Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: iWire Turn Key 818 Harness for R and S Models

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post
    To Robert's point about tech support. This comes as a bonus to purchasing a harness from us.
    I'll admit, this is something I was looking forward to when I sent you my harness. No more "oh crap...it didn't do what I thought......now what? Let's see...what wires did I cut? Oh....all of them...right...........crap".
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, a guide that says which wires need to go where would be extremely helpful. I know you put something together for this Mechie. A more useful thing is distances/lengths which could be labeled on an overview photo.

A lot of people could probably follow a DIY kit if you just take a high resolution photo of your layout, then label each connector (ie, A, B, C, etc.) then have a photo of each connector with wires spread out and mark each wire (ie, A1,A2,A31, etc.) then say A31 connects to B11, A2 connects to C3/B4/andE5, etc.
    Last edited by bbjones121; 09-23-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will add that Brian is very helpful even if you don't buy a harness from him!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Honestly, a guide that says which wires need to go where would be extremely helpful. I know you put something together for this Mechie. A more useful thing is distances.

Honestly a lot of people could probably follow a DIY kit if you just take a high resolution photo of your layout, then label each connector (ie, A, B, C, etc.) then have a photo of each connector with wires spread out and mark each wire (ie, A1,A2,A31, etc.) then say A31 connects to B11, A2 connects to C3/B4/andE5, etc.
    I would love just a complete and 100% correct list. I am working on one right now, just trying work out the kinks before I take large scale pictures. If I just had a known working list it would streamline documenting with the fear of being wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can find my thread somewhere. It's a long excel spreadsheet of all the wires needed/not needed, but it was made from a dieting POV, not a build up POV. It's a least a start. The hard part is that every model year is a little different and various options (auto HVAC, etc) make it different.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    You can find my thread somewhere. It's a long excel spreadsheet of all the wires needed/not needed, but it was made from a dieting POV, not a build up POV. It's a least a start. The hard part is that every model year is a little different and various options (auto HVAC, etc) make it different.
    I saw that thread I am starting to add its findings over to my documentation. I just feel something form the "Wire king" might be the be all end all documentation if he already has it together. However if not no worries, in between your info and other info I'm finding I hope to be able to complete a list of 02-03 wiring that can be deleted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I saw that thread I am starting to add its findings over to my documentation. I just feel something form the "Wire king" might be the be all end all documentation if he already has it together. However if not no worries, in between your info and other info I'm finding I hope to be able to complete a list of 02-03 wiring that can be deleted.
    If your doing your wiring for an 03 you'll find my documentation to be helpful as well.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post211804
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with this 100%, but there is a difference in mechanical DIY and electrical DIY. Wouldn't you agree that a majority of people who decided to build this car were interested the mechanical aspects of the build, not the nuisances of modern electrical systems? This is why at the heart of we do, we wan't to turn that electrical process into a mechanical one. Like Robert (Fireblade) mentioned, there is so much going on behind the scenes that comes with experience and knowledge. A DIY kit is just not going to be able to translate all of that, so when someone without an electrical background goes to build it the end result is just not going to replicate what we create here.

To Robert's point about tech support. This comes as a bonus to purchasing a harness from us. We will help as much as we possibly can and our customers can vouch for that. We would not be able to provide that support to the DIY customers because it would just be too daunting and not being a helpful resource to someone who has purchased from us not something we would feel right about doing.
    I have to agree with Brian 100%. I'm a DIY type, but throw in the towel when it comes to electrical. There is no benefit for him to offer a DIY kit for $900-$1200. You are not only buying wire and plugs, you are buying his expertise and knowledge. If you think that is too much $ for a "Full Service" harness, then you can have fun doing it yourself. If anyone thinks that if Brian is doing a disservice not offering a lower price point DIY wiring harness, you should direct your frustration towards FFR if you feel you need to. It is their kit they sold you after all. I can only imagine what headaches would come from the constant phone calls or questions. It's not worth it at this point for him. He is booked for months with "Full Service" harnesses.

Brian saw an opportunity to create a plug and play wiring harness for the 818. I'm sure glad he did, otherwise I probably would have been still tangled up in wire in the garage after 100+ hours of frustration. Yes, the harness is expensive, but worth every penny.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree that out is worth every penny for those that are not electrical diy types. An expensive paint job for the 818 is also worth every penny for someone who doesn't know how to paint a car...but there are electrical DIY types that are getting ignored. This project has many steps, some I can handle others I can't. I was hoping to pay for some of those measurements and directions that iwire has already obtained so that I may spend more money on something I am less familiar with, painting. It is fairly obvious the philosophy in here and it is probably better not to offer a DIY given the defensible reaction from people who have already spent the $2k+.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question as far as the SBF (slow blow fuse) if they are being eliminated or if there are mini blade versions. I have not been able to find mini blade versions myself so I haven't been able to see how to implement and SBF into the cooper bussman fuse/relay holders. What's the solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    We appreciate the kind words over here Chad.

