BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 818s Build Tri-cities, WA

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the undernose piece, but it doesn't have the louver cutouts.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, you ordered the CF rear diffuser, that is the under engine piece to close off under the car. It needs to be trimmed for oil pan clearance. It needs to be removed to access oil filter etc...

Easy to ID for me, it was the last of my B/O parts to arrive, 372 days after I picked up the kit. There was no PN listed with the diffuser and I didn't realize that I didn't get one until a full year after picking up my kit! LOL
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    The seats are cipher auto brand, I got them online, $390 for the pair shipped. I think there great so far. That makes a lot more sense, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Driver door and dash

So I got the driver door rough fit, both of them closed and latch but rub doing it. I think im going to have to trim the hinge mounts to get the doors to move forward more. Also started working on the dash, got it almost done actually and got it mocked up into place, still need to run wires for the back up camera, the rear speakers and a couple other things. The next step will be to pull the seats out. I still haven't installed the under seat aluminum so ill get all that done at once. But Headed to Billings for the holiday, so ill be away from it for a while.

IMG_4351_2.jpgIMG_4350.jpgIMG_4354.jpgIMG_4355_2.jpgIMG_4356_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The radio install is very slick. All it needs is a little vinyl or leather to finish up the clean look.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost there

Finally finished the interior, and while i had the windshield off again, worked on the door alignment. the drivers fits pretty good, but the passengers still scraped just a little, couldn't be more that a couple thousandths. So, the only things i have left are the license plates(which includes the state inspection), the splash guards, the trunk and hood. i think i got most of the front wiring wrapped and riveted in place, I still have to clean up the back though, might wait till i pull the engine out next winter, kinda want to get the car on the road and have some fun before I lock her in the garage again. I tried to use a couple rubberized spray paints on the splash guards but they didn't turn out, so I'm having them powder coated, them Ill paint on an epoxy bed liner. Also have to get an exhaust, I imagine that ill borrow a trailer from a coworker and do the state inspection right after i have the exhaust done. Ive also already fit up the rear defuser, just waiting for the fins to get back from the powder coater.

You can see in one of these pics that my hood is a little crooked in the front, Sucks, I think im going to end up with Bondo all over this car before its ready for paint/vinyl.

IMG_4498.jpgIMG_4521.jpgIMG_4520.jpgIMG_4519.jpgIMG_4515.jpgIMG_4514.jpgIMG_4513.jpgIMG_4500.jpgIMG_4499.jpgIMG_4522.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sean,
    Nice job.
    Thanks for posting interior pics. Not many that I've seen so far.
    Also, I like the speaker in the door. Did it end up working out well. I see you also have tweeters on the dash and two more speakers between the seats. Sound good?
    What do you have for amplification?
    I've got my chassis pretty much done and in go-kart mode. Now I start the body and interior.
    I may have to call you up on my next trip down to Washington.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, the clearace for the speaker in the door is perfect, just barley misses the door frame. I'm not running any amp, and it sounds great right now. I Think I'm going to have to fade bias the speakers toward the front, which is easy. I haven't been paying attention to the music in the short time I've had it up and down my street, so I'm not sure what's its going to sound like at 70.

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit at a time

Just some more pics of the progress lately. Got both the rear trunks mounted, had some trimming on the front of the two and for the rear i had to die cut the threads so the pin would serve its purpose. Bought a show 'n go front license plate holder, works pretty good. A finally got the hardware necessary to get the p hose clamps secured.

IMG_4527_2.jpgIMG_4528_2.jpgIMG_4529_2.jpgIMG_4530_2.jpgIMG_4531_2.jpgIMG_4532_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Is this the same shift boot everyone else got with the kit.seems like one of those square peg and round hole things.

Attachment 35910
    Looks like the one I got so did it fit ? if so why is it so strangely shaped ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I'd say it fits, looks ok but not great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the rear license plate mount on, the side carbon rockers and the street spoiler.

IMG_4536_2.jpgIMG_4537_2.jpgIMG_4538_2.jpgIMG_4539_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    All i have left are the hood pins. Here are some updated photos of my progress. Also got the rear diffuser installed, with the fins. Finally discovered the location of the last couple pieces of aluminum. A little irritating that these pieces are almost entirely excluded from the manual. Im planning on installing them when i get the body colored, at a later date.

IMG_4545.jpgIMG_4546.jpgIMG_4547.jpgIMG_4548.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! When do you plan on registering it? Anything completed in the cockpit?

Post Thanks / Like
    My state inspection is apr 3rd. The **** pit is done as far as the kit is concerned, I'm going to do a leather interior at a later date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, cockpit*

Post Thanks / Like

Kit Complete

Yup, I have completed the kit. Still plan of getting her some color, doing the interior, and rebuilding the engine next winter. But now it time to have some fun with her.

IMG_4564_2.jpgIMG_4563.jpgIMG_4562.jpgIMG_4558.jpgIMG_4559.jpgIMG_4561.jpgIMG_4560.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean, congrats on the build! I like your decision to have fun with it during the warm months, then details during the long winter months. I'm also planning on a double-din unit in the console so seeing yours helps a lot. Thanks for all the pictures.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust

Got the exhaust installed along with some carbon fiber exhaust flanges. Also took her out to the local auto cross track last weekend, just to shake the bolts loose. Had some trouble with her overheating but after some venting shes running great now. Read more about it here if you like. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ooling-burping My car inspection for the state is tomorrow, wish me luck.

