Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Gauging Interest: AJW Performance Custom Exhaust for the 818

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have the measurements of the bottom of the pipe to the end of the flat area on the tail, as my measurements (w/o cutting) say that this is about 1-1/4" from bottom of pipe to end of flat area, which biases the pipe towards the bottom of the flat area.

Anyone have a picture that has made the cut for the exhaust ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't cut mine out yet. Do you have aftermarket mounts though? Some non factory mounts might sit a little lower.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Anyone have the measurements of the bottom of the pipe to the end of the flat area on the tail, as my measurements (w/o cutting) say that this is about 1-1/4" from bottom of pipe to end of flat area, which biases the pipe towards the bottom of the flat area.

Anyone have a picture that has made the cut for the exhaust ?
    So are you saying that the exhaust sags at the end? Do you have any photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Still have over 10 of these left!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW Performance View Post
    So are you saying that the exhaust sags at the end? Do you have any photos?
    It does not sag as you can see from the photo, its just not at the right height, as it is not centered in the rear vertically. I have the stock engine and transmission mounts, so not sure what you had when you put this together, as Mechie3 points out it may be the difference in engine/trans mounts. So what did you all use ?

WP_20150225_18_23_53_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is where it would approximately come out as you can see its low

WP_20150509_11_31_32_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Still have a few of these left!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump, still have some of these here in stock. Shipping same day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you corrected the fact it comes out low per FFRSpec72 post, or are these still the same?
    What did you end up doing to correct that problem?
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Have you corrected the fact it comes out low per FFRSpec72 post, or are these still the same?
    What did you end up doing to correct that problem?
    We are working with him now to figure out what is going on with this one exhaust. I believe that it may have just been bent wrong, and if that is the case we will be replacing his exhaust free of charge to him.I fully believe this to be an isolated incident, and if we receive his exhaust back we will be taking extensive measurements to check the remaining exhausts from batch 1.

Another possibility could have been that the tab was welded incorrectly or in the wrong position. This could cause the exhaust to sag. Once we figure it out I will update everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, it looks like the exhaust is ~2.5" too low, here is a picture of the rear of the car, the blue represents where the center of the rear flat area is (as the back panel flat area is 8.5" and thus 2.75" from the bottom, then 3" for exhaust and then another 2.75" to the top of the flat area), note that 2.5 is written but it's really 2.75" (I forgot the 7).

WP_20150527_18_20_22_Pro.jpg

The rear bumper is snug with the bottom 1x1" tube of the transaxle support

WP_20150527_18_20_47_Pro.jpg

I found the center of the bumper flat area on the back side and marked it and measured it from the TOP of the 1x1 transaxle support to give a reference point

WP_20150527_18_43_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150527_18_47_13_Pro.jpg

I mounted the exhaust and measured from the bottom of the exhaust to the TOP if the transaxle 1x1 (in the picture below I was using a magnetic level attached to the bottom of the transaxle 1x1 so subtract 1" from the reading)

WP_20150527_19_10_12_Pro.jpg

And you can see that the that the bottom of the exhaust is about 10-5/8 and not at the 13-1/8 which would put it in the center area, so as mounted the pipe is ~2.5" off center
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, it looks like the exhaust is ~2.5" too low, here is a picture of the rear of the car, the blue represents where the center of the rear flat area is (as the back panel flat area is 8.5" and thus 2.75" from the bottom, then 3" for exhaust and then another 2.75" to the top of the flat area), note that 2.5 is written but it's really 2.75" (I forgot the 7).

WP_20150527_18_20_22_Pro.jpg

The rear bumper is snug with the bottom 1x1" tube of the transaxle support

WP_20150527_18_20_47_Pro.jpg

I found the center of the bumper flat area on the back side and marked it and measured it from the TOP of the 1x1 transaxle support to give a reference point

WP_20150527_18_43_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150527_18_47_13_Pro.jpg

I mounted the exhaust and measured from the bottom of the exhaust to the TOP if the transaxle 1x1 (in the picture below I was using a magnetic level attached to the bottom of the transaxle 1x1 so subtract 1" from the reading)

WP_20150527_19_10_12_Pro.jpg

And you can see that the that the bottom of the exhaust is about 10-5/8 and not at the 13-1/8 which would put it in the center area, so as mounted the pipe is ~2.5" off center
    Hey Tony, we will send you a label so we can get the exhaust back and determine what is wrong with it. I will move this conversation to PM with you.

If there are any issues we will get them corrected, however we have sold a few of these with no complaints, so I believe this is an isolated incident.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony, we will send you a label so we can get the exhaust back and determine what is wrong with it. I will move this conversation to PM with you.

If there are any issues we will get them corrected, however we have sold a few of these with no complaints, so I believe this is an isolated incident.
    Thanks for the support, I also believe that this is an isolated issue.

I would love to hear from others what their measurements are from the top of the rear transaxle 1x1 tube to the bottom of the exhaust
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another picture of an AJW exhaust mounted that is not centered, seems his is even lower than mine http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...pics-continued
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I put mine on the car, but without the rear bumper in place. I didn't take measurements to see where it comes out. Not sure when I can, but I'll try to get around to it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I put mine on the car, but without the rear bumper in place. I didn't take measurements to see where it comes out. Not sure when I can, but I'll try to get around to it.
    Can you get a measurement from the top of most rear transmission support 1x1 to the bottom of the exhaust as that will tell where it will land as far as the rear panel is concerned
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have received my exhaust at the end of last week, any update on what is going on with the height ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent give me a phone call or email when you get a chance thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of the system on one of our old 818's, it is centered horizontally but slightly lower vertically where it exits. Basically depends on preference on what the customer likes, after playing around with different positions we enjoyed this location the most. The goal of this system was to create a 3 inch stainless bellmouth exhaust with optimal flow at a fair price that can bolt right up to a 818. We wanted it to be as modular as possible; meaning you can (without welding) slide on a cat, a muffler, a dual exhaust tip, or even re-route the exit (make it lower, higher, further to the left or right, etc). I believe this goal was accomplished.

All it takes to add a component is a cut, and you can simply clamp your modification on. We suggest all Vibrant branded items for this purpose, as they are great quality and affordable. So as far as where it exits being a problem, it is simply on where you prefer to to exit, and for us the current position seemed the best. Any higher it seemed to clash with the tail lights/ other body lines, and lower and it seemed awkward, but there are tons of ways you can make this system exit based on your preference...

So that being said in our opinion there are no issues to note with the system, 90% of the dozens out there are on vehicles and people seem to be happy with them, and I personally love how they look, single tip or dual tip.
    If you do not plan to take advantage of the "modular theme" of this system, or simply do not like where it exits then this system may or may not be for you. By this I mean if you are looking to have it come out bottom right under the bumper, maybe a custom exhaust would be more economical.

Any more questions let us know I would be happy to help, hope everyone has a good weekend and happy building!

Thanks
    Andrew
    Last edited by AJW Performance; 06-12-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took off my rear bumper today and installed the exhaust again. I have a bunch of measurements, mostly from the top of the trans to the centerline of the exhaust. I can post pics tomorrow.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    All right...let's see if I can make sense of these photos I took.

Inside of car with bumper installed, ruler resting on top of trans and a yard stick resting on bumper level to ground. 12.5" from trans to yardstick.

Moved to outside of car, placed the 12.5" mark up against the ruler:

Bottom crease of bumper inset is right at the 1" mark:

Top crease of bumper inset is at the 9.5" mark:

That gives a total span of 8.5", so half of that is 4.25". Adding this 4.25" to the 1" offset from the top of the trans to the start of the crease, the centerline of the rear bumper crease is 5.25" from the top of the transmission.

I forgot to take a photo of the last part (can do it tonight) but I think the centerline of my exhaust was around 4.25" off the trans meaning it was 1" below center of the rear bumper. I'll have to confirm tonight. I still have the exhaust on.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Took a shot of the trans to exhaust last night. Switched to a wooden yardstick for better readability in the dark.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of the system on one of our old 818's, it is centered horizontally but slightly lower vertically where it exits. Basically depends on preference on what the customer likes, after playing around with different positions we enjoyed this location the most. The goal of this system was to create a 3 inch stainless bellmouth exhaust with optimal flow at a fair price that can bolt right up to a 818. We wanted it to be as modular as possible; meaning you can (without welding) slide on a cat, a muffler, a dual exhaust tip, or even re-route the exit (make it lower, higher, further to the left or right, etc). I believe this goal was accomplished.

All it takes to add a component is a cut, and you can simply clamp your modification on. We suggest all Vibrant branded items for this purpose, as they are great quality and affordable. So as far as where it exits being a problem, it is simply on where you prefer to to exit, and for us the current position seemed the best. Any higher it seemed to clash with the tail lights/ other body lines, and lower and it seemed awkward, but there are tons of ways you can make this system exit based on your preference...

So that being said in our opinion there are no issues to note with the system, 90% of the dozens out there are on vehicles and people seem to be happy with them, and I personally love how they look, single tip or dual tip.
    If you do not plan to take advantage of the "modular theme" of this system, or simply do not like where it exits then this system may or may not be for you. By this I mean if you are looking to have it come out bottom right under the bumper, maybe a custom exhaust would be more economical.

Any more questions let us know I would be happy to help, hope everyone has a good weekend and happy building!

Thanks
    Andrew
    So both Mechie3 and my exhaust (and at least one other) measure lower than what your picture shows with the dual exhaust tip. I understand that this is a kit car and everything depends on the build, but I would think that these should all be close since the engine is mounted the same and you based your height off the transmission. At this point I'm not sure what to do, I could modify the exhaust exit in center (vertically), accept as is and where it sits today, or go with a different exhaust. Based upon your post I assume you are saying that the exhaust is what it is and that is designed as a base staring point and can be modified to fit the various builds ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    So both Mechie3 and my exhaust (and at least one other) measure lower than what your picture shows with the dual exhaust tip. I understand that this is a kit car and everything depends on the build, but I would think that these should all be close since the engine is mounted the same and you based your height off the transmission. At this point I'm not sure what to do, I could modify the exhaust exit in center (vertically), accept as is and where it sits today, or go with a different exhaust. Based upon your post I assume you are saying that the exhaust is what it is and that is designed as a base staring point and can be modified to fit the various builds ?
    That is correct, it is a starting point. If you have any other questions just give us a call or an e-mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still have some of these available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump, still have a few of these left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump, still have these in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another order went out yesterday! We still have some of these left in stock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump!, I still have 5 exhausts left. Come and get them while they're still here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see some installed shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, someone has built a designed mesh screen surrounding the single tip between the turn signals, designed for this custom exhaust.

Who built that mesh? I can't find the thread with the picture and I can't find any picture I would have kept on my computer.
    I checked on VRaptor's website and there is no mention.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Vraptor made a one off for ffrspec72
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see some pictures of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the exhaust as made my AJW Performance with the exhaust louvers by VRaptor made for the AJW exhaust. While it's not centered vertically it still looks great with the VRaptor louvers

WP_20151230_15_13_52_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567