I completely agree that out is worth every penny for those that are not electrical diy types. An expensive paint job for the 818 is also worth every penny for someone who doesn't know how to paint a car...but there are electrical DIY types that are getting ignored. This project has many steps, some I can handle others I can't. I was hoping to pay for some of those measurements and directions that iwire has already obtained so that I may spend more money on something I am less familiar with, painting. It is fairly obvious the philosophy in here and it is probably better not to offer a DIY given the defensible reaction from people who have already spent the $2k+.
    Let's keep it civil here please.

It sounds like you have an electrical background which means this is something that is easier for you, that's awesome, but the problem from a business stand point with a DIY kit is that not everyone will. If so, how do we as a business deal with that? Most people will go for the cheaper option even if they may not have the technical knowledge to do it. Maybe part of the problem here is looking at what we provide as a service when it's really a product that has built in intellectual property. We spent a lot of time in figuring out how to do it, and are continuously improving on it. We would be giving away all of that with a DIY kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    I have a question as far as the SBF (slow blow fuse) if they are being eliminated or if there are mini blade versions. I have not been able to find mini blade versions myself so I haven't been able to see how to implement and SBF into the cooper bussman fuse/relay holders. What's the solution?
    Simple answer is that you will not need the SBFs due to having a simplified harness. Subaru uses them to protect the alternator/battery for bigger loads (you'll see that are from 30-50 amp) that spike temporarily (initial start of the window motor). Since you'll be splitting up the systems, most of your fuses won't need to exceed 30 amps and should be relatively stable with load. If you find that something does exceed it, like the power windows, you'll use a circuit breaker or something similar that can handle it.
    Last edited by iWire; 09-29-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Brian, don't get me wrong, I think you do a great job for the niche market. Having Mechie/Craig ask for a harness after all the work that he did in his wiring harness thread speaks only positive for your product. I definitely promote your product outside of these forums. A couple weeks ago, a guy who stopped by to help me with my 818 is planning on swapping a 2.5 ej247 block into his old model legacy. I completely sold your harness idea to him. I personally don't think people that would spend over $600 for a diy kit would go behind your back and give it out, but we all are human in this world, so who knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Brian, don't get me wrong, I think you do a great job for the niche market. Having Mechie/Craig ask for a harness after all the work that he did in his wiring harness thread speaks only positive for your product. I definitely promote your product outside of these forums. A couple weeks ago, a guy who stopped by to help me with my 818 is planning on swapping a 2.5 ej247 block into his old model legacy. I completely sold your harness idea to him. I personally don't think people that would spend over $600 for a diy kit would go behind your back and give it out, but we all are human in this world, so who knows.
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate spreading the word. We wouldn't have gotten this far without people like you saying nice things about us. I just want to be upfront and honest about what's going on over here. I completely respect the fact people want to build it themselves and will help where I can, but only if it makes sense for the business.

It would only be a matter of time before someone posted it up somewhere, just the world we live in. :/
    Last edited by iWire; 09-29-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I have to agree with Brian 100%. I'm a DIY type, but throw in the towel when it comes to electrical. There is no benefit for him to offer a DIY kit for $900-$1200. You are not only buying wire and plugs, you are buying his expertise and knowledge. If you think that is too much $ for a "Full Service" harness, then you can have fun doing it yourself. If anyone thinks that if Brian is doing a disservice not offering a lower price point DIY wiring harness, you should direct your frustration towards FFR if you feel you need to. It is their kit they sold you after all. I can only imagine what headaches would come from the constant phone calls or questions. It's not worth it at this point for him. He is booked for months with "Full Service" harnesses.

Brian saw an opportunity to create a plug and play wiring harness for the 818. I'm sure glad he did, otherwise I probably would have been still tangled up in wire in the garage after 100+ hours of frustration. Yes, the harness is expensive, but worth every penny.
    AMEN, mine is absolutely lovely and is so clean. The rats nest is gone! My harness issues made me think the car would be unreliable. Brian's is production worthy. AND Brian is a joy to deal with is you have questions too!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    AMEN, mine is absolutely lovely and is so clean. The rats nest is gone! My harness issues made me think the car would be unreliable. Brian's is production worthy. AND Brian is a joy to deal with is you have questions too!
    Thanks Dan! Glad to hear your happy.

And we helped get another 818 go karted all the way on the other side of the world!

David C's Australian 06 WRX Powered RHD 818 R
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1784988&type=3

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are working on mine right now!!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished most of the engine side for yours last week. It was a bit of a challenge to get everything routed to match your previous routing but it came out great. No where nearly as difficult as David's C. from Australia and his came out great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just like to cause trouble I guess.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I just like to cause trouble I guess.
    Inherent to our engineering background... I had an old boss that said I had to be moved around on new projects so often because if he didn't I'd break something so I could fix it!

