FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: high beam switch

Post Thanks / Like

high beam switch

is the high beam switch just a on-off switch?
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I posted this on the other forum, but thought I'd add it here, too!

Simple toggle for me to trip the hi relay. On Richard Oben's advice, I ran the "big" light power (both low and high beam) through relays and let the off/on and lo/hi switches handle the little power to toggle the relays.

So, two toggles. One turns the lights on and off. The other sends power either to low beam or high beam.

The lo/hi switch is right by my right hand when it is on the steering wheel. Really easy to flick up and down.
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    is the high beam switch just a on-off switch?
    No, it is not. An On-Off switch is a single pole, single throw - SPST. It has two poles, or two connections for wires. Power comes to one pole, and then when the switch is closed, it goes out the other single pole.

The headlight switch is a single throw double pole - STDP. It has 3 poles, or three connections for wires. Power comes in to one pole. The single throw of the toggle will select one of the other two poles for the power to go out to.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to elaborate on Bob's (correct) response these are typically referred to as an ON/ON switch.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Just to elaborate on Bob's (correct) response these are typically referred to as an ON/ON switch.

Jeff
    And this is the way you hook it up with the Ron harness in the full kit?
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll have to look at the schematic. The switch can be used to power the lights directly, which means a Positive switching. Or it can be used to actuate a relay, which can be positive or negative switching.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just like the Ron Francis manual shows. Connect the light blue headlight dimmer switch feed wire in the dash harness to the center pole of the included STDP ON/ON switch. Connect the red low beam wire to one of the outside poles and the brown high beam wire to the other. It doesn't matter which; when you install the switch you'll orient it so that up=high beam. I can't recall if RF already tapped in a wire for the high beam indicator or not (I think they did). If not you simply add a pigtail from the brown high beam feed. Whether yoi installed it or Francis did you'll join this additional wire to one side of the blue indicator light and ground the other side. That's it!

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Just like the Ron Francis manual shows. Connect the light blue headlight dimmer switch feed wire in the dash harness to the center pole of the included STDP ON/ON switch. Connect the red low beam wire to one of the outside poles and the brown high beam wire to the other. It doesn't matter which; when you install the switch you'll orient it so that up=high beam. I can't recall if RF already tapped in a wire for the high beam indicator or not (I think they did). If not you simply add a pigtail from the brown high beam feed. Whether yoi installed it or Francis did you'll join this additional wire to one side of the blue indicator light and ground the other side. That's it!

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Ok...I don't see a wire marked "brown high beam feed" I have a "brown switch feed wire" and a brown wire that is not marked. Both have two brown wires going into one connector. I think one is for the high beams and the other for the fan switch....how can I tell which is which?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pull out the multi-meter, set it on continuity, and figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    um...yeah.... don't got one Pete, but might need to get one or when I get my battery just see which one works.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put a multi-meter on the "must have tools to build a car" list. You can get a decent one for under $50: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-m...4&blockType=G4