FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK IV side pipe's clearance to body

Discovery Bay CA, and the car is in the hangar in Stockton CA
    Post Thanks / Like

MK IV side pipe's clearance to body

The body has been painted, installed and all fitted. The pipes are on. Driver's side clearance to the side bracket attach point is plenty. Passenger side clearance is about 1/8" I am concerned that the body will be impacted by the bracket if the engine is revved up. The only fixes I can think of is to remove the exhaust manifold and have the tubes bent out, or to install a 4 port spacer and additional gasket where the manifold meets the pipes. Also the brackets that attach the side pipes to the body as you know, have two attach points. One is with a rubber mount, and the inboard is a bolt that attaches to a frame member. I thought I remember reading that if the attach points are all used, then exhaust system had no flex and the exhaust manifold can crack. Please advise, do I leave the most inner bolt off of the attachment to the frame?

The paint job is just too perfect to be messed up by the pipe hitting it!photo (17).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That is very close. You could try rocking the engine in the mounts but I don't think that will get it and you'll probably have to resort to spacers. The two bolts that are often referred to are the ones for the tab on the sidepipes themselves, not the hanger's attachment to the chassis. Use only one of the two in the tab and just make it snug.

Jeff