FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: iWire Turn Key 818 Harness for R and S Models

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post
    Plenty of creature comforts on this S model!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1784988&type=1
    Nice, almost as much comfort features that I have in the R.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated original post to reflect changes in available options as well as pictures of the 12 completed harness to date. Now it's time to get on the next 6 that are already here!
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    2014 UPDATE:
    Happy New Year to everyone! Can't tell you guys how excited we are over here with 15 818 harnesses in just over half of the year in 2014.

In addition, for those who are looking at having us build you a harness, the sooner you get a hold of us the better we can fit into your project timeline. Currently we have 13 people in line so that's somewhere around 2-3 months backlog. We're working on streamlining the process in order to speed up turnaround time, but even that will take some time in order to be able to customize to each individuals needs and keep the quality top notch.
    Last edited by iWire; 01-05-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got my place in line before the Holidays; looking forward to the finished product!

Brian, I'll get in touch soon with specifics on the options I'd like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the backlog of business Brian!

Everyone considering it - you won't be disappointed. The final product is gorgeous and will tidy up any build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I got my place in line before the Holidays; looking forward to the finished product!

Brian, I'll get in touch soon with specifics on the options I'd like.
    Awesome! We still have time to work it out, so just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Congrats on the backlog of business Brian!

Everyone considering it - you won't be disappointed. The final product is gorgeous and will tidy up any build.
    Thanks Jason! I'm glad you are happy with it.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    just got my place in line. Will be sending out my harness soon. Cant wait to get it. I do believe this is the way to go. Ive wasted enough time trying to get my harness to fit. Thanks for offering this service!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 818wrx View Post
    just got my place in line. Will be sending out my harness soon. Cant wait to get it. I do believe this is the way to go. Ive wasted enough time trying to get my harness to fit. Thanks for offering this service!!
    You're quite welcome and it's my pleasure to be able to help out!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    How much of the factory harness are you using? Just the plug ends? I am contemplating your service, but I've got two donor vehicles (long story). One is an 04 FXT (5MT) that has a good motor and transmission with low miles (61K), but main fuse panel under hood was pretty mangled in the collision that took the car off the road, and I had to cut all the wires in half at the point where they'd go through the firewall (again, because of the collision...the thing got T-boned in the driver's door). The other harness is out of a high mileage 2006 WRX (5MT), and it's pristine, but if you're effectively taking the plug ends and building a new harness, maybe I could resell the pristine harness to help defer the costs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by projectrally View Post
    How much of the factory harness are you using? Just the plug ends? I am contemplating your service, but I've got two donor vehicles (long story). One is an 04 FXT (5MT) that has a good motor and transmission with low miles (61K), but main fuse panel under hood was pretty mangled in the collision that took the car off the road, and I had to cut all the wires in half at the point where they'd go through the firewall (again, because of the collision...the thing got T-boned in the driver's door). The other harness is out of a high mileage 2006 WRX (5MT), and it's pristine, but if you're effectively taking the plug ends and building a new harness, maybe I could resell the pristine harness to help defer the costs...
    Ideally the ECU to engine section would be intact, but in this case we could probably make it work. However, which ECU and engine are you planning on running. 04 FXT and 06 WRX do not use the same ECU.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally the ECU to engine section would be intact, but in this case we could probably make it work. However, which ECU and engine are you planning on running. 04 FXT and 06 WRX do not use the same ECU.
    That sort of depends on the wiring, honestly. As I said, I've got two donors, an 04 FXT and an 06 WRX. The long block I'm using will be from the 04 FXT. I've got ECUs for both, but no key for the 04 FXT. I don't think that's a problem because I believe the 04 FXT was the last year before the immobilizer, but you'd know better on that front. I'd like to use the WRX instrument cluster, but the idea of skipping the immobilizer nonsense sounds pretty nice to me. Honestly, though, I'm fine running either ECU. I'd defer to your experience on the matter.

My plan prior to considering your service was to use the 04 FXT long block with all the accessories from the 06 WRX including wiring harness and instrument cluster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, give me a call sometime, I decided to send everything to Brian (iWire) we can discuss wiring "issues"
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I really haven’t paid a lot of attention to this thread until now, to the point that I didn’t really even fully understand what it was about. However. after reading through the entire thread, I’m growing very, VERY interested. I detest wiring, and am not remotely good at it. I am absolutely terrorized by the prospect of dealing with the factory wiring harness when it becomes necessary four to six months down the road. While I’m not that thrilled about adding $2K+ to the cost of my project, it would remove the only really serious obstacle to its successful completion. So I’ll probably bite.

Brian, my project is based on a 2004 NA Impreza (Outback Sport, actually). I have the entire harness from the ’04 donor car. However, because the ’04 NA ECU was not tunable, I bought an ’02 ECU (which has since been mail-order tuned by Delicious Tuning of San Diego CA). I also bought an ’02 Harness out of a salvage yard (it seems to be a lot less bulky than my ’04, so I think it is just the engine harness), along with an ‘02 instrument cluster and an ’02 Intake Manifold (which has since been ported, polished and ceramic coated by Grimmspeed) to eliminate any potential incompatibilities between the older ECU and the rest of the car.

Will the hodgepodge mix and match of my components make my harness less (or more) doable from your perspective? If so, will it have any impact in either direction on the cost? When is the best time to call to avoid slowing down progress on somebody else’s harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by projectrally View Post
    That sort of depends on the wiring, honestly. As I said, I've got two donors, an 04 FXT and an 06 WRX. The long block I'm using will be from the 04 FXT. I've got ECUs for both, but no key for the 04 FXT. I don't think that's a problem because I believe the 04 FXT was the last year before the immobilizer, but you'd know better on that front. I'd like to use the WRX instrument cluster, but the idea of skipping the immobilizer nonsense sounds pretty nice to me. Honestly, though, I'm fine running either ECU. I'd defer to your experience on the matter.

My plan prior to considering your service was to use the 04 FXT long block with all the accessories from the 06 WRX including wiring harness and instrument cluster.
    I'd just stick with all 04 FXT. I can set it up to run either cluster, no big deal on that front. If you run the 06 WRX manifold you'll really need to run the 06 WRX harness which means immobilizer which you mentioned you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I really haven’t paid a lot of attention to this thread until now, to the point that I didn’t really even fully understand what it was about. However. after reading through the entire thread, I’m growing very, VERY interested. I detest wiring, and am not remotely good at it. I am absolutely terrorized by the prospect of dealing with the factory wiring harness when it becomes necessary four to six months down the road. While I’m not that thrilled about adding $2K+ to the cost of my project, it would remove the only really serious obstacle to its successful completion. So I’ll probably bite.

Brian, my project is based on a 2004 NA Impreza (Outback Sport, actually). I have the entire harness from the ’04 donor car. However, because the ’04 NA ECU was not tunable, I bought an ’02 ECU (which has since been mail-order tuned by Delicious Tuning of San Diego CA). I also bought an ’02 Harness out of a salvage yard (it seems to be a lot less bulky than my ’04, so I think it is just the engine harness), along with an ‘02 instrument cluster and an ’02 Intake Manifold (which has since been ported, polished and ceramic coated by Grimmspeed) to eliminate any potential incompatibilities between the older ECU and the rest of the car.

Will the hodgepodge mix and match of my components make my harness less (or more) doable from your perspective? If so, will it have any impact in either direction on the cost? When is the best time to call to avoid slowing down progress on somebody else’s harness?
    Glad to see the thread has at least possibly persuaded you! You're "hodgepodge" should not be a problem and not have any impact on cost. Call me anytime. With the wait list at 15 now, everything including sleeping and eating slows them down, so I just have to do my best to keep them moving. ;D
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good, Dan. New donor was supposed to arrive today, but it didn't. Maybe tomorrow. Though, with the snow we're supposed to get, I wouldn't mind if didn't show up till Monday...

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, the more I think about it, the more positive I feel about unloading the wiring harness issue on someone who knows what they're doing.

I'll give you a call in the next day or two, to figure out the specifics of what I need made, and to put together a definitive list of what I need to send you.
    Last edited by Silvertop; 01-29-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    Brian, the more I think about it, the more positive I feel about unloading the wiring harness issue on someone who knows what they're doing.

I'll give you a call in the next day or two, to figure out the specifics of what I need made, and to put together a definitive list of what I need to send you.
    Great! Love to hear that and looking forward to your call.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are doing it yourself, make sure it doesn't look like this. lol

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iWire; 03-14-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got a real install help document up. It's a first draft and changes will be made as we go along. I'll be sending it out to current customers but if you want to check it out you can see it here.

http://www.iwireservices.com/#!facto...ing-kits/c1li1
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Racepak for Ray

AIM Dash for Mitch

Both are excellent products if you are in the market.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [email protected]

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    read through the instructions. nice job.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I should do that soon, since Brian's working on my harness right now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Thanks!