Brian was amazingly responsive and helpful with my running issues, my eventual fuel starvation issues timing coincided with getting the new harness. If I started with Brian's harness I would have totally removed the center console tubing since it isn'rt structural and would have had more room for seats.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian is an awesome guy, he's totally helpful even with his busy schedule

Post Thanks / Like
    I second that opinion. Hugely helpful long before I decide to stop doing the wiring myself and switch to his harness.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svanlare View Post
    I second that opinion. Hugely helpful long before I decide to stop doing the wiring myself and switch to his harness.
    Same here, I would have bought it already Of it wasn't such a wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan! Glad to hear your happy.

And we helped get another 818 go karted all the way on the other side of the world!

David C's Australian 06 WRX Powered RHD 818 R

Man RHD looks sweet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PleiadsMan View Post
    Same here, I would have bought it already Of it wasn't such a wait
    Wait is approximately 6 weeks right now. How fast do you need it?

Thanks guys! Spent all day on the phone yesterday since apparently a lot of people had Columbus Day off. Haha As a result I'm finishing your harness right now (instead of yesterday). Just need to bench test and wrap it up tomorrow so it can be in the box by tomorrow afternoon.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to bother you but i am in a twitter with my 818 problem
    i made the mistake of buying a vcp harness and I believe he wired the harness for a 2.5 turbo out of a 2002 impreza
    I have a 2002 2.5 ej25 non turbo engine the ecu is not right related to the iac valve mine has 6 wires and the turbo version only has 3
    is there a fix you would recommend? I did a continuity test and show 1 red wire coming from the ecu (tech s) to the iac valve
    kerry sylvester
    765 675 7949
    email: [email protected]

symptoms of the engine iac valve doesnt talk to ecu or move in or out when i turn on and off the key

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by indiana818 View Post
    sorry to bother you but i am in a twitter with my 818 problem
    i made the mistake of buying a vcp harness and I believe he wired the harness for a 2.5 turbo out of a 2002 impreza
    I have a 2002 2.5 ej25 non turbo engine the ecu is not right related to the iac valve mine has 6 wires and the turbo version only has 3
    is there a fix you would recommend? I did a continuity test and show 1 red wire coming from the ecu (tech s) to the iac valve
    kerry sylvester
    765 675 7949
    email: [email protected]

symptoms of the engine iac valve doesnt talk to ecu or move in or out when i turn on and off the key
    Sorry about the delay on the response. It didn't pop in my notifications for some reason. I'm sure Wayne can help you out (he has an outstanding reputation) so I would go back to him. To answer your question, there are serious differences between the turbo and non turbo harnesses and ECUs. If that is the case it would probably need to be redone with the non turbo harness and ECU.

Just finished up Mechie3/Zero Decibel Motorsports harness and it turned out great!
    Last edited by iWire; 10-27-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks so much better than the previous mess I made.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks so much better than the previous mess I made.
    I just can't wait for you at have a finished car. Well, sort of finished since you keep making upgrades.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Halloween from the iWire Crew!

[email protected]

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mooooltipass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic lol, bada-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody else have a thing for that chick while growing up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Anybody else have a thing for that chick while growing up?
    I didn't think having a thing for Mila ever stops. ;D
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious if you plan to build a coupe harness to work with the ecoboost engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding choice on the halloween outfit!

Dropped the harness in on Sunday and powered up the car for the first time. Have to say, 1 day to make sure I labelled everything and knew what was what and 1 day to hook it up, zip tie it in place and turn it on. Very happy with the results. Now if I can finish a list of odds and ends we'll try to start the sucker soon.

Thanks
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Allwine View Post
    I'm curious if you plan to build a coupe harness to work with the ecoboost engine?
    We can address it, sure. Might be modifying what Ford already makes to work with our body harness. I'll be at SEMA this week so hopefully I can get some details from FF about it.

Outstanding choice on the halloween outfit!

Dropped the harness in on Sunday and powered up the car for the first time. Have to say, 1 day to make sure I labelled everything and knew what was what and 1 day to hook it up, zip tie it in place and turn it on. Very happy with the results. Now if I can finish a list of odds and ends we'll try to start the sucker soon.

Thanks

Glad to hear it! Let's get that thing fired up.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll be here at SEMA for the rest of the day so say hi if you're here!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update that we will be adding a 3rd fusebox to all coupe builds (unless otherwise requested) to allow for accessory power in order to run all of the creature comforts that will become available with the hardtop. With this change will be a pricing update. More details to come soon.

Even with the added fuse box, the complete harness with all modules, fuses, circuit breaker, battery/alt cables, etc still comes in at 26lbs.

Last edited by iWire; 11-09-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Harness build number #50 and 600 builds since iWire began! Thanks for the support everyone and keep em coming!

11262018_1048581558505439_7427659403348919117_o.jpg
    Last edited by iWire; 11-30-2015 at 06:07 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, will you be attending the PRI show?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast