BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Unique place for seat heater switch

Post Thanks / Like

Unique place for seat heater switch

I was struggling for a while about where to put my seat heater switch. I wanted somewhere accessible, but out of sight as I'm going for the old-school look. I thought about under the dash, in the ashtray (on the tunnel), and just leaving them loose under the seat so that they could be pulled out. Then, as I was looking at the instructions again (for the I-don't-know-how-many-time) and I saw the reference to a 20mm hole for the switches. Well, I'm using a piece of tubing under the front mounting point of each seat to get just a little more lay-back than the Breeze seat pans provide and wouldn't you know - they were just about 20mm I.D.:

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris....where'd you get your seat heaters from?..... Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea! I am working on the wiring and looking for a good location for the seat heater switches too. It looks like even if you don't use the tubing, the Breeze seat mount can be drilled to accomodate the switch too. Bill
    Mk3.1 delivered June 2011, 96 Mustang donor, 98 Cobra 4.6 DOHC motor, Hydroboost, PS, ABS, 3 link, A/C, footbox/trunk/batterybox/SAI/Bumpsteer/vents mods.
    Still a work in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea. How will you know if you've left the switch on after a drive? The red and green light helps as a visual reminder that the switch is on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fordboy View Post
    Hi Chris....where'd you get your seat heaters from?..... Bob
    Fortes!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by montyals View Post
    Interesting idea. How will you know if you've left the switch on after a drive? The red and green light helps as a visual reminder that the switch is on.
    The seat heater electrical feed is switched from the ignition, so when the ignition is off, no power to the seat heaters. I guess if I get back in and the seat gets hot, I'll know I left the switch on. Not seeing the switches and the LEDs is exactly what I was looking for in this case.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,

Very timely! I was trying to figure out a way to use some toggle switches instead of these modern ones to control the heaters since they would look more appropriate on the dash.

This solution may work for me as well.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how each of us has different interpretations and make each build our own. I actually like the switches on the dash. Placed carefully they fit in (IMHO anyway) and are right in front to see if on or off, what setting etc. Not visible in this picture, but I have the same style switch next to my headlight switch for the Tangent running lights. The Speedhut gauges are a bit modern and stylized compared to the originals, so kind of all fits for me.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think for anyone looking to "hide" the seat switches, this is a very elegant solution!

I like the idea that they are attached to the seat, as it reflects their purpose.

I suppose anyone wanting to see a reminder of whether or not the seats are on, could run an indicator light to the dash. You could use the same lights as the directional lights on the dash to stay consistent.

Very nice solution!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected. Nice idea!!! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of the other end of the tube - by luck (I made these over a year ago... long before I bought the seat heaters) they're just the right size for the switch wiring - approx. 12" long.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE