Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 mods required for Ontario registration

Post Thanks / Like

818 mods required for Ontario registration

Hi Guys,
    New member here getting ready to do my first build (818s)! I'm looking for a definitive list of modifications/extras that are necessary for registration in Ontario.

At the moment I presume, at minimum, it needs wipers. Is that correct?
    Does it need a third break light?

Thanks much for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I am not sure about the 818 itself, but for the roadster there was really nothing needed. I am interested in learning more about this question too, on Easter we were down in wareham and saw the 818, it is very sharp.

Ji

Post Thanks / Like
    Does your roadster have a 3rd brake light? That's my biggest concern right now.

PS I see that you're located on Barrhaven. I'm located in Manotick

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Metcalfe here.

Haven't passed the main hurdle (boss at home), but definitely seriously looking at the 818s. Might be able to apprentice for someone who is already on track to build one, I'm not completely useless with a wrench.

Satmarshall, if you get going with the 818s, love to check it out and maybe help from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like
    That be great. I'm suppose to take delivery here in May. I picked up a donor car last November but haven't touched it besides making sure it ran ok. The previous owner boosted it to 365hp so the 818s should fly "once I'm done". I put that in quotes because I have no real deadline pressures. This is my first build so I plan to take my time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, please keep me in the loop. My wife is currently driving my donor, a 2007 NA impreza. I'm thinking of starting there and sourcing a turbo or perhaps even an EZ30 engine later. Tearing down the donor and getting an engine to work again once moved scare me the most, probably those with more experience will say it's other things like body fitment I should be more worried about. So if your looking to share the experience with a reasonably handy, 51 year old (just you don't think I'm some bug eyed teen dreaming of his first ride) car enthusiast, I'm in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello ,if the top of the windshield is at eye level,then no wipers are required, I own and operate a garage in Toronto,certify cars for a living,no third brake light is required,i,v certified many kit cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isventzouris View Post
    Hello ,if the top of the windshield is at eye level,then no wipers are required,
    In other words, the answer to your question is yes, you do need wipers.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    is a windshield necessary to pass inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I am in Ottawa and building an 818S, can we trailer the finished car to you for certification, I would rather take it to someone who is familiar with Kit car builds than take to a garage here who has no experience.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Satmarshall, I am also in the middle of a build, I'm in Limoges about 20 mins down the 417 east, It would be great to bounce ideas off each other

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theburner9 View Post
    is a windshield necessary to pass inspection?
    From what I understand (in Ontario) if you have a windshield you need wipers. If you don't have a windshield, obviously you don't need them. Pretty sure you don't need a windshield to Safety (obviously you would be removing it just to pass the test, which may be frowned upon by whoever is doing the inspection).