BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternator Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Alternator Wiring

I am running a carb engine and my alternator is set up for one positive wire. The harness provides 2 clips for the alternator hookup.

a. Clip 1 has two wires
    i. Brown Alternator, which leads to the ACC post on the ignition switch
    ii. Red Battery coming from the solenoid post connected to the Positive Battery Cable
    b. Clip 2 has two red wires which are both coming from the solenoid post connected to the Positive Battery Cable

Can I cut one of the red wires from the 2nd clip of the alternator harness. connect that to the alternator and discard the 1st clip and the remaining wire on the 2nd clip?

Post Thanks / Like
    if you open up the corrugated covering about 8" back or further, you'll see only one brown wire and one heavy red wire.. a little closer to the plug they clamp in a splice to double the red, aand ads a second wire ... Dont know how smart this was, but I carefully ground off the splice, pulled off the spare wires so i only had one red wire to the alternator..and used the other wire to connect my Tach to the neg. post on the coil....in the harness wiring booklet they say to disregard the harness plug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fordboy View Post
    if you open up the corrugated covering about 8" back or further, you'll see only one brown wire and one heavy red wire.. a little closer to the plug they clamp in a splice to double the red, aand ads a second wire ... Dont know how smart this was, but I carefully ground off the splice, pulled off the spare wires so i only had one red wire to the alternator..and used the other wire to connect my Tach to the neg. post on the coil....in the harness wiring booklet they say to disregard the harness plug.
    Thanks for pointing out the harness wiring booklet instructions. I've been so caught up in reading the schematic, I completely forgot about the rest of the book.
    I will take a look at this tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was me, I would get rid of the one wire alternator, and get a nice 3g Ford alternator.