Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gas cap missing

Post Thanks / Like

Gas cap missing

I recently purchased a FFR roadster. The plastic gas cap under the LeMans cap is missing.
    Can anyone tell me what car it is from so I can buy a replacement?
    JMS

Post Thanks / Like
    The one that came with my Mk4 kit is at home, so I can't tell you what it is at this moment. If no one answers before tonight, I can get the info for you. But having said that, I don't know that we can give a definitive answer. There are two different type of LeMans caps that have been used. One with a hose connection on the bottom and the cap fits into the LeMans cap directly. On early Mk3's and before as I recall, the filler tube (new, donor, etc.) came through the LeMans cap and the gas cap fit on that. So I don't know that one size fits all.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    Any info would be appreciated even if I need to try more than one cap design.
    The car is a 2012 complete kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    My cap is labeled as Permacap Ii, apparently made and marketed by Kleen Wheels in Florida. Just do a search for "PermaCap." The caps are advertised to fit many modern cars and remain in place, rather than having to remove the cap each time you add gasoline. That said, you may be able to find various replacement caps at your local auto parts store. The idea behind the Permacap is that it has a spring-loaded flap the opens when you stick the nozzle in and then closes when the nozzle is withdrawn.

Interesting. I always thought the Permacap was part of the entire assembly under the LeMans cap. Didnt know it could be removed. Learn something new every day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Blue MK3.
    The latest build manual does show a separate cap but it is removable.
    I like your cap better.
    JMS

Post Thanks / Like
    The cap I got with my 2013 Complete kit was a Stant #10832 - Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks dforthof that looks like it will fit.
    JMS

Post Thanks / Like
    Do we need one? The seal on the LeMans cap doesn't suffice if the cap-to-filler neck is sealed? Just curious.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you just purchased the kit I'd call FFR and have them send you one. It should of come with the kit.

Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    DaleG poses an interesting question. With the LeMans cap tight against the rubber seal, is the inside cap needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some states will still require the gas cap even when using the LeMans Cap.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Stant 10832 included with my Mk4 kit as well. I'm not using it. Anywhere close where it would make sense to ship it? I'm in MI.

To the other question about whether a cap is really needed, maybe technically not. The LeMans cap does seem to seal pretty well. Aside from state requirements, I wouldn't want to do anything that might risk gas odor in the garage. So I'm happy to have the cap underneath the LeMans cover. To take it one step further, most inside car shows require a locking gas cap. So something else to consider if that's in the cards.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-24-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb, as always, you provide thoughtful and reasonable comments. Here in NC, 1965 (as mine is registered) cars are not subject to safety and emissions tests, so I could legally dispense with the inner cap. No one would ever know. However, you make a good point about gasoline vapors coming out. I might run a little experiment and leave the inner cap off one night and see if it makes a difference in odor. The trap-door PermaCap on my car does not need to be removed to tank up, but can be a PITA sometimes to insert the nozzle so that the pump doesn't trip off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I defer to edwardb's logic. Redundant cap for me.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The one that came with my Mk4 kit is at home, so I can't tell you what it is at this moment. If no one answers before tonight, I can get the info for you. But having said that, I don't know that we can give a definitive answer. There are two different type of LeMans caps that have been used. One with a hose connection on the bottom and the cap fits into the LeMans cap directly. On early Mk3's and before as I recall, the filler tube (new, donor, etc.) came through the LeMans cap and the gas cap fit on that. So I don't know that one size fits all.

Yes, the "earlier" ones took the Mustang donor caps, so anything from '88 to '93 Mustang would certainly fit. I believe a Viper cap is the same and has an indentation in the middle of the cap so it clears the bolt on the under side of the LeMans cap. Search a bit on ffcars, and you should be able to find that one.
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with not running the plastic cap is there is a drain hole in the bottom of the cap near where the filler hole is, so it won't be totally sealed. Also in the unfortunate event that the rubber side of the car doesn't stay down, then gas would leak out and could add to the problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your responses. I think I have a cap coming.

The reason I thought I might need one is because I am getting a faint gas fume smell in my enclosed garage.
    There is no odor at all noticeable even with the garage door open.

I noticed in the FFR manual that a second cap is shown. This is why I figured it might be my solution.
    We will see if this fixes it or it is something else.

I have only had the car for 2 weeks but it is obvious it is the source of the smell. I have done a thorough inspection
    for any leaks and even checked the carb. bores for drain down after running. It is all tight.
    I will post my findings in a week.

JMS

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed the inner cap on my car this morning, then read Tom's comment. Put the cap back on. Oh well, it was an idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When you find the model and year cap, I would suggest getting one of these. You do not need to remove the cap to fill the tank.
    Bill3422

MK4 - 302/347 Stroker - AFR Heads - 400 Hp

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. all.
    I can say that by installing the plastic cap under the Lemans cap eliminates any gas fumes.
    JMS