I should do that soon, since Brian's working on my harness right now!
    Plugging away. Looking forward to handing it off this weekend. ;D
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone is going to be at the Cruise In tomorrow come find me and say hi!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone is going to be at the Cruise In tomorrow come find me and say hi!
    You are taking the day off? You could be working on an 818 harnesses
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    I'll be working Sunday. ;P
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    How long is the current back log on 818s orders? I am just starting to find out how badly the donor harnesses from a front engine car fit in this tiny kit.
    Dave in MA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    How long is the current back log on 818s orders? I am just starting to find out how badly the donor harnesses from a front engine car fit in this tiny kit.
    Dave in MA.
    It's worth every penny!
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto, mine just plugged and played vs an unreliable rats nest... I did it myself, go karted car. Pulled oil pan etc after the blow ups occurred to install STI stuff, went to restart... NADA, DEAD, UGH sent the mess to brian, it's truly amazing how much less wire there can be and the installation is really clean.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with both above. I just started laying my iWire harness in this weekend. I was reminded of the workmanship and couldn't help but think to myself that I was happy to have shelled out the coin for such a nice product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In his defense, Brian did meet me at the show to deliver my harness, so he was kinda working... Thanks again Brian!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice you finally got your harness. It's been done for ages let me know how your headlights turn out once you get them in and adjusted. Wondering if you will have the same problem azpete was having.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CU9DZ View Post
    Dave in MA.
    We're in still hovering at 15 deep so you can expect around 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    It's worth every penny!

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    ditto, mine just plugged and played vs an unreliable rats nest... I did it myself, go karted car. Pulled oil pan etc after the blow ups occurred to install STI stuff, went to restart... NADA, DEAD, UGH sent the mess to brian, it's truly amazing how much less wire there can be and the installation is really clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Agreed with both above. I just started laying my iWire harness in this weekend. I was reminded of the workmanship and couldn't help but think to myself that I was happy to have shelled out the coin for such a nice product.
    What they said! ;D I really appreciate the compliments, a lot goes into each harness.

In his defense, Brian did meet me at the show to deliver my harness, so he was kinda working... Thanks again Brian!
    This is very true, however, there were no 818s there! Probably a good thing though as the rain started in the afternoon. I bailed before it really started coming down. I had to get the garage queen back in the garage where it belongs. lol
    Last edited by iWire; 04-25-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to message you soon. The more I see this the more I dislike my harness. I dieted 40lbs from it and spent (read: likely wasted) weeks/months on it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, Brian's harness is a work of art that will be shown off on my R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I need to message you soon. The more I see this the more I dislike my harness. I dieted 40lbs from it and spent (read: likely wasted) weeks/months on it.
    Sorry to hear you feel like you wasted your time, this sentiment seems pretty common as we have done a couple harnesses for people in your exact position. We're here to help if you decide not to continue with it and we should have no problem using the harness that you have dieted. Upside is that shipping will be cheaper. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Craig, Brian's harness is a work of art that will be shown off on my R.
    Wow, thank you Mitch!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    We're in still hovering at 15 deep so you can expect around 3 months.
    I still remember when you did not know what an 818 was ! It always nice to have a short backlog of work ! You need to take less time off and more overtime!
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I still remember when you did not know what an 818 was ! It always nice to have a short backlog of work ! You need to take less time off and more overtime!
    I'll keep putting in 60+ hour weeks until I drop dead. ha
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Nice you finally got your harness. It's been done for ages
    Yeah, it looks great, but it's still in the box... I've been busy with work and home buying, so the amount of time and energy I've had for the 818 lately has been extremely limited!

Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    let me know how your headlights turn out once you get them in and adjusted. Wondering if you will have the same problem azpete was having.
    It looks like the root cause of Pete's issue with the Spyder projector headlights is that they're rotated in comparison to how they're mounted in the Camry. Although there's no roll adjustment, if it's a real issue, the projector assembly could probably be rotated to level the field stop (the aperture between the lamp and lens which creates the beam cut-off pattern); that might require some destructive re-work, though.

This is very true, however, there were no 818s there!
    Yeah, that was a bummer.

I really appreciate the compliments, a lot goes into each harness.
    That's obvious! We often spec and procure custom cables at work, and I can say it's a tough job. Our suppliers charge a lot and often make mistakes; it's a tough business.

I haven't installed mine yet, but I'd be very surprised if I don't have the same result that others have had... plug and play. I know it's a big expense to an 818 budget, but considering the customizability, service and quality Brian provides, it's a great value.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I can relate, since I spent a fair amount of time working on mine before going with iWire... just do it! What looks like more fun... doing this?

or installing this?

2015-03-20 18.11.59.jpg
    52 Wiring.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    i cant wait. should have mine in next week.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast