tanks because of their quality and additional leg room. I can understand not trying to compete with them but I think there would be a market.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    +1 on fender flares and side scoops. a more aggressive hood insert might be nice
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or a hood like this:

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    The "we did the best we could" feedback from FFR about the carbon pieces
    I was 12 when the movie Mr. Hollands Opus came out and there's one specific scene I remember from the commercials and from the movie:

[Glenn Holland]
    Oh, come on, Michael! You know the big problem here is that you people are willing... to create a generation of children who will not have the ability to think. - Or create. Or listen. -

[Board Official] Time, Mr. Holland.

[Michael] Mr. Holland, as I've said, we've done the best that we can.

[Glenn Holland] Your best is not good enough!

Something I learned the hard way from starting autocross in a small region where I dominated my 2nd year ever in the sport and then moving to a region with multiple current national champions is that "your best" is only ever measured by those around you. If you don't know you can go faster, you never try. When you start losing, you realize that you weren't as fast as you thought and need to pick up the pace. If you don't know others are doing a better job, you don't push yourself.

Maybe a little competition for CF pieces wouldn't hurt.

That's why I like the forums. I can see what other people have done and push myself to do better.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    C. Plavan - Agreed. The "we did the best we could" feedback from FFR about the carbon pieces really leaves a bad taste in your mouth considering what you paid for the option.
    The way I look at this is that after the first race weekend these are going to be pitted, nicked, etc. I did not get these for show but to use and I want the most functional and the cheapest, and FFR seems to at least my needs. If I were building a show car, I agree I would not be happy with the quality for the $$$ paid.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    CF is where the 818 should be. What year is it? It just fits. The interior needs some help. All of your ideas are great. I am in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I want the scoops so that I can relocate the intercooler to the side...
    While I'm not planning that in particular, I think it raises an important consideration. If you're going to do scoops, please make them functionally beneficial - give us a larger scoop. I'm not interested in just having an aesthetically pleasing veneer over the same size inlet.

I'd like to get two coolers on one side and I worry that there isn't enough room in the standard body. A little wider please...

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also like them larger. Not for any of the previously stated reasons (all good ones!), but because I think it looks more aggressive. I think functional would be preferred by most.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. There are valuable pieces info about the scoops, shifter/console, etc. I need to look at one in person to see what would work and what wouldn't. For instance, the scoops drawing more air in would also need to exit somewhere. I need to see one in person, anyone building in N.C.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    Hi guys, I'm trying to guage interest in carbon fiber parts for the 818. I'm thinking about dash/door panels/center console. They'd be sold individually or as a kit. I know there's a lot of people wanting a hardtop, but if ffr is gonna make one I don't see trying to compete price-wise with them. Anyone interested? Any ideas for other parts?
    I may be interested in say a center console and door panels etc. good idea man.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The interior stuff is looking doable, I was developing some stuff for the GTM interior, but there are fitment issues from car to car. (and I went way wilder than I planned) I'm probably going to offer the door panels for the GTM interior but that's it. The 818 has a one pc. dash and seems to be fitting without problems. I'm talking about a re-shaped dash too, tasteful but more shapely with vents for those who want to plumb heat-a/c. those who don't could still route a fresh air feed to it, or just have a dash that looks more oem. The center console would have drink holders and maybe a place for phone/ipod to sit.(non-slip pad?) input is welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested in a dash with vents and a center console with cup holders. The non-slip pad would be great. I'm also planning on mounting a 8" tablet instead of a radio and having that run radio, navigation, tuning software, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    As per the previous posts on this subject:

Dash, mirrors, some quality splitters & diffusers, and interior door panels.

Now - get to work

Post Thanks / Like
    Diddo

Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    I'd be interested in a dash with vents and a center console with cup holders. The non-slip pad would be great. I'm also planning on mounting a 8" tablet instead of a radio and having that run radio, navigation, tuning software, etc.
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would add a glove box to the list of wants for the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where r you guys planning on running the tablet? I was thinking out using my nexus which is a 7" but didn't see a viable space yet. Plus I'm not ready for that part of the build yet anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely in the interested camp for interior pieces. Since cf usually comes at a price, I'd like to see them more to enjoy it, so more likely to spend money on it for the interior. A double din opening would probably be the most universally pleasing, I'm guessing. For you tablet guys, I'd love to go this route, but I'm trying to be realistic with the chance it'll get rained on. What have you guys found in the waterproof department? I have a few marine grade radios picked out, but never found anything with a screen that a manufacturer was willing to put water/salt/fog rating on. I don't want to hijack the thread, but if there are options in the tablet department, and others are excited about the possibility, I imagine our thread host, would consider that while developing the pieces. I'm committed to A/C and heat, so vents are a must!

My radio priorities are usb, hands free phone and audio (bluetooth), and FM.
    Last edited by Goldwing; 04-19-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    how wide is the vertical center console?

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea. I was going to wait until I get everything and then take a look at what kind of mount I would need to make.

Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Where r you guys planning on running the tablet? I was thinking out using my nexus which is a 7" but didn't see a viable space yet. Plus I'm not ready for that part of the build yet anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not wide enought, that was my first choice until I saw it in person, next was a flat portion on the dash, but that is a current no go. I might reshape my current center console to hold a tablet. Double din feature would be amazing, I think most people would be interested in that. Also I am in the camp for AC/heater vents.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    how wide is the vertical center console?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a tablet in my GTM interior, but it's a lot wider in that area. It seems like it would be a tight fit in the 818. It would have to be a separate mount to hold it, I don't think you could make that section of the dash/center console wide enough without causing problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the idea of a reshaped dash with vents, a reshape allows room for radio, etc in the center stack. Sure down low there isn't room, but on the center stack where it transitions into the dash area, plenty of room to work with there. It really just depends on how much carbon fiber wants to "reshape." I'm not ready to tackle these issue yet either, but had in mind the idea of making a center stack to replace the transition piece and sit overtop the stock dash in the center area. Only had conceptual thoughts, I didn't develop the ideas at all. Too many unknowns until I get a few pieces in place as anchor pieces.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14