Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Confusion over Computer/Harness for LS2 with the 24x or 58x Crankshaft Reluctor?

Post Thanks / Like

Confusion over Computer/Harness for LS2 with the 24x or 58x Crankshaft Reluctor?

One thing about building the GTM (or any car for that matter), you learn something new every day...

I went through a bit of unnecessary grief yesterday, based on information that I was given on the LS2 forum, that was half correct. I was told that if the computer module had three connections, I had an "E40" computer. And the E40 computer is not compatible with the LS2 with 58x reluctor. This information was not entirely correct, and led to some fairly heavy frustration...

I had originally bought an LS2 Harness & Computer Kit for my GTM, from Factory Five. When I bought the kit, I specifically mentioned that my Engine had the 58x Reluctor. So when I received the harness kit, I believed that I had the correct parts.

I sent the Computer off to a well know Computer Guru, here on the forum, to be re-flashed. He was also supposed to re-work the harness to fit the GTM layout. (The harness didn't get re-worked. It was done by Whitby's, and they did a great job. I'm hoping that the computer did actually get re-programmed). I guess we'll know pretty soon... the guy sure banked my money though...

So today I was "told" that the computer and harness (that have already been installed and wired) probably aren't compatible with my LS2. I got a bit upset about potentially needing to replace them. Since they've both been re-worked, I can't return them for replacements. As a result, I figured that I'm looking at buying another harness and computer: the third one for my car.

Before I shell out another 1000 to 1500 dollars for a new harness and Computer, I called Jeff Collins to let him know what I thought was going on. He suggested that I call John Spears (owner of Speartech) and see what his thoughts were.

I'm glad I made that call. I explained the "issue" to John, and right away, he told me what to look for.

John said that GM Performance Parts doesn't sell the 24x compatible computer/harness as an aftermarket kit. It was used only on initial C6 production vehicles. So if you end up with one of those harnesses, it came from a donor car or came with the purchase of a used engine.

I was told, on the LS2 Forum, that if you have three connectors on the Computer Module, you have an E40. This is what led to my original frustration...
    John said that the way to visually tell if you have the E40 or the E38/E67 is by the size and orientation of the connectors.
    From left to Right:
    Large, Small, Large = the E40
    Small, Large, Large = the E38 or E67

Also, if you look at the top right of the computer (between the 2nd or 3rd fins) you can see a casting number of E38, E40, or E67. You may have to disconnect the connectors to see it though.

So armed with correct information, I called Jeff back and asked him to check the marking on the computer. He saw that it is, in fact, an E67. That and the E38 are both compatible with the LS2 that has the 58x Crankshaft Reluctor wheel.

Apparently I have an "E67" computer, which is actually compatible with the LS2 w/58x Crankshaft Reluctor wheel.

This has certainly taught me a lesson. While specific forums are a great place to get information about certain things, it's also up to the individual seeking that information, to do their own homework to validate it. Especially where hundreds or thousands of dollars are involved. Ask & Trust the pros when you need to.

I know that most people are going the LS3 route, so this really isn't an issue for them.

But
    I hope that this helps others to make sense out of the computer/harness confusion that can come along with the LS2 Crate motors that have either 24x, or 58x Crankshaft reluctor wheels.

(By the way, if you do buy a used LS2 engine, be sure to find out which reluctor it has! If it's the 24x, you'll need the harness that went with that engine.)
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-05-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    If you check where the harness plugs into the crank sensor....If the sensor is black, it's for a 24X, the GMPP harness will NOT plug into it and it's the easiest way to determine whether the egine is a 24X or 58X, This plug needs to be gray in color (58X).

On the GMPP harness there should be no need to reprogram the computer. One of the great benefit of the GMPP harness is that there are NO vat's or other security to raise their ugly head.

It takes a LS1 or a LS6 harness to run a 24X motor.

Lingenfelter makes a Conversion module to convert a 58X motor to run on a 24X harness (I have it in front of me) BUT you can't (as I discovered) go the other way :I.e. run a 24X motor off a 58X harness.

I ended up pulling my motor, flipping it over on a stand and ordered the parts to convert my 24X LS2 to a 58X. Only problem is my motor guy was concerned about lining up the 58X reluctor wheel correctly onto the crank and seeing he had a spare crank with the 58X wheel already on it, he just swapped it out. (I think he said it came out of a Chevy Cobalt?) It was about $80 in parts and about $400 in labor to convert it over.
    I am using the AIM dash again and one of the great points of the GMPP harness (58X) is that instead of splitting a bunch of wires for different sensors for guages (In this case all but fuel (even gear indicator is in the aim dash) guages are in the Aim dash and it plugs directly into the obd2 port and gets all of it's reading via this one plug!
    Last edited by fact5racer; 04-05-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling