Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Installing the body

Post Thanks / Like

Installing the body

I tried to put the body back on the car for the first time since I took it off. I had only my younger son to help but we really fought it for about a half hour and then gave up. I could not get the body far enough forward and have the back over the rear of the car. I saw one individual who recommended cutting several inches off of the back. Is there a trick to installing the body? I can't imagine what I would have done to the paint yesterday if it had been painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how helpful this will be, but we put the back portion of my body on yesterday to get ready for Huntington Beach next weekend. I was able to stand by and watch, take pics, etc. and from what I could tell, the trick is to lift the front portion pretty high while you slide the back in place. Then the guys on the sides pull the sides apart a terrifying amount and pull down. It slips into place with some loud noises and a satisfying thud. I'm sure you'll get some better responses, but that's how we did mine yesterday. It's easier with more people. Maybe you could grab a neighbor or two. We have done it a few times now. We also have side impact bars we installed, so we have to pull the sides much further than normal and Mike had to do some trimming for those bars. Before we put those in, the body fit though. I would be very hesitant to cut anything. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    What she said is correct and it is much easier with 3 people.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    We did cut about 1 1/2 inch off the back end around the gas tank opening. Then we tilted the pontoons up and slid the back end on, then open the pontoons around the door hinges. Two people can do it if you hold the wheel well and under the door opening. Three definitely makes it easier.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    When you have the body painted, did you have issues with flexing he pontoons out? Did taking off the inch and a half result in being able to the gas tank or did it not change the look?

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer the first question, no. I haven't needed to modify the area around the fuel tank on any of the coupes we have built.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    It works well with 3 people minimum and A 4th for A spotter is not bad. Also after we painted mine and put it back on the frame none of the bolt holes lined up. after sitting on the paint buck for A few days it kind of changed shape A little, so we let it sit in the sun for A couple of hours came back and it had settled back in place.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    When using the stock mustang tank you have to cut alot more off the body to get the body to move forward enough for it to sit down correctly .
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    My body was not painted yet. When painted I would definitely get at least 3 people. From what others have said the paint flexes with the body no problem.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013