Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fan Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Fan Wiring

I'm looking at the instructions for fan wiring and my fuse panel doesn't seem to match the photo on page 250 - MK4 Manual.
    the photo shows 2 black wires coming out of the relay. I only have one wire coming out of that position and it's green, not black.
    Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    For what its worth I didnt wire per the manual. I wired in a manual over-ride switch in parallel with a 2 wire thermo swtich per the Jeff Kleiner instructions. In this case, the green wire you are referring to gets grounded

Post Thanks / Like
    As I look more into this, I see that the Ron Francis manual shows a photo that matches that FFR manual, but not my actual panel.

However, the Ron Francis instructions for wiring the thermostat switch doesn't mention cutting and splicing wires as in the FFR manual.

At this point, I am guessing that Ron Francis redesigned this portion of the harness and the cutting and splicing is no longer necessary, with the exception of bypassing the dash switch together, which would not be needed in this case.

I will call Ron Francis tomorrow to confirm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Feen View Post
    For what its worth I didn't wire per the manual. I wired in a manual over-ride switch in parallel with a 2 wire thermo swtich per the Jeff Kleiner instructions. In this case, the green wire you are referring to gets grounded
    Why would you need an override switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    let me know when you get an answer to this...I was just about to pose the same question...different fuse box than in the pictures. so...how do we wire it....?
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    let me know when you get an answer to this...I was just about to pose the same question...different fuse box than in the pictures. so...how do we wire it....?
    I confirmed both with Ron Francis and FFR that my assumption was correct.

There is no need to splice the wires at the fuse panel anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    so the thermo sensor wire connects to????
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hrosenthal View Post
    Why would you need an override switch?
    Technically, not required. Many, myself included, like the option to switch on the fan manually for certain situations like slow driving in a cruise or parade, for testing purposes, or maybe in case the sensor should fail. I keep my eye on the temp gauge along with the other gauges. If the temp should climb beyond its normal spot and the fan doesn't kick on for whatever reason, I can manually turn it on.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    so the thermo sensor wire connects to????

The thermo sensor wire connects to the top of the thermo sensor. There is just no need for splicing wires anymore, the harness has been redesigned so that it's no longer necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are only wiring in a toggle switch the sensor wire needs to be grounded.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wired mine to run anytime the key is in the on position. In Texas it is needed almost all the time anyway. I rather not burn up an engine because I did not turn on a fan or the thermostatic switch failed. Summers in the hundreds kill engines quickly. And we are bumping the 90s already here this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the manual switch even though it isn't really needed. The problem I have is that the temp gauge in all normal cars is heavily damped. So we have learned we don't need to watch it much because it never moves. Long ago the manufacturers got tired of dealing w/ customer complaints so they made the temp gauge so it goes to normal and just sits there. It may move upward about the same time the pressure cap starts letting off steam. But in the FFR the gauge really reads and displays the temp. So I see it going up, fan comes on, it drops, fan goes off. At least a 10, maybe a 15 degree swing. There are times that I would like to be a little pre-emptive, so I flip the switch.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    I have a MK4, coyote and the RF harness. I chose to run the fan from the computer so I could set the on/off temps where ever I wanted them. I also grounded the green fan wire on the harness and added a switch and used that circuit to power the twin pusher fans from **********.
    Regards,
    Andy