Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Accelerator Pedal Details

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Accelerator Pedal Details

I'd like to get some feedback on the complete kit accelerator pedal that FFR has #14481. I think it will fit the MKIII but I don't like the pedal pad. Has anyone used it go karting or driving the finished roadster and how do you like it? I might be able to find a better match for the pedal pad with my Wilwood brake and clutch later but right now I'm just evaluating the improvement it would make in the function as the donor is not really designed for this application. It's one of the few donor items I still have on the car. I guess it has to go! Any help and advice would be appreciated. There's no substitute for using the product.

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill,
    Either option will be a tremendous improvement over the donor setup which in my opinion is laughable. I've used the FFR pedal on one car, a complete kit, and have no complaints. The ratio feels much like Russ Thompson's pedal. I remember early on that a few builders had an issue with the spot weld breaking at it's pivot point leaving them stranded. I have used Russ Thompson's pedal on 2 others and although it's a bit more costly it's worth every penny.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=283

The ratio is perfect and it can be located to suit any driver's preference. Personally I'd pony up the extra fifty bucks for Russ' version. No matter which one you decide on be sure to add a pedal stop so that the pedal travel does not exceed the throttle body travel. If you don't it'll pop the cable off and you will be stuck at idle---if that sounds like the voice of experience speaking...it is

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at the FFR pedal and see that it mounts w/ two bolts. For that reason alone I'd go w/ the RT pedal in Jeff's link. It clamps to the square tube so you can move it as needed. I think you will find that this is invaluable in the early stages of getting your car set up so it fits you.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    x3 for Russ Thompson pedal. excellent!
    I also bent it a little to the right (3/8" toward the engine) to provide additional brake room. On a couple occasions I hit the brake and caught the edge of the throttle, before this mod (not dangerous on these occasions, as the clutch was also pushed in, but it did rev and scare the bejezus out of me!)

I think you can order a pre-bent one from Russ, I didn't know that when I ordered.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Russ' pedal, but replaced the pad with one that I fabricated to look more like an original. His arm and mounting were worth it, alone, as they are great pieces.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    x5 on RT's pedal system ... works great and seems to have more adjustment capability since you can move it "up or down" the 3/4 in square tube.

I am going to use it with a mechanical linkage to the EZE EFI Throttle Body.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a overwhelming vote for RT! But I have a problem. I checked under the dash to find that the area where there should be a 3/4 x 3/4 inch tube there is a 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch tube. Actually, it's two 3/4 tubes: one on top of the other. It is the result of my installation of a Wilwood brake/clutch system. The bracket supporting that system sits right on top of the FFR 3/4 tube. So I may give Russ a call anyway to see if he has a different mounting bracket. I may be stuck with the FFR version but it has the better geometry according to you guys so that can't be a bad thing. The donor which I have adjusted and moved more than once is working but the modulation is tricky and sometimes it looks and sounds like I am launching at the beginning of the quarter mile!!! Thanks a bunch,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046