Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sidepipe Heat Shields

Post Thanks / Like

Sidepipe Heat Shields

What's everyone's recommendations on sidepipe heat shield manufacturers? I need the heat shields because (1) WI law requires them for registration and (2) I don't want to have to take anyone to the ER because their jeans are melted to their leg (although, if you need to get there quickly, I know just the vehicle...).

CobraStuff.com seems to have good stuff, but I can't tell what the ceramic coated looks like compared to the chrome (it looks like the chrome is much shinier than the SS pipes?). Also, what exactly is the advantage of the ceramic? Finally, is there a manufacturer that makes some that are solid (i.e., without the slats)?
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Finish Line a vendor on this forum has ceramic ones (I like the look). The ceramic coating is supposed to dissipate heat much faster and it works. I have BBK ceramic headers and the cool down of the headers is much faster than the side pipes just inches apart. They say it reduces the heat in the engine bay up to about 50 degrees. I haven't put my infrared thermometer on it yet at different times. Haven't seen solid metal ones but there is a company that does fabric covers (yuck!!!).

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if the ceramic dissipates heat faster wouldn't it be "hotter" to the touch because it would more easily transfer heat from the exhaust pipe to your skin (like the difference between touching a frozen block of wood and a frozen chunk of metal)?
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My ceramics are coated inside as well as outside. So the heat inside the tubes doesn't transfer to the header tubes as much; just passes through more or less. There is some heat transfer just not as much as without it. The shields reflect the heat from the side pipes and don't absorb as much as a plain metal shield which would eventually get almost as hot as the side pipe. You can still get a cobra bit from the shields just maybe not as bad (2nd degree instead of 3rd degree). I'm supposed to go over to a friends house for a work party tomorrow so I will take the thermometer and do some side by side measurements to see the difference. He has an FFR roadster but I think his headers are not ceramic. I don't know anyone personally with the ceramic shields.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a set of stainless shields from Drummer Mike. I think he's a vendor on one of these forums. I have the stainless side pipes from FFR so I had the shields polished to a mirror finish and they look awesome. As far as heat goes you can put your hand on them when you shut the beast down and they feel slightly warm to the touch. Nobody will get burnt on these babies...just my $0.02.
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stroked 6t5 View Post
    I got a set of stainless shields from Drummer Mike. I think he's a vendor on one of these forums. I have the stainless side pipes from FFR so I had the shields polished to a mirror finish and they look awesome. As far as heat goes you can put your hand on them when you shut the beast down and they feel slightly warm to the touch. Nobody will get burnt on these babies...just my $0.02.
    Andy
    I don't have the shields so I should not predict their performance. I usually try to stay more fact based so believe what stroked 6t5 says. If the ceramic stuff is as good as they say it is, it should be even better. There was a guy who claimed he put his fingers on a set of BBK ceramic headers shortly after the engine was turned off and did not get burned. That was a little harder to believe but we will see when I take some temp measurements with mine. Thanks, WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    I don't have the shields so I should not predict their performance. I usually try to stay more fact based so believe what stroked 6t5 says. If the ceramic stuff is as good as they say it is, it should be even better. There was a guy who claimed he put his fingers on a set of BBK ceramic headers shortly after the engine was turned off and did not get burned. That was a little harder to believe but we will see when I take some temp measurements with mine. Thanks, WEK.
    I look forward to the results.
    Build Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the Finish Line shields. I waited to put them on thinking I could avoid them (this was before paint). Don't wait. I burned my leg 5 times and have a 3" scar on the back of my left calf (the last burn immediately blistered). The Finish Line look really good and are cool to the touch when the pipes are hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, my shields are ceramic coated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of trying the exhaust sleeves by http://ptpturboblankets.com/. They are a sponsor on this forum. I like the look of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hrosenthal View Post
    I'm thinking of trying the exhaust sleeves by http://ptpturboblankets.com/. They are a sponsor on this forum. I like the look of them.
    I should have mine in a few days; will post pics.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heat shields that I purchased uncoated as I wanted the shade to match my side pipes. They have spacers that put them about 1/4" from the side pipe and they work great. I can drive for any length of time, turn off the engine, get out of the car and touch them with my hand almost immediately. I have the tonau cover held on by elastic straps that I wrap around the pipes when parked, they do not melt!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I also got mine from Finish Line Accessories and am happy with them. They are the ceramic coated and look very nice. Also, easy to install. I have not yet driven them in warm weather, but with outside temp at 65 and engine temp at about 180 after 30 minutes of driving I checked mine and they were just warm to the touch. Probably will heat a bit with warmer outside and engine temps, but from comments above I don't expect much heat at all.
    Dan

Mark IV. Pick up April 1, 2011. Complete Kit, 3 link, 3.31 rear, 347 Stroker with Powerjection III EFI, Tremec TKO600. Build completed March 1, 2014. See build info at : http://www.roadster.mightypirates.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    There was a guy who claimed he put his fingers on a set of BBK ceramic headers shortly after the engine was turned off and did not get burned. That was a little harder to believe but we will see when I take some temp measurements with mine. Thanks, WEK.
    Uh... No. Unless shortly is defined as 20-30 minutes (or more). Or your buddy has leather for skin. The FFR supplied BBK ceramic headers do great. But they are hot enough for very serious burns for some time after the engine is turned off. I've pointed at them with an infrared thermometer where they come out of the head right after shut down to see if my exhaust temps were about the same. I don't remember the exact readings, but they were dangerously hot. Similar temp to the right angle of the side pipes where they come out of the body. That area for me is the most dangerous. The pipes back by the doors are hot (and I have a scar to prove it) but nothing like closer to the engine. I'm super careful with my passengers and guests, and (so far) I'm the only one to get bit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hrosenthal View Post
    PTP is run by some buddies of mine. As I mentioned in another thread, I had burned my legs so many times on my MK III that I convinced them to come up with a product for it... Here's a brochure for the sleeves they came up with, FYI. They sell a full size sleeve and one that just covers the resonator (“Mini”). I like what they came up with. Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions, though, and I'll pass it on. Thanks, Patrick

Cobra Exhaust Sleeve Brochure.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy - Do you or does anyone have any contact information for Drummer Mike?
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took a cheap new black welding blanket and sewed up some "sleeves" which slip easily over the side pipes (similar to those shown in the post above). I made one for each side, and they roll up and store easily down beside the seat. You don't really notice them in there when stored, and no burns yet for my wife!

I understand you'll still have to have the heat shields for registration, but as everyone has noted the real issue is people getting out of the car while they're still hot. You could easily make them large enough to slip over a side-pipe with heat shields mounted, and they work really well.

Good luck!
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!