Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Final Engine Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Final Engine Wiring

I want to confirm that I've got all my engine wiring properly completed for my carb engine.
    It seems obvious, but I don't want an unpleasant surprise when I hookup the battery terminals.
    If anyone can confirm this is correct, I'd appreciate it.

1. Positive battery post to solenoid
    2. 3 red "Starter Solenoid" wires to same post on solenoid
    3. Red 10ga "Alternator" wire to Alternator (one wire alternator) Positive Post.
    4. "Sending Unit Electric Choke" to Choke Positive Post.
    5. "Coil" wire to Coil Positive Post.
    6. "Fan Thermo Switch" to Thermo Sensor (will wire manual switch later)
    7. Battery & Engine grounded to frame.
    8. Ignition wiring as described in wiring manual

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Wires I don't see listed: Oil pressure sender, water temp sender, oil temp sender (if used), tach, blue starter wire. I think that's the list.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Wires I don't see listed: Oil pressure sender, water temp sender, oil temp sender (if used), tach, blue starter wire. I think that's the list.
    Aside from the starter wire, that's all information only, right? I'm just trying to get the engine started for now.

It looks like I missed the blue starter wire though - that would be the blue wire wrapped with the solenoid wires, right? As opposed to the blue EFI crank, which I am assuming I don't need.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hrosenthal View Post
    Aside from the starter wire, that's all information only, right? I'm just trying to get the engine started for now.

It looks like I missed the blue starter wire though - that would be the blue wire wrapped with the solenoid wires, right? As opposed to the blue EFI crank, which I am assuming I don't need.

Thanks.
    Yes, the blue wire from the ignition switch start circuit. It energizes the starter solenoid. If you're going to start from the ignition switch (vs. hot wiring) you're going to need that wire. You're right, technically don't need the other wires for starting. I personally want instrumentation at start-up, but for a quick run the temp gauge(s) aren't necessary I guess. But I wouldn't start it without the oil pressure gauge running. That's pretty much where my eyes are glued on first start. Positive immediate oil pressure is critical and the pressure levels are one of the main indicators of engine health. Good luck with your start!
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-28-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.