FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: iWire Turn Key 818 Harness for R and S Models

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 818wrx View Post
    i cant wait. should have mine in next week.
    Let me know when you get it!

Just heads up we're looking for more help to increase production and bring down wait times. Please take a look here for more info:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/IWire...15786161784988
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post
    Attachment 28422

Showed up to today for C.Plavan. Same size as the other panel but comes with 2 switches. Good find Chad!

Would something like that work with the factory immobilizer? I assume you'd still have to put the key in somewhere though.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post

Would something like that work with the factory immobilizer? I assume you'd still have to put the key in somewhere though.
    I have the key and ignition switch hidden under the dash. In fact I have not seen it in almost a year.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post

More than you can afford...Ferrariiiiii. ;D

What Chad said. We'll just tuck it away. Key only needs to be in there to to have the immobilizer antenna pick up the RFID signal.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    iWire Spec 818 Harness V2.0 is out now! We think this will make the install even simpler!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1784988&type=3

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    iWire Spec 818 Harness V2.0 is out now! We think this will make the install even simpler!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1784988&type=3
    Do we get an upgrade from V.01 ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. Why would you think we would get an upgrade?
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Lol. Why would you think we would get an upgrade?
    Because Brian loves us ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Because Brian loves us ?
    But we love Brian and want him to stay in business.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Work Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    brian im thinking of getting a 818 that is un finished from some one who got into a crash with his daly driver and now can not get in the 818 it has a 06 sti for a donor can you pm me on a price the first harness you did for me was great ps aready put together pile of 20 amp fuses thanks brian

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys crack me up! I'd be glad to upgrade it for you. Just send me $2200 as a gift and I'll build you one out of the kindness of my heart. ;P

If you REALLY wanted it, you could remove the whole harness and send it back. I could modify it to be like the 2.0 harnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by brian b 36 View Post
    brian im thinking of getting a 818 that is un finished from some one who got into a crash with his daly driver and now can not get in the 818 it has a 06 sti for a donor can you pm me on a price the first harness you did for me was great ps aready put together pile of 20 amp fuses thanks brian
    Haha! I should post up a fuse donation box so everyone can send their unused fuses to me. I'll hoard them and if people need fuses I'll send them out; but mostly just use them for 818 builds.

PM on the way!
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Brian,
    My Running 818 MT5 has an 04 FXT automatic ECU. The ECU has been reflashed to 04 FXT MT.

There was a CANBUS going from the ECU to TCM. Do you think there would be any useful information on that canbus out of the ECU?
    I want to use it for a dash display and data logging.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hey Brian,
    My Running 818 MT5 has an 04 FXT automatic ECU. The ECU has been reflashed to 04 FXT MT.

There was a CANBUS going from the ECU to TCM. Do you think there would be any useful information on that canbus out of the ECU?
    I want to use it for a dash display and data logging.
    Bob
    I doubt it. If you look at the I/O page of the pre CAN TCM modules you'll see the individual signals (likely the same items in digital format for CAN) that are for things like VSS, torque control, AT diagnosis, and MAF.
    Last edited by iWire; 06-23-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    More modularizing(is that a word?)!

iWire Spec Harness V2.5 now has the rear harness as an independent unit to further increase ease of install and servicing if it is ever needed.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice... where's the link to download the update for my harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I wish it were that easy! ;P
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    "You wouldn't download a car, would you?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    3D Printer, yes I would
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    3D Printer, yes I would
    Someday....
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    V3.0 Harness update! Fully modular now which should help speed up and ease install and any servicing of the body and it's speeding up our production process so wait times should begin to drop in the next month.

Combined Full Harness

Cabin Harness Section

ECU to Engine Section

Front Harness Section

Rear Harness Section
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice improvement! Should decrease install time and improve flexibility on your end for customizing to customers needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    40th harness and we're booked past 50. Turnaround times are dropping now that we are able to finish one every 3-4 days. People getting in line now should expect approximately 2 months instead of 3.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    We're always trying to improve our harnesses. Next step adhesive lined shrink tube to seal, add strain relief, and clamp the split sleeve. Plus we think it looks really cool!

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I just ask...since you have backlog and many builders are the DIYers (obviously)...can you please offer a package with connectors and directions so we can do it ourselves? $2200 is steep, but I understand the time involved and reason for cost. I would think there would be others interested in a package that just had connectors, module color guide and lengths. We could purchase our own wire and bundling, we could splice, solder, extend,shrink, bundle, etc. on our own. You could possibly sell a lot and do it quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    You could probably just number every connector on your layout, say connect 1 to 7, 8 to 2, 3 to 5, etc., then write distances on the board and just take an overhead picture for your guide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Can I just ask...since you have backlog and many builders are the DIYers (obviously)...can you please offer a package with connectors and directions so we can do it ourselves? $2200 is steep, but I understand the time involved and reason for cost. I would think there would be others interested in a package that just had connectors, module color guide and lengths. We could purchase our own wire and bundling, we could splice, solder, extend,shrink, bundle, etc. on our own. You could possibly sell a lot and do it quickly
    You could probably just number every connector on your layout, say connect 1 to 7, 8 to 2, 3 to 5, etc., then write distances on the board and just take an overhead picture for your guide.
    We have considered this but our biggest concern is providing good value for your dollar, which we feel that we have done well with the completed harness. The problem with value on a DIY product is that logistics of describing how build to build it would be pretty complex. Sure we can give you the parts, but step by step directions on how to piece it together would be a novel since there are just so many little things along the way. We would have to find a middle ground on that front. That is all to say that it is something we will continue to work on.

To help us out, how much would you pay for for a DIY style product?
    Last edited by iWire; 09-08-2015 at 07:13 PM.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I also would love a DIY kit. I just love to DIY, I made my own harness for my MR2 it worked out well. The 818 should be a bit more but seems manageable. Honestly I would love to just be able to be able to buy a list of connectors that are needed to run the 818 or if you could provide it for free that works too . I just want to know what all is needed to make the ECU happy I feel there are lots of connectors and relays I wont be needing but since I have never done a Subaru harness I don't know what is all actually needed to make the car run with ___put relay or connector here_ deleted. A simple list would do it for me. I trimmed and deleted connectors on my mr2 because I had a running car to test thing on. I don't have a wrx I can test things on in this case sadly.

However if all I had to do was source my own harness and I was able to buy a DIY kit from you that included everything minus the OEM connectors I would think a price in the three digits would be reasonable? I know the non OEM connectors can get expensive as can buying different color wiring unless you get it in bulk. I don't mind having to terminate my own ends or even cutting the length of my wire so long as you tell me how long it need to be. If you need a test subject let me know I have decent experience and would love to be a test subject if you need one. Or if I could just buy the list of "safe to remove" relays and connectors my wallet is ready!
    Last edited by redfogo; 09-18-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would pay 3 digits just for the instructions and connectors. I'm pretty good at wiring too but with someone with amazing knowledge like Brian; I would be willing to pay. I want to wire up a push to start and ignition switch but the immobilizer system just gets confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since this harness is a complete build, having a DIY option would open the door to so many more customers wanting to do this car. For most people the turn off is the harness, most of the work for you would be prepping everything for instructions initially, after that its just cut, print pack and ship. Ill be the Beta tester for you

Considering most of the money being spent is the labor for the harness, I would pay for connectors and instructions about $500-600. and $700 with the wires included.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys! Given what it costs for the parts we use, I don't think it would be less than $600 for a kit.

What about something closer to $900 that had the fuseboxes prewired?

No guarantees, but we will continue to look at it and see if we can provide something that has good value to you guys.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys! Given what it costs for the parts we use, I don't think it would be less than $600 for a kit.

No guarantees, but we will continue to look at it and see if we can provide something that has good value to you guys.
    I like the idea of a DIY option very much. Id' want to see exactly what that DIY option looks like. As it stands now, I am looking at working with one of my buddies and building out a harness from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm more details on the idea We are closer to my range of things that's for sure. Of course cheaper is always better, but I also know this has to be worth your time and I know materials aren't cheap whether I bought your kit or tried to make my own unless I reuse lots of wiring. Please don't loose site of the idea . You are peaking my interest!
    Last edited by redfogo; 09-18-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM about your from scratch harness

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything that would limit the cost and time for you, also helps us out, an already pre wired fuse box sounds great. Maybe a few options for people to decide on what they want. Keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would be in with that option.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the $900 option I would have jumped in much sooner. At the $2k option I had to sell more ZerodB parts. I agree that for many people like myself (mechanical guys, not hardcore EE's) the wiring is the most daunting part.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    With a diy option you really have a lot of work to do still also at the same time you will be limiting the quality of the build. From personal experience of dieting my own harness and then going with the iWire harness I can tell you that it is easily the best money spent on this project. Like mechie said mechanical guys find this part of the build very daunting. Even with a word by word breakdown of what to do exactly it is really hard to replicate what goes into building an iWire quality harness.

Unless you have a strong background or comfortable doing your own wiring you will spend countless hours trying to replicate a harness even if you are given the parts and a guide. Add on top of that the trying to troubleshoot any problems that may occur if you mess any of the wiring up. In hindsight after the build if unsuccessful, you would send the harness attempt in to be fix/finished. There are so many intricate details and tricks that go into building a great quality harness. You wouldn't have this experience to draw on if trying to diy a harness. It's just easier to buy a finished one.

I'm not trying to rant, I would of loved a diy harness when I was doing my own but it's not available. Also now that I have been working for Brian and I've helped build so many of the 818 harness. I feel confident in saying that it's really worth every penny. It's not something that you can just throw together and get right the first time. With the 2k harness your not only buying a completely built harness to your spec your also buying the experience/tech support that comes with these types of things. When a harness leaves iWire, your wiring will be the last thing on your list of possible areas to ever trouble shoot. Your car will simply run if you have everything mechanical working the first time you try. We really make something that is a huge daunting task and turn in into a plug and play mechanical job.

Post Thanks / Like
    DIY would be awesome. The majority of people building this car are the DIY type.

Post Thanks / Like
    DIY would be awesome. The majority of people building this car are the DIY type.
    I agree with this 100%, but there is a difference in mechanical DIY and electrical DIY. Wouldn't you agree that a majority of people who decided to build this car were interested the mechanical aspects of the build, not the nuisances of modern electrical systems? This is why at the heart of we do, we wan't to turn that electrical process into a mechanical one. Like Robert (Fireblade) mentioned, there is so much going on behind the scenes that comes with experience and knowledge. A DIY kit is just not going to be able to translate all of that, so when someone without an electrical background goes to build it the end result is just not going to replicate what we create here.

To Robert's point about tech support. This comes as a bonus to purchasing a harness from us. We will help as much as we possibly can and our customers can vouch for that. We would not be able to provide that support to the DIY customers because it would just be too daunting and not being a helpful resource to someone who has purchased from us not something we would feel right about doing.
    Last edited by iWire; 09-22-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    [email protected]

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast