Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Forums

Post Thanks / Like

Forums

Gentlemen,

Why are there two Factory Five Forums, this one and FFR.com? I have to go to both Sites to review all the roadster build threads. Does it make a difference where you post your build thread? Will you get a better build response by posting to one or the other?

Thanks for your response.

4.6 Litre

Post Thanks / Like
    when we built our first car, I put the build thread on that other forum. But now we are building a coupe and I put it here. Why? because this is the official forum now. I want it to grow. The other forum is put in place for the FORUM to make money. This forum is put into place for the members. Our build thread here has gotten way may action then the build thread on the other site by the way...
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    I came along way after there were two forums. Like QSL, I elected to post my build to the factory supported forum. As I go through the building of my FFR Mk 4, I find all the forums associated with these cars very useful and a valuable resource.

Because of its longevity, the other forum sometimes is richer in detailed experiences of the membership at this point. That is not a knock on this one, just a fact of the other around longer (IMHO) with more postings.

The other forum is the only one I am a member of that charges which bothers me but I am blessed with the resources to afford it now!

But, last but not least, this forum is member focused and friendly and will continue to use it as one of my major resources and postin sites.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    The other guys have it. FFCars is an independently owned for-profit forum. This forum is owned by Factory Five. FFCars has been around a long time so there's a lot of history there. Searches will often yield questions and answers going back many years. I have no data, but my observation from visiting both forums regularly is that FFCars still has more traffic for Roadsters. I don't follow it closely, but seems this site has the majority of 818 traffic. Don't know about other models. It's up to you whether you post including build threads on one or both forums. I have a Mk4 build thread going. I have it posted in both. It's a pretty simple cut and paste. I do get more traffic and responses on the other forum.

One thing of interest that does explain the difference a little... FFCars won't let you post links to this forum. The mods will delete it. This forum allows you to post links to FFCars.

If you want a more detailed explanation from the man when this forum started, check this: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ull=1#post8801
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-19-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    The other forum is the only one I am a member of that charges...
    Just to clarify, the other forum is a free site also. You can choose to pay to become a supporting member which gains privileges to the "Clubhouse" section (an uncensored no holds barred off topic subforum) but if you do not wish to become a supporting member you still have full access to the technical sections, classifieds, moderated off topic subforums, FAQs and archives.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The other site is well over ten years old and was started by an FFR builder who was a savy computer guy, with help from some other builders. A few years ago he was sued by Carroll Shelby himself (the site name had Cobra in it) many of us donated money to help him defend himself. The case was settled out of court ( had to not use the word Cobra) and soon after he sold the site to a company that now runs it for the advertising. I think I have that about right. A lot of us that go way back are just use to that site and have many friends over there. I do know that there is a lot more traffic on the forums for different sections of the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Cobradawg explained the other forum started early 2002. Before that it there was a Cobra forum dedicated to FFR cars called cobra forum. Com. After Bill started ffcobra dot com, the other forum withered away and then it's owner passed away from cancer.

After Carroll Shelby sued Bill and FFR, many of use donated money to Bill's defense fund. One of the outcomes was to change the name of the forum. Hence, it is now ffcars. After the suit, FFR decided to start their own forum dedicated solely to FFR cars. Both are great forums. The other one has a wealth of information developed over the last 12 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Just to clarify, the other forum is a free site also. You can choose to pay to become a supporting member which gains privileges to the "Clubhouse" section (an uncensored no holds barred off topic subforum) but if you do not wish to become a supporting member you still have full access to the technical sections, classifieds, moderated off topic subforums, FAQs and archives.

Jeff
    Jeff thanks for clarifying...I did not realize the distinction. My bad.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Gentlemen,

I really want to thank you for your responses and everyone else who posts to the Forum. They are so welcomed by newbies like me.

4.6 Litre

Post Thanks / Like
    I've also wondered why there are two sites. Regardless of the basis of each, the "other" site seems to have more activity, more information, etc. I log in to and post on both and appreciate that they complement each other.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree. Having two FFR car forums makes the experience even better. Now if I can only get my login fixed over there.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046