IMG_4577.jpgIMG_4578.jpgIMG_4579.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My car inspection for the state is tomorrow, wish me luck.
    Keep us posted on the inspection and results, I hope all goes well !
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean, your exhaust is exactly what I've been planning on going. Can you share where you got your components and I can't tell from the pic but is it stainless or regular mild steel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! Any videos from the autocross?
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sean,
    Is that the Camaro muffler? I've been looking at that as one of the options so I can do dual exhaust, but I'm trying first to keep it all lower down so I can exit lower down and also have a trunk. Yours is my back-up plan if that doesn't work out.
    Can you post a video with sound?
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the exhaust installed along with some carbon fiber exhaust flanges. Also took her out to the local auto cross track last weekend, just to shake the bolts loose. Had some trouble with her overheating but after some venting shes running great now. Read more about it here if you like. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ooling-burping My car inspection for the state is tomorrow, wish me luck.

IMG_4577.jpgIMG_4578.jpgIMG_4579.jpg
    Finally a dual exhaust!!

Post Thanks / Like
    i bought all the parts off summit racing and had s local guy do the weldibg. All the components are mild steel but I'm looking at maybe having the coated. A local place has this high temp powder coating made for exhausts.

FLO-842583 Muffler
    MPE-59955 Cat
    PTE-H7059 180degree mandrel bend
    SUM-670176 2 90degree mandrel bends

I think I am going to have the same guy build me a straight pipe system after my inspection is done. Right now the exhaust note is super mild. Not any louder than a showroom sti I imagine. I've got a video from the auto cross but it's not from in the car. I'll post that one and one of the exhaust sound when I get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Good and Bad

Good News is that my inspection went well. I dont know what the factory was thinking when they pu the serial number for the car on the front cross member, right where the lower windshield surround goes. even if the surround wasnt there you still wouldnt be able to see the number with out taking the dash apart. Either way I had the state assign me a VIN. Had to take the car over to get weighed, moment of truth for me. She came in at 2080lb. Not super happy about that but i also have some aftermarket stuff that the demo car didn't have. Now for the bad news, On the way back from the CAT scales one of the nipples on the turbo degas tank broke off and blew coolant all over, not to mention stranding me on the highway. Yesterday i got the new tank in and should be good to go from now on. I went with a moroso tank that i ordered off fastwrx.com. Also included some pictures of the method i used to bleed the coolant system.

IMG_4582.jpgIMG_4583.jpgIMG_4585.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you road registered now? Congratulations!!!!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good News is that my inspection went well. I dont know what the factory was thinking when they pu the serial number for the car on the front cross member, right where the lower windshield surround goes. even if the surround wasnt there you still wouldnt be able to see the number with out taking the dash apart. Either way I had the state assign me a VIN. Had to take the car over to get weighed, moment of truth for me. She came in at 2080lb. Not super happy about that but i also have some aftermarket stuff that the demo car didn't have. Now for the bad news, On the way back from the CAT scales one of the nipples on the turbo degas tank broke off and blew coolant all over, not to mention stranding me on the highway. Yesterday i got the new tank in and should be good to go from now on. I went with a moroso tank that i ordered off fastwrx.com. Also included some pictures of the method i used to bleed the coolant system.

IMG_4582.jpgIMG_4583.jpgIMG_4585.jpg
    Did they have any issues with you not having wipers or a wash tank? I have my inspection scheduled for the 6th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the nipple break off from hitting the frame? Stock motor mounts?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I have plates for my car. The inspection was weird, the guy didn't use the check list and didn't look for wipers, center light or reflectors. He didn't even test the lights, turn signals. About the tank, i don't know how it would have hit the frame, and the new one seems to be working. Don't know why it matters but i do have the stock motor mounts.

Video of the exhaust.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTr...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome. I hope i get someone who flys me right through the inspection process as well. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock motor mounts are soft and allow enough motion for the tank to hit the frame member. So.done else had that same problem.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Got these sweet exhaust tips welded on.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it Finishes it off nicely.

I think youre going to hate cleaning up the sooty condensation off of the bumper tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have plates for my car. The inspection was weird, the guy didn't use the check list and didn't look for wipers, center light or reflectors. He didn't even test the lights, turn signals. About the tank, i don't know how it would have hit the frame, and the new one seems to be working. Don't know why it matters but i do have the stock motor mounts.
    When I got my homemade car registered here in WA, they didn't care about the safety devices, lights, etc. She wasn't too crazy about it not having an airbag or door handles, but she only spoke to those things. The only thing they really cared about was that all the components had papers so she could certify that nothing was stolen.

Post Thanks / Like
    The exhaust sounds great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiryu View Post
    When I got my homemade car registered here in WA, they didn't care about the safety devices, lights, etc. She wasn't too crazy about it not having an airbag or door handles, but she only spoke to those things. The only thing they really cared about was that all the components had papers so she could certify that nothing was stolen.
    Which location and when did you have your inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Which location and when did you have your inspection?
    I ended up doing it at the Bellevue Washington State Patrol location. I wanted to do it in my hometown of Walla Walla, but I think they had just discontinued the service there? Besides, the guy didn't sound that nice over the phone...

It was July or August of 2013, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks and sounds great. Did you get those cf flanges from summit as well? That's a great finishing touch.
    Kit #295 Picked up 11/26/2014!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiryu View Post
    I went in for my inspection today. The VIN officer didnt even want to look at anything else after noticing that it didnt have an airbag. Said off-road only. Was not willing to be helpful or explain things.

I have another date scheduled for the Bellevue location at the end of the month. Ill see how that goes.

May have to go to Tri-cities if thats what it takes lol

Stanley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast