Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sharing information issue

Post Thanks / Like

Sharing information issue

A month or so ago I received a request for some pretty specific information about building the FFR 33. To be helpful, I sent someone a DVD which contained all of my images, my research, and the considerable number of images and research I have collected from many sources. Much of this came from YOU guys. I did not sell the DVD, it was offered to a chassis owner who also has no commercial use for the info.

At some point an image from the DVD was posted on the internet without appropriate credit given to the original source. This caused a short-lived commotion and a slightly nasty exchange with the offended "source." The issue is resolved.

HOWEVER, I have sent out about 5 DVDs to various builders and did not track the names. I won't be making anymore but if you have one, please do not share the information except with other builders. Nothing on that DVD should be exploited for commercial gain unless you own it (the image or file).

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geoff,
    Sorry to hear you ran into issues with being generous. Its probably best just to use peoples links to their blogs, photo buckets, etc. to allow them to control the content. I sent a similar DVD out years ago that only had info from my own builds and still ended up regretting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was not really an issue because we are not doing anything wrong if we archive information posted to the internet or shared via email. The concern expressed was a "perceived" intent on my part to develop "themes" and "screensavers" to market. I have NO such intent and don't feel a FFR33 package for Windows, Android, or Istuff would be worth the time invested to develop. It might be a neat endeavor for FF to develop for free distribution but I don't see an individual benefiting from the effort.

I DO have a huge number of images on my hard drive which are carefully sorted and used on my personal computer for backgrounds and screensaver images. These themes are not "marketable items" and are clearly personal use. I actually enjoy collecting images I find on the internet for this use and routinely explore specific forums to acquire them.

If you have been archiving build threads, images, etc ... I would not change a thing. In fact, about two years ago there was a build thread on the other site that was pulled down. The builder got mad about something and deleted the images from photobucket and then took the text out of the thread. This just left a shell. I let a suitable time elapse before sending a PM to see if I could help. By that time the builder regretted the move and had not saved his images anywhere. I was able to send him everything he lost by deletion.

Based on my research, the complaint directed at me was ridiculous and the manner of delivery was rude and arrogant. I actually thought it was a practical joke at first. While the term "cease and desist" was used, there was only a threat of involving a lawyer. My attorney is not concerned and would love to answer an actual cease and desist letter on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Geoff,
    Sorry to hear you ran into issues with being generous. Its probably best just to use peoples links to their blogs, photo buckets, etc. to allow them to control the content. I sent a similar DVD out years ago that only had info from my own builds and still ended up regretting it.