Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor opions - input welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Donor opions - input welcome

Hi folks,
    I'm most interested in the 818s... and...as it turns out, I own a 2004 WRX with a stage 2 tune (Cobb Accessport with turbo-back exhaust).

it has 111k mi and in decent condition

The obvious thing to do would be to sell the WRX and buy a donor... but I've considered keeping it and using mine as the donor.

Thoughts? Considerations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have something else to drive?
    I would not use a good body - running car as a donor.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    It is kind of a shame to tear apart a perfectly good car. But if you already have it... Body panels and other parts would theoretically all be straight/good and net you some decent coin! (in addition to having you donor parts)
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    It is kind of a shame to tear apart a perfectly good car. But if you already have it... Body panels and other parts would theoretically all be straight/good and net you some decent coin! (in addition to having you donor parts)
    Sell and buy a donor. A donor can be had for 3G, your car is worth far more. With what you could sell your car for you, could buy a donor and pay for nearly half the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all... good input!!

I got a newer car so the subie is in "transition".

If I had my druthers (and I guess I might), I'd like to get a pre-disassembled 06-07 with lower miles (<60k).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdg View Post
    If I had my druthers (and I guess I might), I'd like to get a pre-disassembled 06-07 with lower miles (<60k).
    I went a similar route , no donor, I found someone on CL that was parting out, he did all the disassembly and everything except engine and transmission of $800 and then bought a JDM engine and transmission (I wanted to be under 2.0 liters) and have less than $5K into all donor parts. There seem to be a lot of Subaru's here in the North West.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, call Wayne at Very Cool Parts for a disassembled donor. He knows EVERYTHING about 818s and then some. Click the Vendor tab at the top.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    There must be a million ways to obtain donor parts... It really comes down to what you want. You could sell a whole bunch of parts off your car, I've sold $1,943.74 of parts off my $1850 Copart roll over donor. The only good body panel on the whole car was the left rear door. I would guess that you could double that from a clean donor. However it takes time and effort. Both disassembly and the individual sales of parts take time and energy.

There is no right answer... If it were me, assuming that your car is worth around $6-7K and that maint is up to date (relatively fresh timing belt, water pump, good brakes etc...) I'd use it as a donor and sell off the parts. There is no reason that you couldn't get $3500-$4000 from parts sell off.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14